Just a shot in the dark, but maybe it means the note is an octave higher than written (I think that it's supposed to be 8va though).
Generally that would be over a bar of rest. It could be a whole note rest, with a 4 over the bar, meaning 4 bars of rest.
Quote by Confusius
Generally that would be over a bar of rest. It could be a whole note rest, with a 4 over the bar, meaning 4 bars of rest.

he speaks the truth. though i can't see a meaning to what you've got there in that image. but it's probably a rest, for eight bars.
Whatever it is, it is at least a little ambiguous.

My guess is that you have eight bars of rests before the guitar comes in on the A/E notes. While those eight bars of rests for the guitar are running, some other instrument is playing some figure based on C major.

... just a guess....

Kinda like this...

Even though it is a horn part, they sketch in the three eighth notes on the bassoon part so as to help you come in at the right time - like in case you get lost counting bars.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Yeah, its hard to tell, and I would think they would make it a little more obvious, but I believe its 8 measures of rest.
The name's Austin
Quote by Leo Tolstoy
Music is the shorthand of emotion.
Quote by Friedrich Nietzsche
Without music life would be a mistake.