this may be a stupid question, but anyways:
Lately, i've only been playing with downpicking since my alternate picking is abit sloppy and not that good, i've been playing a couple of hours today working my wrist with different songs. I can play with downpicking at pretty fast speed for a long time without getting tired in my wrist, just abit of tension and so on.
I can play these with downpicking

Bullet for my valentine = hand of blood
Bullet for my valentine (suffocating under words of sorrow) <except the solos ofc
lamb of god = laid to rest
trivium = like light to flies
avenged sevenfold = unholy confessions
I can still downpick alot faster than for example the hand of blood speed

so you think i've mastered downpicking and need to start working on my alternate picking?
Last edited by Sebbe92 at Nov 7, 2008,
Grab a metronome and do some 8th or 16th note downpicking and keep pumping up the tempo. Alternate picking is definitely a needed skill for metal too, just keep practicing both a lot. I don't know about the metalcore stuff you can play, but Laid to Rest isn't really that fast for downpicking.
yes but you haven't mastered having a good taste in music

OH!

In all seriousness, you're gunna need to work on alternate picking, it's like choosing to go around in a wheelchair versus walking..
Quote by Hadi The Ghost

OH!

In all seriousness, you're gunna need to work on alternate picking, it's like choosing to go around in a wheelchair versus walking..

When it comes to riffing, downpicking tends to have a specific "sound" to it compared to alternate picking, which many prefer.
some of the songs are quite fast for downpicking

btw, you also made the same thread a few days ago, exactly the same
^
what are you talking about? this is the first time i've done a thread about downpicking
Alternate picking is invaluble to guitar playing as a whole

Your not going to spend you whole life just playing riffs, you may want to solo one day, or play melodies etc.

Master of puppets is the hardest song I can think of for down picking, and I cant do it

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Try playing master of puppets or other metallica songs cause they're mostly downpicked from their earlier albums.
well , i can play the intro and that riff after the intro of master of puppets pretty easily downpicked without getting alot tired in the wrist

And yea, i defintely want to start soloing, but i've only played for about 9 months or so, and now im just playing what's fun, but im going to sit down really soon and really work on my alternate picking
Well cant say much for the music your listening to, lamb of God is ok. If your want to seriously test your downpicking skills you need to play some of the songs from slipknots albums. Mick an Jim are seriously fast downpickers. Get a Metronome and bump it up to the tempos to those songs. Really i think that you shouldnt be so content to focus on one technique all the time if your getting tention in your wrist at higher speeds then you need to take a fiver then start again each time pushing a little harder until you have no tightnees in your wrist. May i mention something else that will help with your wrist stamina and thats tremolo picking alotta songs in the metal catagory utilize this very important skill most of the time you may hear a song and think its downpicked but in reality they are trem picking. thats something i first learned as a beginner and then alternate picking came as i got more accurate. Keep up the practice of alternate picking even if its bad, do it slowly and as cleanly as possible until you can finally bring it to where its suppose to be.

Hope this helps you.

Keep rocking \m/
I'm assuming you do exercises and/or warmups. Just do it a few more times alternating picking styles. I practice my scales going from style to style in the middle of the scale and consciencely try not to develop any tendencies when doing exercises by keeping the patterns as random as I can. You can develop more than 1 technique at a time. Playing it correctly is more important than playing it fast. Just play slow and speed it up over time.
Quote by Hadi The Ghost

OH!

I lolled.
Originally Posted by Eric 666
if I had sex with my clone...I'd have a big dick in my ass.

Quote by Final !mpact
I mean 'Really Retarded' in the nicest way possible by the way.

Member 37 Of The RHCP fanclub.
Bruce Springsteen Fan?
My Myspace
Trust me, you don't want to become dependent on downpicking. It's a pain in the ass to get back into alt picking when you realise how important it is.
You haven't mastered downpicking until you can play master of puppets with a broken wrist.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
i cant down pick
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Downpicking has it's uses but you NEED to learn alternate picking, it's more important that you learn alternate picking well than downpicking.
Gear:

• ESP LTD SC 207
  • Washburn X200 PRO E
  • Squier Strat (in bits LOL)
  • Line 6 Toneport ux1
down picking isnt something u want to master it could turn into a bad habit deff. do alternative picking practice.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by XianXiuHong
It could turn into a bad habit if he can't alternate pick decently.

what? sry i dont really understand what ur saying there lol
he said he's sloppy at alternative picking so he down picks that's creating a habit.
ur not really gonna progress to far unless u can alternative pick well instead of down picking.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by gstacey1
what? sry i dont really understand what ur saying there lol
he said he's sloppy at alternative picking so he down picks that's creating a habit.
ur not really gonna progress to far unless u can alternative pick well instead of down picking.

I mean he can practice downpicking all he wants if he wants to be a good rhythm player but since he already has a small grasp on alternate picking, the only thing that's stopping him from progressing in alternate picking is not practicing it, downpicking purely without even attempting alternate picking at all would make downpicking a bad habit but since the TS already knows how to alternate pick a little bit, it shouldn't turn into something bad.
Quote by XianXiuHong
I mean he can practice downpicking all he wants if he wants to be a good rhythm player but since he already has a small grasp on alternate picking, the only thing that's stopping him from progressing in alternate picking is not practicing it, downpicking purely without even attempting alternate picking at all would make downpicking a bad habit but since the TS already knows how to alternate pick a little bit, it shouldn't turn into something bad.

ah i see what ur saying now! and i sort of agree but it really all depends on how much of a grasp they have on it. my friend has been playing for about a year and a half and still is very sloppy at alternative picking and switches to just downpicking because he would never really practice alternatve picking. But if TS still practices alternative picking ecsepcialy (sp?) with the song he can already down pick he will advance alot in the guitar world.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by gstacey1
ah i see what ur saying now! and i sort of agree but it really all depends on how much of a grasp they have on it. my friend has been playing for about a year and a half and still is very sloppy at alternative picking and switches to just downpicking because he would never really practice alternatve picking. But if TS still practices alternative picking ecsepcialy (sp?) with the song he can already down pick he will advance alot in the guitar world.

That's it
I used to be able to downpick really fast but since learning to alternate pick and using that all the time my downpicking speed has gone out the window
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by XianXiuHong
That's it

My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
I recommend learning Snow *hey oh* by the Chili Peppers for Alternate picking, it will REALLY improve your picking if you can learn to play it at the correct tempo.
There's no such thing as mastering a technique. You can always get better.

About practicing alternate picking, is a must, because soon you'll encounter some licks that are imposible to play it all downpicking (Damage Inc. intro riff) and it'll force you to use alternate picking.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by Sjusovaren
When it comes to riffing, downpicking tends to have a specific "sound" to it compared to alternate picking, which many prefer.

yeah, but its always good to have variety.

like MOP would sound crap with alternate picking but something like She Wolf would sound crap if you tried to play it with downstrokes (if thats even possible)