Page 1 of 3
for metal and good cleans, money isnt a problem, i play stuff like testament and megadeth. im lookin for a half stack for gigging, needs to have clarity at high levels
i was thinking trilogy from hughes and kettner i was thinking diezel but ive heard so amny negative things about how they're built and they sound to sterile but any other opinions would be great,
Line6?

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Framus Dragon/Cobra's are great, An ENGL Powerball or Special Edition would be a good be also, maybe a Bogner Uberschall as well.

Any of those.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Quote by bite_the_bullet
Framus Dragon/Cobra's are great, An ENGL Powerball or Special Edition would be a good be also, maybe a Bogner Uberschall as well.

Any of those.

yeah ive played the special edition it kicks ass, way better than the powerball.
never heard of framus though im gonna check them out thanks
Quote by thrashmetal888
ive played it i feel its over priced

WOW. I paid $1499 new on ebay for mine, & I thought I stole it. My other amps cost twice as much, & the 5150 III sounds almost as good. But I really like the voicing of the 5150 III.
Have you ever tried a Soldano? I think the Diezel would be worth trying if you're going to spend at that level (I played 2 different ones, & they're pretty tight, but yes, IMO also they're a bit sterile. Huge sound, though).
Also, a Bogner Uberschall may be right down your alley (I played one side by side w/ a 5150 III, & bought the EVH though ).
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog
WOW. I paid $1499 new on ebay for mine, & I thought I stole it. My other amps cost twice as much, & the 5150 III sounds almost as good. But I really like the voicing of the 5150 III.
Have you ever tried a Soldano? I think the Diezel would be worth trying if you're going to spend at that level (I played 2 different ones, & they're pretty tight, but yes, IMO also they're a bit sterile. Huge sound, though).
Also, a Bogner Uberschall may be right down your alley (I played one side by side w/ a 5150 III, & bought the EVH though ).

o shit i thought they were around 3 grand my bad haha might get that
might look into that
what diezels did you play herbert and vh4?
anim gonna look at the uberschall
Quote by PixieDust13
Marshall JCM800?

maybe the kerry king one or just a modded one, not a big fan of marshalls though
Quote by thrashmetal888
ive played it i feel its over priced

Thought you said price as not an issue and I just got a 5150 halfstack put my tube screamer infront of it and man it really is amazing. put a compression petal and a reverb petal on there and you got a good clean too.
Quote by PixieDust13
yeah im not really either but i always here there good for thrash, had to throw it in there

yeah it is the original thrash amp but cant get the heavier stuff with out a pedal of some sort or of course hot rodded, im lookin for something you plug in and the distortion is never ending, but anyways haha, thanks man!
Quote by Darkice
Thought you said price as not an issue and I just got a 5150 halfstack put my tube screamer infront of it and man it really is amazing. put a compression petal and a reverb petal on there and you got a good clean too.

haha it isnt im just trying to find the best bang for my buck if you get me haha

i think ive narrowed it to engl special edition, evh iii, or the h&k trilogy
Quote by riffhog

I'd +1 those brands (i haven't tried those specific models, but have tried other models by them)...

what country are you in? that'll affect prices and value a lot.

also, megadeth is pretty marshally... testament is kind of a mixture of marshall and mesa, i think. do you know which type of tone you lean more towards? something like a splawn quickrod/nitro might be worth a try too, but i'd like to emphasise that i haven't tried them, and that i'm only suggesting that you try them first to see if you like them, it's not a recommendation to buy at all.

that peters chimera seems to get a good reputation too, but again i haven't tried it.

that's interesting that you prefer the engl SE to the powerball (i would too)- is that because you think the powerball is aimed too much at modern metal while the SE is a lot more versatile, or do you just prefer the tone of the SE (or both)?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I'd +1 those brands (i haven't tried those specific models, but have tried other models by them)...

what country are you in? that'll affect prices and value a lot.

