Poll: Dimarzio or Bareknuckle
Poll Options
View poll results: Dimarzio or Bareknuckle
Dimarzio
7 33%
Bareknuckle
14 67%
Voters: 21.
Hey people I've looked into both companies to change the pickup selection from my PGM301 which is currently

• DiMarzio® Paf Pro (H) neck pu
• DiMarzio® Jem Single (S) mid pu
• DiMarzio® Paf Pro (H) bridge pu

After much research on Dimarzio pickups i came to this setup

To

• DiMarzio® Air Norton (H) neck pu
• DiMarzio® Jem Single (S) mid pu
• DiMarzio® Tone Zone (H) bridge pu

Or with Bareknuckle

To

Bareknuckle The Mule (H) neck pu
Bareknuckle Mother's Milk (S) mid pu
Bareknuckle Miracle Man (H) Bridge

I e-mailed Bareknuckle saying this

Hi there, I currently have a PGM301 which is basswood, with these pickups installed

(Look at start of post)

I'm looking to changing to Dimarzio Tone Zone/Air Norton

However first of all i would like to hear what you have to offer, here is what I'm looking for

Bridge pickup

Humbucker
High Gain (As high as possible) - Paul Gilbert Style
High Output
Clarity between notes ( Muddy is not what i want)
Bass>Mids>Treble

Middle (Single Coil)
Clean twangy Strat sound- Hendrix Style

Neck pickup
Warm clean tones
Fat Distorted tones- SRV style

Thanks a lot, i look forward to reading your reply

Anthony

Here was there reply

Hi Anthony, answers below:
Bridge pickup
You have a couple of choices here-Gilbert uses low output humbuckers these days but to get his Racer X tone I would recommend the Miracle Man humbucker-other good choices that would suit your Ibanez would be the Nailbomb and the Holydiver
Middle
Mother's Milk single coil
Neck pickup
The Mule neck humbucker kindest regards

With the dimarzios i know Gilbert, Vai, Malmsteem, satriani, John 5 and petrucci use them. Sure the money they get from endorsements helps but they wouldn't use them if they sounded like trash, i can be sure about this with regards to Gilbert.

Please vote

Dimarzio or Bareknuckle!!!

For those unfamiliar with either of these two brands here are links

http://www.dimarzio.com/site/#/pickups/

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/

Thanks!
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Last edited by sharpant at Nov 7, 2008,
(Personal Opinion) Bareknuckles kick the crap out of dimarzios, and yes ive used them both side by side. If you are looking to get someone elses EXACT tone who uses dimarzios, then they would be the way to go. If you want an all round better quality, better sounding, handbuilt, pickup though, it has to be BKPUs
Diezel, Motherfucker
Quote by Darkice
Hm I love the Dimarzios and they are a lot cheaper but if your just asking which is better I would have to say the Bare knuckles

Not in the UK. They cost about the same as BKP. Out of interest, what do WB pickups cost over there, if you can get them?
Wb? o they are an American brand so a lot
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by mh400nt
(Personal Opinion) Bareknuckles kick the crap out of dimarzios, and yes ive used them both side by side. If you are looking to get someone elses EXACT tone who uses dimarzios, then they would be the way to go. If you want an all round better quality, better sounding, handbuilt, pickup though, it has to be BKPUs

i'd agree with that, though i should add that a lot of my preference for bareknuckles is personal preference.

I don't think i've tried dimarzios head to head with BKPs, but any time i do try dimarzios they sound a bit flat after being used to BKPs. I have tried duncans head to head with BKPs, and the BKPs are much better, in my opinion.

It's up to you, of course, and mh400nt makes a very good point in that, if there's a very specific tone you wish to nail which you know is more or less due to a specific pickup model, it might make sense to go for that.

dimarzios are probably a little cheaper over here than BKPs, but probably not all that much(a dimarzio could be £70-£80, while a BKP will be £90 or so).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hey dave! what pickups are you using?
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
oh, i have a bunch of different ones... i've got a miracle man, that's the only one out of the BKPs which tim recommended which i've tried... i have a set of swinesheads too, but they need to be wired up and i haven't used them for a while... i did like them a lot when they were wired up though. i have a duncan jb/'59 set too in my edwards, my other pickups are stock though...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
can i ask what guitar you use the miracle man in, what position and what tones you get from it? Also out of 10 how high gain is it?
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
i use it in my custom legra V... mahogany/maple neck through, mahogany wings, maple top. Bridge position. I haven't messed too much with the pickup heights, i'd say it's pretty high gain, but not ridiculously high... i'd say my JB is a little hotter if anything. the MM is pretty clear-sounding, considering its output, though, so the extra compression of the JB might be making it seem a little hotter (plus, as i said, i haven't messed with the heights so maybe my JB is a bit closer to the strings).

oh, out of 10 i'd say about 7 or 8. but best take that with a pinch of salt, as i don't have too many other high gain pickups to compare it to.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well I've got the choice of looking into the Warpig and the Nailbomb but I've been told that the Miracle man has more gain than the Nailbomb and the warpig is probably going to be too muddy ( Trivium , BFMV )

Shame they both have better names!
From Tim

Miracle Man is ceramic so has tight bass, smooth mids and bright highs also more power
than the Nailbomb which sounds very organic and rich in the mids with warmer bass and highs.

Looks like the Miracle man is a good in between
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
yeah. i mean, i haven't tried the other two, but his description of the MM is spot-on (though obviously it would be, as he designed it!).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have the Miracle Man in my Charvel and I love it.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
ok so here's what I'm getting for christmas!!

Bridge-Miracle man- Lead - Gilbert
Middle- Mothers milk - Strat - Hendrix
Neck- The Mule- Warmth - SRV

Thanks a lot dave and everyone else for your help, as you've made me choose BK over DM
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12

The Mircale Man and Mothers Milk are great pick ups, I have the combo in the Charvel and it's a real nice combination of tones.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
don't thank us until you have them and like them...

<_<

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you are unhappy with any pickup purchased directly from Bare Knuckle Pickups or would like to change it for another model, return the pickup in it's original condition by registered mail within 14 days of purchase date and we will either change or refund the pickup. Please telephone to obtain a returns reference as unsolicited returns cannot be accepted. Custom ordered pickups cannot be returned for exchange or refund.

Now that is what i call customer service
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Bareknuckles have amazing customer service, he custom made my Mother's Milk in EMG style so they'd fit my Charvel for not extra charge.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
sounds good.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nice what position do you have it in? Do you get good hendix/blues twangy tones out of it?
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Ive got a custom ceramic Nailbomb in the bridge position of my caparison dellinger, and two trilogy suite single coils, altogether it makes one fuck off guitar with awesome clean and high gain tones! Especially with a Diezel Herbert
Diezel, Motherfucker
Quote by sharpant
Nice what position do you have it in? Do you get good hendix/blues twangy tones out of it?

I have the Mothers Milk neck and middle. I don't get that tone out of it, mainly coz I don't want that kind of tone out of them, and my amp isn't really suited, but I'd happily say that you could get that tone out of them.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
thanks for that did you conisder the miracle man before getting the nailbomb? I know the name isnt as sppealing
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12