ive made two guitar bodies before and now i want to try making a neck. I need to know where i can purchase pre bent fret wire to a specific radius. If i was going to have a neck with a radius of only 20" would straight fretwire bend to the slight radius therefore making it suitable or would it not insert properly ? Any advise on fretting would be much appreciated.
I bend my fretwire by hand for a 20" radius it should be easy. Warmoth sells fretwire bent enough to go up to 12". You need to have it bent a little or it won't work. Also a fret press is great and easy to make or worth buying if you have a drill press but hammering them in with a brass hammer still works. That's how I did it until I made by fret press. I use a straight piece of plywood with 220 grit sandpaper stuck on with doublestick tape and 400 grit on the other side for leveling. I sharpie the frets before I elevel and keep sanding until there's no black on the tops than do it again and sharpie them again and crown them until there's only a thin line of black on the top.
Quote by 420 FREAK
I bend my fretwire by hand for a 20" radius it should be easy. Warmoth sells fretwire bent enough to go up to 12". You need to have it bent a little or it won't work. Also a fret press is great and easy to make or worth buying if you have a drill press but hammering them in with a brass hammer still works. That's how I did it until I made by fret press. I use a straight piece of plywood with 220 grit sandpaper stuck on with doublestick tape and 400 grit on the other side for leveling. I sharpie the frets before I elevel and keep sanding until there's no black on the tops than do it again and sharpie them again and crown them until there's only a thin line of black on the top.

How did you make your fret press?

I was thinking of using one of those presses you get for electric drills, but I don't know enough about the Caul used to press them in with.

OP. I would make a section of MDF with a curved edge about 12 inches long, with the curve of a 19 inch circle, then bend your wire around that. You can make an arm with rollers on that will follow the curve.
Quote by Skeet UK
How did you make your fret press?

I was thinking of using one of those presses you get for electric drills, but I don't know enough about the Caul used to press them in with.

OP. I would make a section of MDF with a curved edge about 12 inches long, with the curve of a 19 inch circle, then bend your wire around that. You can make an arm with rollers on that will follow the curve.

Sorry I never saw this mine only cost me $4.45 here's a thread I made of how to do it on project guitar only took me maybe 20 minutes and I saved probably 45 minutes on the fret job because of it. http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=38815&hl=fret+press