Hey everyone, so ya I got a question about tabs, and I think I'm in the right part of the forum, and if I'm not please tell me so I'll know next time. anyway, I'm trying to learn how to better understand tabs, Ive read the tab lessons and I'm having a hard time under standing, I think power chords is what they are anyway they look like this

e|-------------------------------------------------------------|
B|-------------------------------------------------------------|
G|--------------------------------------------------------------|
D|-9-------9-------9------9-----/-5-------5------7----7----|
A|-9-------9-------9------9-----/-5-------5------7----7----|
E|-7--77--7--77--7-77-7-77-/-3--33--3--33-5-55-5-55-|

so ya that confuses the heck out of me, so any help would be awsome thanks in advance, oh and btw, if anyone could tell me what those asterisks are under the numbers would be great to, (What the are there for **)
Last edited by MountainBoy79 at Nov 7, 2008,
You need a guitar with 77 frets for that!
Gear:
ESP LTD EC-401FM STB
Ibanez AR307
Bugera Infinium 333XL
London City Bulldog
Line 6 Pod HD 300
Digitech Digiverb
Wishlist:
Pedalboard
No no no... hahah... don't scare 'em.

Nah man, it's simple. The **'s probably mean palm mute. If you don't know what that is, it's when you place your palm slightly in front of the bridge on the strings, thus creating a "mute." It's very useful and extremely essential in all guitar playing. Takes a while to get it down perfectly, but just practice.
Quote by MountainBoy79
Hey everyone, so ya I got a question about tabs, and I think I'm in the right part of the forum, and if I'm not please tell me so I'll know next time. anyway, I'm trying to learn how to better understand tabs, Ive read the tab lessons and I'm having a hard time under standing, I think power chords is what they are anyway they look like this

e|-------------------------------------------------------------|
B|-------------------------------------------------------------|
G|--------------------------------------------------------------|
D|-9-------9-------9------9-----/-5-------5------7----7----|
A|-9-------9-------9------9-----/-5-------5------7----7----|
E|-7--77--7--77--7-77-7-77-/-3--33--3--33-5-55-5-55-|

so ya that confuses the heck out of me, so any help would be awsome thanks in advance, oh and btw, if anyone could tell me what those asterisks are under the numbers would be great to, (What the are there for **)

it might be poorly written but you need to hit the power chord then the e string twice afterwards according to the tab while holding your power chord form. the / represents a slide.
Thanks guys, lol The numbers for the "powerchords" are those teh strings of teh frets that i need to hit for that chord? and ya sorry about the tab being poor i copied and pasted it lol, its kryptonite by three doors down, figured it would be a good first song to learn
^^ Yep.

Starting on the 7th fret. Then slide to the 3rd fret, then to the 5th. And start over.

Power chords can be played with just the 2 strings, so you might wanna try just doing 2 strings until you feel comfortable

So, (E string)/(A string). 7/9, 3/5, 5/7.