also, megadeth is pretty marshally... testament is kind of a mixture of marshall and mesa, i think. do you know which type of tone you lean more towards? something like a splawn quickrod/nitro might be worth a try too, but i'd like to emphasise that i haven't tried them, and that i'm only suggesting that you try them first to see if you like them, it's not a recommendation to buy at all.

that peters chimera seems to get a good reputation too, but again i haven't tried it.

that's interesting that you prefer the engl SE to the powerball (i would too)- is that because you think the powerball is aimed too much at modern metal while the SE is a lot more versatile, or do you just prefer the tone of the SE (or both)?

i live in the US, too bad all the good amps are made else where haha
yeah megadeth is marshally but as i said, not a marshall man lol, yeah i'd say im more of an alex skolnick than dave mustaine. ive seen splawns ill check em out theyve always come off as pretty cheesy to me though haha.
never heard of the peters chimera ill have to check that too
yeah the SE more 80s than powerball(gotta love the 80s!) not a big fan of nu metal thats probably a part of it id say its a combination of both versitility and tone

also, whats your two cents on the trilogy from hughes and kettner, ive played it shortly but it sounded great not to mention how kick ass it looks lol
haha, there are plenty of great amps made in the USA... if you preferred the SE because it's more 80s than the powerball, the blackmore and savage would probably be worth a try too, would be a bit cheaper than the SE (though you may still prefer the SE).

if you like the 80s, i'd look at a lot of those ones which riffhog mentioned too... i know i like the 80s (and i think he does too), and those'd be a lot of the amps which i'd be looking at...

i haven't tried the trilogy, unfortunately, i can't help there...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by thrashmetal888
o shit i thought they were around 3 grand my bad haha might get that
might look into that
what diezels did you play herbert and vh4?
anim gonna look at the uberschall

Yeah, the Herbert & VH4. I liked the Herbert better. A bit more lively sounding. The Diezels can really roar, but they both seemed to be missing something IMO. I like a real "live" sound with lots of space in it (hard to really describe), kind of like uncompressed? Tone can still be tight & not compressed sounding. Def ck out the Uber. I was totally sold on the Uber, & was ready to buy it until I tried the 5150 III right after. I fell in love w/ the voicing of the EVH in like 30 seconds, & knew the Uber would have to wait, but I've been a VH fanboy for years, so I'm somewhat biased. For what you want, the Uberschall will grab you for sure, but if you need any versatility for gigs, the EVH would be much better. You can get cleaner tones from the Uber, but you must adjust a lot of knobs.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Quote by Dave_Mc
haha, there are plenty of great amps made in the USA... if you preferred the SE because it's more 80s than the powerball, the blackmore and savage would probably be worth a try too, would be a bit cheaper than the SE (though you may still prefer the SE).

if you like the 80s, i'd look at a lot of those ones which riffhog mentioned too... i know i like the 80s (and i think he does too), and those'd be a lot of the amps which i'd be looking at...

i haven't tried the trilogy, unfortunately, i can't help there...

yeah, i think i might go with the evh iii or one of those engls im gonna have check out the ones you suggested though, which diezel would you say would cover the kinda stuff i wanna do vh4 or herbert
Quote by riffhog
Yeah, the Herbert & VH4. I liked the Herbert better. A bit more lively sounding. The Diezels can really roar, but they both seemed to be missing something IMO. I like a real "live" sound with lots of space in it (hard to really describe), kind of like uncompressed? Tone can still be tight & not compressed sounding. Def ck out the Uber. I was totally sold on the Uber, & was ready to buy it until I tried the 5150 III right after. I fell in love w/ the voicing of the EVH in like 30 seconds, & knew the Uber would have to wait, but I've been a VH fanboy for years, so I'm somewhat biased. For what you want, the Uberschall will grab you for sure, but if you need any versatility for gigs, the EVH would be much better. You can get cleaner tones from the Uber, but you must adjust a lot of knobs.

