Hello All!

While I have lurked here for some time, I am now registered. Plus, I am now in the market for a new amp head and cabinet (I've received some unexpected $$$). I know that I need to try whatever amps I am considering, but I am looking for a good starting point.

The music I play is mostly classic rock, as well as some metal. Over the past few months, I have been studying Alex Lifeson fairly heavily. In addition to a fair amount of gain, I'd like something that does cleans well, and responds well to differing attacks/volume settings. My use would be for primarily Jam sessions, although getting into a band is not out of the question.

Being located in rural KY, I don't have a huge selection to try out, so I'm looking for opinions before I travel to an urban area to check them out.

Two amps that have peaked my interest are the H&K Triamp MKII (but I don't think I want to pay 3.5K for a head), and the VHT Sig:X. I expect that there are many more out there that may suit my needs, but I haven't had time to research them all.

I am tempted to order a Sig:X and a VHT cab, and return them if they don't suit me. But people are so love/hate with VHT that it makes me a bit nervous.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Marshall JCM800 ?
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
I'd like to keep it at $3K or under.

Isn't the JCM a one channel amp? Doesn't that limit what one can get out of the amp (at least with minimal tweeking). Just asking, as I haven't played one.

I've not looked at the Mesa MK IV's. Haven't they been discontinued? What is the market like for used ones? Are they plentiful?

I'll need to do a bit of research on the JSX, as all of the reviews I've seen have been raving.

Thanks for the help

Any other ideas? I'd like to have a fairly long list prior to heading off to the city.
as far as i can tell any hughes and kettner amp can get you the tone you're looking for. you can get a 2nd hand mint triamp mk II for around 1500 and the mkI for 1000. personally i like them both but the mkII has a more modern voicing from what i heard/
marshall jcm 2000 dsl. The amp is very versatile you can get a broad range of older marshall amp tones from early plexi to jcm 800. The clean channel sounds great too.
Quote by KY-91C2
I'd like to keep it at $3K or under.

Isn't the JCM a one channel amp? Doesn't that limit what one can get out of the amp (at least with minimal tweeking). Just asking, as I haven't played one.

I've not looked at the Mesa MK IV's. Haven't they been discontinued? What is the market like for used ones? Are they plentiful?

I'll need to do a bit of research on the JSX, as all of the reviews I've seen have been raving.

Thanks for the help

Any other ideas? I'd like to have a fairly long list prior to heading off to the city.

Definitely do that. Great amp. Is the 3k for both amp and cab or just amp?
look into an orange rockerverb 50 great cleans and great gain

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Triamps for some reason lose mucho value used, so you could look into that (unless you're dissatisfied and need to resell it again ) also check out a JSX, Mark IV, Peavey XXX/Ultra (both of these amps have a similar voicing to the JSX but are different-sounding, which you may prefer)
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Triamps for some reason lose mucho value used,

same goes for mesa boogie triple rec, prs custom series, and diezel. i seem them go for around 1800 or so when the retail value was over 3 grand.
First, thanks to everyone for their input. It is very much appreciated.

Here's the list so far...

Cornford Mk50 - Don't know if I'll be able to find one to try, so I may have to search the web for soundclips.
H&K Triamp MkII - No H&K dealers in my area, so if chosen it will be a leap of faith. Although I am a big Lifeson fan, sooo...
Marshall JCM 800
Marshall JCM2000 DSL
Orange Rockerverb 50
Mesa Boogie Mk IV
Peavey JSX
Peavey Ultra
Peavey XXX
VHT Sig:X

Should I look at the 6505's, or Mesa Dual/tripleRectifiers (although it seems that everyone has Mesa's in my area). What about the Marshall JVM's? I apologize for my ignorance. I've never looked at heads and cabs before.

Also, I am wary of guitar mag reviews, since many of the products are also provide ad revenue to the magazines. So I wouldn't call their reviews impartial. I'd much rather hear opinions from real people.

Thanks again!
Gear

95 Gibson LP Std
91 Fender Am Std Strat
Peavey Wolfgang Special (USA)

Fender Blues Jr.
Johnson JM120

Vox Tonelab LE
You'd dig a nice Splawn Nitro or Pro Mod
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Id actually recommend a Quickrod. he doesnt really need all the gain and low end that the pro-mod and nitro have, and the quickrod will be much more responsive to what he's playing, specially for those lifeson tones.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Id actually recommend a Quickrod. he doesnt really need all the gain and low end that the pro-mod and nitro have, and the quickrod will be much more responsive to what he's playing, specially for those lifeson tones.

