i'm trying to figure what kind of distortion pedal and bass amp to get my brother for his birthday. I read through the FAQ and got the point that anything named beringer is out of the question haha. I'm a guitarist and struggle to know what a bad sounding bass amp is .

My price range for the amp is 250-400 and will be used for small/midsize venues. If not enough money ill just give him cash and let him save up for a bigger one but some choices to check out would be nice.

Some sort of good sounding distortion pedal or general effects pedal. Price range up to $100 on this.

Thanks a lot in advance for the suggestions!
DIGITECH BP50
i got it for my birthday about 2 years ago and it still works perfect, i'd say that one.
or for a bit more cash you could get the one with the pedal on the side of it, that one might(probably is) be better?
i bought a fender rumble 100. with a 15 inch speaker. has red led lights on it and stuff. got it for like 350 or 400 i think? and i got a boss overdrive bass distortaion pedal for around 95.
Quote by SureSh07
i bought a fender rumble 100. with a 15 inch speaker. has red led lights on it and stuff. got it for like 350 or 400 i think? and i got a boss overdrive bass distortaion pedal for around 95.

fender rumbles are bomb, and great for small/medium venues
maybe even a big one if it's mic'd...?
thanks guys! ill look into them, how many watts for the amp should i be looking into for small/midsized venues?
Quote by fierce1289
thanks guys! ill look into them, how many watts for the amp should i be looking into for small/midsized venues?

100w is a great size. my buddy has one and even on 5 it shakes everything and is loud and has great tone, we turned it up to 10 once just because were so bad you know? haha
and we could hear it down the street, it was epic
As a bassist, I'd want one of those pocket amp things that you can plug into the bass and use headphones with. No matter where you are (except a show), someone's gonna b*tch about you bein too loud.

It's invaluable.

EDIT-

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Rumble-Series-100210-100-Watt-2x10-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=481138

That. Headphones plus CD in jam loop and fx in/out... 100w with 2x10...

I kinda wanna buy that now.

Sure beats the hell outta playin through my old Crate Guitar amp haha.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Nov 7, 2008,
Quote by barrettonUG
DIGITECH BP50
i got it for my birthday about 2 years ago and it still works perfect, i'd say that one.
or for a bit more cash you could get the one with the pedal on the side of it, that one might(probably is) be better?

If your budget is $100 go with the DigiTech BP80
Quote by Insanitydenied
I try to be the quiet musician type, but there's too much to say.

OF THE BASS MILITIA - PM Nutter_101 to join

FUCK PARAMORE.

HOT LESBIANS

Centered, Bitch.

Yes, I'm only 14. So?
100watss is only good if you have good pa. It holds up in practise but gigs on there own arent great. Im going to say acoustic if you live in Usa and something like laney, hartke and ashdown if you can find them for cheap enough. I wouldnt get him a pedal and would concentrate on the amp. You might be able to pick up a mag 300 and a 4x10 for that much.
Alos the Rumble isnt great i have it and you can do better for the price.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
get him an Acoustic B200. it would fit most styles, 200 watts, and a sexy blue outline.

then throw in any of these, excluding that Digitech: pedals of awesome
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
thanks guys, im gonna look and play with the acoustic b200 and the fender rumbles. Thanks for all the pedal suggestions too! I think im set now
Ya the acoustic will most likely pwn the rumble.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle

it is rude to state the obvious.

no rude people on my forum.

*reported*

jk
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by fatgoogle

Seems like it to me. I looked them both up and I'd go with the acoustic. Sounds more reliable.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
i'm sort of surprised that nobody has recommended a big muff pi for the distortion pedal, they sound great with basses
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by spiff389
i'm sort of surprised that nobody has recommended a big muff pi for the distortion pedal, they sound great with basses

Because the Bass Big Muff is out, and it is a fuzz, rather than a distortion.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
fair enough
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Big Muff all the way
CANNIBAL CORPSE

When the silence is gone, what have we become?
Quote by Drezzdez
Big Muff all the way

If by that you mean bass big muff, I would have some sympathy. If you like the Muff sound, it isn't a bad bass fuzz for the price. If you meant the guitar version, I hope you like having your low end castrated by the pedal.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by the humanity
get him an Acoustic B200. it would fit most styles, 200 watts, and a sexy blue outline.

then throw in any of these, excluding that Digitech: pedals of awesome

Out of all those pedals, the El Grande Bass Fuzz is the best.
As an owner of one, I'd like to throw this into the pedal pot. It just barely escaped the $50-$100 list...heh. It does overdrive, distortion, and clean boost, and does them very well. I mean it's no $200 uber pedal, but for what you pay it's awesome. Definitely better than Boss and Digi's offerings.

edit: I might add that it can be a bit harsh with high output basses...usually it's fine though.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Nov 9, 2008,