Hey all, just getting thru my first build, body done and all routed out, the neck is mostly done but still needs rounding at the back, not looking forward to that, been years since i last used a spoke shave...anyway i have no way of accurately measuring the distance from the 12th fret to the bridge, i reckon i will be the width of a fret out at very most.I would assume this will not make a big difference once its all done?????? am i right or wrong???
wrong. get some sort of measuring device, or print out a scale length that you can GUARANTEE will be correct (Ultimate template thread) and use that to measure it. it's not worth compromising your entire project for something as simple as this.
------

Shwiggity.
do you mean you wont have an accurate way of measuring between fret slots?

thats a problem.

if you just mean that the bridge'll be a fretwidth further back or forward, it should be ok as long as theres still enough room for the saddles to be adjusted for proper intonation. not ideal, but it could work.

..but get your hands on an accurate measuring device of some kind, either way. It'll be way easier in the long run...
hey james, the fretboard is ready made job, just waiting on it to arrive. so what i ment was that when i get it and attach it to the neck and finally set the neck in i will have to make sure i get the bridge to 12th right,
Go out and buy some decent metal rulers of different sizes with fine markings on, how you have got that far in a build with out one I dont know.

Guessing is not acceptable for placing a bridge, they dont have infinite intonation room and you could really f**k the guitar up by not measuring properly.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
i have metal rulers and loads off stuff, i not a guitarist, i'm a chippie by trade...but i have nothing that long, i'm making the guitar for my brother so my knowledge of guitars is very limited......what do you mean by inotation???? i am just working off plans!!
Intonation dictates how the guitar stays in tune. If the string's too long/short, the fret distance measurements won't be accurate. From this, the string will be the wrong length when playing, and thus go out for tune. This will not be easily fixable.

tl;dr: get something to measure it.
------

Shwiggity.
Lets say your scale length is 25.5"

When you place your bridge you need to place it exactly 25.5" from the nut, (if you are using a Tune O Matic bridge, you place the treble side 25.5" from the nut, and the bass side an 1/8" more further away)

now when you string your guitar up to pitch (using a decent quality tuner), you have to then fret the guitar at the 12th fret and if it plays sharp you move the saddle away from the fingerboard and if it plays flat you move the saddle closer to the fingerboard, thats checking intonation

now TOM bridges have a small amount of intonation room, thats why you move the bass side a bit further back to give more room, if you place the bridge incorrectly, the saddles may not be able to move enough for correct intonation and your guitar will never play in tune.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
i see i see i see says the blind man,it is 25.5 scale, thats what i ordered. so basically measure 25.5 from nut to bridge and i cant go wrong.....cheers for clearing that up
yeah, make sure you measure along the center line, to ensure accuracy. from there, you can draw your perpendicular line to mount your bridge.
------

Shwiggity.