yeah thanks man, im definitely leaning towards the evh iii since ive found a few on ebay for around 1 grand haha...gotta love vh though, i never really kranked one though does it stay clear at high volumes?
Last edited by thrashmetal888 at Nov 7, 2008,
i've only tried the vh4, so i wouldn't really like to say in case one of the other diezels might do it better...

also, i haven't tried the uberschall, but the shiva is quite nice for the hot-rod marshall thing, and also the ecstacy is badass in a similar way to the engl SE, it's extremely versatile, and there are a couple of different versions of it too...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i've only tried the vh4, so i wouldn't really like to say in case one of the other diezels might do it better...

also, i haven't tried the uberschall, but the shiva is quite nice for the hot-rod marshall thing, and also the ecstacy is badass in a similar way to the engl SE, it's extremely versatile, and there are a couple of different versions of it too...

alright im gonna check out the ecstacy, but thanks alot for all the help, you know your stuff! haha
plenty of dudes around here (and on other forums) know their stuff... a lot know a lot more than me too!

Thanks though, i appreciate that.

EDIT: a brunetti xlr-evo might be worth a try too, they might be hard to find where you are, though. they're pretty versatile, nice amps. may be a little too modern-sounding, but they may not.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
fortunately for you i have tried the trilogy and we have a diezel herbert in the band studio. yes the trilogy is a fine choice, but if you got the budget get a triamp. they are alot cheaper used(1.5grand). the diezel herbert is AMAZING. i upgraded from a mesa dual rectifier and the difference is definitely there. one thing i notice about the triamp and the trilogy is you can get the tube saturation going on very low volume. i haven't try that with the herbert yet but it would probably be fine.
I'd buy a ENGL Screamer 50 and a ENGL powerball with a Diezel cab 4x12

You'll have an amazing combo amp and an amazing head and cab

Combo- £900
Head- £1300
Cab-£1000

£3200 and you'll never need an upgrade honest!
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by Dave_Mc
plenty of dudes around here (and on other forums) know their stuff... a lot know a lot more than me too!

Thanks though, i appreciate that.

EDIT: a brunetti xlr-evo might be worth a try too, they might be hard to find where you are, though. they're pretty versatile, nice amps. may be a little too modern-sounding, but they may not.

no problem man, yeah lots of amps to try out lots an lots haha
Quote by kckyle
fortunately for you i have tried the trilogy and we have a diezel herbert in the band studio. yes the trilogy is a fine choice, but if you got the budget get a triamp. they are alot cheaper used(1.5grand). the diezel herbert is AMAZING. i upgraded from a mesa dual rectifier and the difference is definitely there. one thing i notice about the triamp and the trilogy is you can get the tube saturation going on very low volume. i haven't try that with the herbert yet but it would probably be fine.

a fellow long islander as well! haha

triamp sounds good its amazing how cheap they get once they are used haha, and i dunno about the herbert ive played it at a friend of mines house, too modern-ish sounding for me sadly

thanks!
Quote by thrashmetal888
yeah thanks man, im definitely leaning towards the evh iii since ive found a few on ebay for around 1 grand haha...gotta love vh though, i never really kranked one though does it stay clear at high volumes?

