Okay so im a kid who hasnt traveled a lot, so i have a shitty perception of distance. Im planning my bands tour right now, and i need like 17 days worth of shows in a row.

Is this a realistic goal?
How much should i expect to spend on gas in a day? (minivan and uhaul trailer)
How many miles should we drive a day before the next show?

thanks,
Adam
yeah dude that is a lot. and a minvan and uhaul will probably get like 8-12 miles to the gallon. You will be lucky if he break even on the gas money from the tour.
at your age like that? 17 days?! i'll bet on the 5th day your all gonna call it quits, like you said 17 straight shows is giong to kill you...

but the real problem is the money... unless your rich

-------

have you listed out all the places your going to do a show on?
have you estimated the distance between places? then how much gas money you can spend between places?

where are you going to play your shows? on bars, hotels, etc.?

-------

if you're planning on a tour make it at least weeks earlier, so that you can estimate all your needs (gas. money etc.).
Quote by GuitarGod_92
Oh my ***ing god that pron one is like the best one ever and i have seen all of em. Congrats dude you just beat Kensai.
Last edited by DGBnpiy at Nov 7, 2008,
space out your shows so that you can get a little comfy with where you're playing for each show...
My bands called Pinkleef

here are our dates:
June 5- Springfield, Illinois
June 6- Indianapolis, Indiana
June 7- Columbus, Ohio
June 8- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
June 9- OFF
June 10- Buffalo, New York
June 11- Cleveland, Ohio
June 12- Detroit, Michigan
June 13- Ann Arbor, Michigan
June 14- Kalamazoo, Michigan
June 15- Chicago, Illinois
June 16- Chicago, Illinois
June 17- Milwaukee, Wisconsin
June 18- Madison, Wisconsin
June 19- Chicago, Illinois
June 20- Indianapolis, Indiana
June 21- Springfield, Illinois
June 22- ST LOUIS MISSOURI MY HOMETOWN W0000T

this is all tenative. we mite only play once or twice in chicago.

ive calcualted the gas, and its not that bad. plus we get almost fully refunded for gas money by the venues. were planing on making most of our money from CD sales
ive calcualted the gas, and its not that bad. plus we get almost fully refunded for gas money by the venues. were planing on making most of our money from CD sales

If this is your first tour, you aren't going to sell JACK for CDs to make up the cost of lodging and food, much less a minor emergency or a breakdown--no matter how many fans let you crash at their places, it's still going to add up pretty quick.

The truth is that people are very reticent about spending $10 or $15 on a band's CD or T shirt after seeing them once and being new to their music, no matter how good they are. Why? Because they can probably get it on the internet for free, frankly, and second, these economic times don't encourage people to make impulse purchases on a band they just saw at a bar. I've seen plenty of bands knock 'em dead live, and sell 2 CDs to a bar full of people who just danced and cheered them on for 90 minutes.

2 CD sales = starving musicians.

My advice: cut down on the tour dates a great deal, and concentrate on spreading out regionally and being a draw near where you live. That will build you a fan base and nest egg you can lean on when you do go on a bigger tour.
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
Quote by ajmasterjaydude
My bands called Pinkleef

here are our dates:
June 5- Springfield, Illinois...
June 22- ST LOUIS MISSOURI MY HOMETOWN W0000T

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Figure out what this is going to cost you in gas. Google Map it to find the distance, add about 20% for things like getting lost, going to the store, etc. Look at what you get for mpg.

Consider food and lodging for the four of you. Don't forget insurance, and you will want some money for getting you through some of the duller parts. You guys sound really very good for your age. Make sure you get insurance on your gear too.

As far as lodging goes, you might have a hard time getting a hotel room at your age. Of course, you'll want to avoid hotels because they're expensive. Seventeen days at the Super 8 is still going to be close to $1500. At least you'll get a free continental breakfast out of it. Four guys plus gear plus a van is a recipe for disaster if it is all going in the van. Good call on the trailer....which brings me to......

I do wonder who is driving. I wouldn't let my teenager take my van on the road for two and a half weeks with a bunch of friends on a tour of cities they're not used to driving in - especially if it's not even my kid driving, but one of his friends. And also considering that driving with a trailer can be a whole other bag of tricks at times. A rental company won't touch you with a ten foot pole.

And June... you're not still in school? You're going to blow off exams? Not if you were my kid you wouldn't.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
thanks for all the help guys, some of these comments are really helpful.

at least 1 or 2 of our parents are going with us
also, were leaving the day after school gets out. my parents would NEVER let me miss exams lol.
what venues in chicago are you looking at?

