I sat down with these three guitars yesterday at a local shop, and was very impressed. I liked the neck on the EVH quiet a bit. The San Dimas had a similar neck with the rosewood fretboard. Both were very fast necks, but I preferred the maple on the EVH. Both were unfinished and very fast though. The Jackson SL2T also felt nice.

2008 Gibson LP
1968 Gibson LP
2005 Am Strat Del

88 Marsh JCM 800 1/2 stack
05 Marsh AVT50
08 H & K Triamp Mk. II
07 Orange PPC 212
08 Dr. Z 212
Last edited by 996ttcab at Nov 7, 2008,
As things happen, unfinished necks absorb water. So when you play, you're gonna sweat, and it absorbs it. I was reading this in a science textbook today, for some reason

It'll feel nice to begin with, but after a few months/years, it'll be not as nice to play. In theory.

Just to say.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
As things happen, unfinished necks absorb water. So when you play, you're gonna sweat, and it absorbs it. I was reading this in a science textbook today, for some reason

It'll feel nice to begin with, but after a few months/years, it'll be not as nice to play. In theory.

Just to say.

It's not been mentioned often, but one does notice Van Halen's original Frankenstrat has rather fallen out of usage live.
Speaking of which, DON'T get the Frankenstrat thing. Regardless of how it plays and sounds, it's got one pickup at the bridge and just one control knob. Not exactly the most versatile piece of kit. Add to that the EVH imagery - forge an image for yourself, because nobody likes somebody with NO originality or sound of their own. It's why AC/DC are the only really successful band like that. Because they invented their sound, and no matter how well you copy it, you're not Angus Young so it won't sell.
The finishes on those guitars will grow old to you, as well. But if that's what you go in for, get either of the two that's not the EVH.
Quote by Lil Macker

Just to say.

It wont feel bad if you clean it often.

but it WILL get a bit heavier, due to absorbation.
Quote by konigstiger
PCSpeaker is right,

Damn right I am.

Bugera 333xl > Crybaby Wah > Marshall Guv'Nor > Boss SD1 > J&D Les Paul / Vintage Lemon Drop / Modded HSH Squier / Vintage Warp / Standard Squier Strat /Tanglewood Acoustic!
No, I am not going to buy any of them. Just thought I would share that they played well and I am picky. Finishes are not really my cup of tea either. I walked in to buy strings and the owner kept handing me new guitars to play so I played them a little.

I did ask whether I could order my own plain single color guitar with the EVH neck. I, however, have a Fender Custom Shop on the way so I am pretty set for now.

Owner has them on ebay so I snagged the photos off ebay . . .
2008 Gibson LP
1968 Gibson LP
2005 Am Strat Del

88 Marsh JCM 800 1/2 stack
05 Marsh AVT50
08 H & K Triamp Mk. II
07 Orange PPC 212
08 Dr. Z 212
Last edited by 996ttcab at Nov 7, 2008,
Quote by 996ttcab
No, I am not going to buy any of them. Just thought I would share that they played well and I am picky. Finishes are not really my cup of tea either. I walked in to buy strings and the owner kept handing me new guitars to play so I played them a little.

I did ask whether I could order my own plain single color guitar with the EVH neck. I, however, have a Fender Custom Shop on the way so I am pretty set for now.

Owner has them on ebay so I snagged the photos off ebay . . .

You have a 60s Les Paul, the new standard, Marshall and Dr Z amps and a Fender CUSTOM SHOP on its way?

I do so envy thee. ._.

If you want an EVH style neck, I'm pretty sure the MusicMan Axis (once the Van Halen model) has the same neck but beefier tone. I think. Try it and find out, I'm not sure.
Shame Peavey Wolfgangs are out of production. If you find one secondhand, try that out as well. Same kinds of neck, I'm pretty sure.

Edit: AND Hughes and Kettner? WOW!