For a grand, you'd be nuts NOT to buy a 5150 III!!
Yeah, it's pretty clear, but my other amp is an SLO 100, so I'm used to EXTREME clarity a high volume. It's not a fair comparison, because my interpretation of "clear" will be more skewed than many other people. I will say the EVH just gets better & better as you go up in volume IMO. All of the amps mentioned are very articulate at high volume. That's what makes them great. One more thing-like kckyle said, if you look at H&Ks, check out the Triamp Mk 2. Very similar to the 5150 III as far as tone/features, but built w/ H&K's reputation for high quality (& is arguably the coolest looking amp ever when it's on !). The voicing on the 5150 III is a bit more to my liking, though, & it does seem a bit tighter than the H&K at gig volume, but they really are very similar IMO.
Also, if you get a chance to check out Diezels, play both models. They are different, & of the people I know who've played them, it's about a 50/50 preference split.
Seriously check out an Uberschall too if you can. It is one of the most amazing amps available, & nothing else sounds quite like it (which is a serious plus). Like I said, the only reason I didn't get one is because I'm such a VH fanboy. The Uber screams.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Quote by riffhog
For a grand, you'd be nuts NOT to buy a 5150 III!!
Yeah, it's pretty clear, but my other amp is an SLO 100, so I'm used to EXTREME clarity a high volume. It's not a fair comparison, because my interpretation of "clear" will be more skewed than many other people. I will say the EVH just gets better & better as you go up in volume IMO. All of the amps mentioned are very articulate at high volume. That's what makes them great. One more thing-like kckyle said, if you look at H&Ks, check out the Triamp Mk 2. Very similar to the 5150 III as far as tone/features, but built w/ H&K's reputation for high quality (& is arguably the coolest looking amp ever when it's on !). The voicing on the 5150 III is a bit more to my liking, though, & it does seem a bit tighter than the H&K at gig volume, but they really are very similar IMO.
Also, if you get a chance to check out Diezels, play both models. They are different, & of the people I know who've played them, it's about a 50/50 preference split.
Seriously check out an Uberschall too if you can. It is one of the most amazing amps available, & nothing else sounds quite like it (which is a serious plus). Like I said, the only reason I didn't get one is because I'm such a VH fanboy. The Uber screams.

yeah ive heard great things about the SLO 100, i think im gonna get the evh being a vh fanboy aswell hahaha, one of my greatest influences. is the switchblade by hughes and kettner any good?
Quote by thrashmetal888
no problem man, yeah lots of amps to try out lots an lots haha

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Don't approve of my ENGL suggestions then :P ?
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
just not certain what the point is in getting two, unless it's for when you can't transport the big halfstack...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hehe I'd always like to have a combo lying around, hence why my next thing to buy after a strat in sienna sunburst+maple fretboard is an ENGL screamer
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
haha ive got a combo already, an orange rocker 30
just doesnt get the job done though i need to have it on the dirty channel full gain with a distortion pedal in front of that, the noise emitted is terrible. cant complain though it was a gift
Hughes and Kettner Triamp MKII

Do it.

Quote by thrashmetal888
haha ive got a combo already, an orange rocker 30
just doesnt get the job done though i need to have it on the dirty channel full gain with a distortion pedal in front of that, the noise emitted is terrible. cant complain though it was a gift

lol, who gave you it?
Last edited by injected at Nov 7, 2008,
I really like sound of the Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk. II. Sounds great at lower volumes even without an attenuator. Clean is awesome, and the high gain channels will produce more gain than you need. 6 distinct sounding channels. Can go Marshall, Orange, Mesa, and Rivera high gain based on what I played before and do each better. My JCM 800 now sounds like total shit when I use it after using the H&K and I thought I formerly liked the JCM 800.
2008 Gibson LP
1968 Gibson LP
2005 Am Strat Del

88 Marsh JCM 800 1/2 stack
05 Marsh AVT50
08 H & K Triamp Mk. II
07 Orange PPC 212
08 Dr. Z 212
Quote by thrashmetal888
yeah ive heard great things about the SLO 100, i think im gonna get the evh being a vh fanboy aswell hahaha, one of my greatest influences. is the switchblade by hughes and kettner any good?

Sorry. I've never played a Switchblade.
Good luck on the amp hunt!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Quote by injected
Hughes and Kettner Triamp MKII

Do it.

lol, who gave you it?

haha parents for christmas 2 years ago, im only 15 lol but ive saved up lots of money for a new amp, now im ready to blow it haha

not to dis the orange its good at what its meant to do(rock/blues) and my absurd way of making it heavy it sounds alright for now
Page 1 of 3