I am from the area and gig frequently and can let you know if I know anything about those venues
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
An agency? then tahts going to each up cash too, while it is more work to book stuff yourself - an agency will take a nice chunk while still leaving you with the expenses so that should be something to think about.
you need to set up a budget first, and see what if you want to do is even feasible, before you even think about going on tour.

Food, gas, (im guessing you'll be sleeping in the van?), emergency money, all things you need to think about before going.
Quote by ehlert99
An agency? then tahts going to each up cash too, while it is more work to book stuff yourself - an agency will take a nice chunk while still leaving you with the expenses so that should be something to think about.

Depends on the agency really.
A good agency will take everything into consideration. They will work out the costs, what the band needs and what the agency needs. All being well, the venue gets a band at the right price and the band gets at least enough money to survive on the road with after the agent has taken his percentage. It's not really in the agent's best interest to leave a band skint after every gig because that would probably result in a tour getting cancelled halfway though, which will lose the agent money.
Theoreticaly, the more an agent makes from your gigs, the more money he generates for the band.
Which brings me to percentages, always try to get a NET percentage deal with agents, managers, ect, rather than a GROSS percentage deal.
When someone agrees to a NET deal, it means that their percentage is taken out after expenses have been payed for. GROSS means that their percentage is taken out before expenses have been deducted.

Let's say you play a gig for $100 and your agent/manager gets 20%. ($20)
In a GROSS deal, you'll have to give him that $20, but it may have cost you $20 vehicle hire, $20 in petrol just to get to the gig and £20 to pay the sound engineer, leaving you with just $40, suddenly the agent/manager's percentage is looking more like half of your money.
Under a NET agreement, he'd only be getting 20% of that $40.

ajmasterjaydude, that really is a grueling schedule, I really would advise you to have one day off every few dates, otherwise you are going to run yourself into the ground, especialy with your inexperience.
I honestly don't want that to sound condescending, I'm just going off your age. You're obviously a very talented young man if agents and parents are going to the trouble of helping you set up a tour like this, but take it from a seasoned touring musician, playing 17 dates straight would be seriously hard work for even a seasoned pro to do.
And it's nothing to do with drink and drugs either.
It sounds simple doesn't it, you drive for a day, play a gig, grab some food and get some sleep, repeat the next day, absolute doddle..... but it's anything but.
The reality is, you spend the day sitting in a cramped vehicle that after a while starts to feel like a prison cell, by the time you get out of the vehicle your legs and hips and back are quite stiff, this gets worse as the tour continues.
You invariably constantly eat shit. Roadside cafes, pizza, junk food, or if you're more sensible, sandwiches that you have made yourself from various fresh ingredients bought at a supermarket. But even this isn't really a healthily balanced diet.
So you're eating shit and slouching in a vehicle all day for 17 days straight. Then on top of that, you have the gigs themselves, which involves a lot of nervous energy and for many entertaining musicians an almost 'aerobic' workout for the duration of the gig. It's like going from standing still to running flat out for a prolonged period of time with no warming up both physicaly and mentaly, every day.
This soon takes its toll on a person.
But wait, it gets worse, there are a whole bandfull of you going through this, while at the same time being locked in a vehicle together for most of the time. People get cranky and start taking it out on each other, before you know it, the whole band's immediate future is in jeopardy, best friends are suddenly fighting with each other and playing gigs together is becoming a real drag.

Because of all of the above, by the time you are 7 or 8 dates into your tour you will feel completely spent and continualy physicaly and emotionaly tired, you'll literaly feel ill and all you'll want to do is go home. By the end of the tour, if you stick it out, you may be suffering from serious depression and be physicaly malnourished, vowing never to do another tour ever again for as long as you live.

If you want to really enjoy your tour and get the most out of it, give yourselves 24 hours recuperation time every 4 dates or so. Just spend a day walking around a town or city (which gives you light exercise, just what your body will need after a few days touring) taking in it's sights, go to museums or art galleries, (which helps you re-centre yourself emotionaly) eat two or three healthy cooked meals during the day (which properly re-fuels you) and get a good night's sleep (a by-product of walking around all day and eating well) before continuing the tour the day after, feeling fully re-energised.
You'll have more fun that way, your gigs will be better and you will have probably learned a few things about culture and art along the way too, which is always good for inspiring artistic people like us musicians.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Nov 10, 2008,
Where'd that clapping icon go?