+1

If only I remembered the Quickrod existed when I typed my response
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
I had never heard of Splawn. Do you know of any good sound clips of these amps? Or any other pertinent info on them (I'm going to hit their website now).
Gear

95 Gibson LP Std
91 Fender Am Std Strat

Fender Blues Jr.
Johnson JM120

Vox Tonelab LE
Quote by KY-91C2
Should I look at the 6505's, or Mesa Dual/tripleRectifiers (although it seems that everyone has Mesa's in my area). What about the Marshall JVM's? I apologize for my ignorance. I've never looked at heads and cabs before.
The 6505 and the Rectos are best suited towards modern styles, especially metal, so if you're looking for a classic rock tone, it might pull one off, but not as well as some of the other options people have mentioned.

I personally think the Marshall JVM's are great, but that with what they go for, you should definitely try out the other options you're considering too to see what you like best. Think of it is a very versatile head capable of anything you throw at it, like many other amps around the $1400-$2K point.
3k budget and not 1 ENGL recommendation, what are you guys on? Look in to the ENGL Powerball more than capable of the classic rock sound and gain on tap.

http://houseofenglamps.com/jpg/HiRes/E_645.jpg
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Last edited by sharpant at Nov 12, 2008,
I don't think the JCM2000 DSL is what you should be looking at, I have one and I love it, but if you have up t $3000 there's much better.
As for pretty much any Mark amp, especially now that they are discontinued, you can easily find them around this time of year from college kids that are selling them to get their girlfriend something for christmas or some shit like that. Ebay and craigslist, man, they pop up all over the place.
If you lived in Canada I would suggest a Peters Gryphon with a nice Mesa cab..... but... since no...

I am going to say that the VHT deliverance is a great choice.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
zakkwyldefan79:

I'm in Central KY, outside of Frankfort.

Again, thanks to all for the suggestions. It seems that the list of potential options is getting larger!

I need to make it to the guitar shops in Lexington to see what they have, and get a feel for the brands, and hopefully start narrowing the list down!
Gear

95 Gibson LP Std
91 Fender Am Std Strat

Fender Blues Jr.
Johnson JM120

Vox Tonelab LE
Quote by KY-91C2
zakkwyldefan79:

I'm in Central KY, outside of Frankfort.

Again, thanks to all for the suggestions. It seems that the list of potential options is getting larger!

I need to make it to the guitar shops in Lexington to see what they have, and get a feel for the brands, and hopefully start narrowing the list down!

I've got some family in Frankfort. I live in Morehead. We're between Lexington & Ashland on I-64. I've been to the Guitar Center in Lexington but I don't know where any others are at. I've heard of others ones I just haven't found them yet.
Time to revisit my search.

I've narrowed it down to two: A Splawn Quickrod and the VHT Sig:X. I like the H&K Triamp, but I'm always late when I see one for under $2K, so I've crossed it off the list.

I've played through JCM 800s, but never a Splawn, but I figure that should give me a good approximation of the sound of the amp. It is a sound that I typically gravitate towards. Even when I'm playing around with models, I tend to lean towards JCM 800 tones.

But I can't help but be attracted to the Sig:X. The possbilities with that amp seem endless. The problem is that I don't have the ability to try one (no one carries VHT locally). Could I dial in a tone similar to a JCM 800, but still have the plethora of "other" tonal possiblities with this amp. Or am I just being a kid in the candy store, saying "look at all of those cool switches and dials, this has to be cool," even though it may not do what I am looking for

So here's your last chance for additional input if you would like to help me with my decision.

Thanks!
Gear

95 Gibson LP Std
91 Fender Am Std Strat

Fender Blues Jr.
Johnson JM120

Vox Tonelab LE
The Sig:X looks crazy awesome, and I've been wanting one myself. But I don't have up to 3k to spend.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Why Sig:X? It's being touted as the most versatile amp in the VHT line. Now, it may not be, I can only go with what I have read. That's why I haven't looked at the ULs.

If the ULs are versatile also, then they would be a consideration.
Gear

95 Gibson LP Std
91 Fender Am Std Strat

Fender Blues Jr.
Johnson JM120

Vox Tonelab LE