Also on those days off, you'll really appreciate some 'you' time. After a few days of spending every moment with your bandmates either shoulder to shoulder in a vehicle, or being as close as within arm's reach as you play your gig up on the stage, or working in close proximity while you all hump gear, and then sleeping in close proximity as you all huddle for space in the van or whatever, tensions will rise. It will be good for all of you to spend at least a few hours away from each other and do your own thing.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Nov 9, 2008,
Quote by axemanchris
Where'd that clapping icon go?

Also on those days off, you'll really appreciate some 'you' time. After a few days of spending every moment with your bandmates either shoulder to shoulder in a vehicle, or being as close as within arm's reach as you play your gig up on the stage, or working in close proximity while you all hump gear, and then sleeping in close proximity as you all huddle for space in the van or whatever, tensions will rise. It will be good for all of you to spend at least a few hours away from each other and do your own thing.

CT

Here it is
And agreed ^
Assuming your bandmates are of a similar age, your hormones are going to be raging like you've never felt before.
Instead of doing a tour throughout various states, stay around the states around you. Judging by where you are starting, stay in and around Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan.

Otherwise you should just do a tour all around the state you are in now.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Quote by shadesofanger
Instead of doing a tour throughout various states, stay around the states around you. Judging by where you are starting, stay in and around Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan.

Otherwise you should just do a tour all around the state you are in now.

Hmm yeah I was going to say something about that as well. The Buffalo and Pennsylvania stops seem to be out of the way. Unless you are visiting relatives, I would ask your booking agent if you could change those venues to somewhere in Ohio or Indiana or somewhere closer.

On a side note, I listened to some of your songs on your myspace.
I am quite impressed, they are high quality recordings.
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
Now that I see you are from Missouri and that you are more of an alterative band, go around the states around Missouri. Since I can't remember the states around Missouri and I don't want to look at a US map, do what I said before, stay in the states around you or stay in the current state. Also make sure you are doing shows with other bands of the same genre, sometimes venues will put you at the top of the list and will pay you more since you are traveling. They will usually give you more so you can pay for gas and food.
Quote by hostilekid

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
So since you were asking about how feasible the tour is in terms of gas and such. Go to a site like this http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004592.html. Look up driving distances.

So for example, one of your trips is going to be from Cleveland to Detroit. The distance is 175 miles. However, a key here is that you will probably spend time driving around both cities, getting lost, getting found, finding venues, finding hookers etc...

So lets add say another 15% worth of mileage.
175*.15=26
175+26=201

Divide that by your mpg (I'd say around 12-15, so lets say 13)

201/13= 15.46 Or about 15 and a half gallons of gas. Now according to http://www.clevelandgasprices.com/ gas prices are somewhere around 1.90.

So 15.5*1.90=30 dollars for that day in gas. Add food(4 members *25(hah)=100) and miscellaneous($50) and assuming free lodging, thats 180 dollars for the day. Can you cover that?
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
Quote by algemar
So since you were asking about how feasible the tour is in terms of gas and such. Go to a site like this http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004592.html. Look up driving distances.

So for example, one of your trips is going to be from Cleveland to Detroit. The distance is 175 miles. However, a key here is that you will probably spend time driving around both cities, getting lost, getting found, finding venues, finding hookers etc...

So lets add say another 15% worth of mileage.
175*.15=26
175+26=201

Divide that by your mpg (I'd say around 12-15, so lets say 13)

201/13= 15.46 Or about 15 and a half gallons of gas. Now according to http://www.clevelandgasprices.com/ gas prices are somewhere around 1.90.

So 15.5*1.90=30 dollars for that day in gas. Add food(4 members *25(hah)=100) and miscellaneous($50) and assuming free lodging, thats 180 dollars for the day. Can you cover that?

I don't know about your area but they usually go for about $125 and hour here. Expensive and the herpes are worth it.
Quote by hostilekid

Quote by GoldenBlues
I don't want to rain on your parade dude but this tour plan sucks...

Do some realistic math (food+gas+sales), then get with your "agency" and fire them for being stupid enough to book you that many shows in a row...

If I were you, I'd do a bunch of gigs within a 3 state radius (if not less). That way you can still have your "tour" but you won't destroy your band through stress and exhaustion.
PINKLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEFFFF!!!!!!!!!1
i looked you guys up on the myspace and think that memories pt 2 is a great song, but honestly i think that touring all the way to buffalo is kinda out of the way. you could always steal gas though, and beg for food
You guys are quite good, I can see why your parents are eager to help. Hope it all goes well
hey, are you being sarcastic and condesending about my favorite band The Pinkleafs. You can just up and pinkLeave this thread