Page 1 of 3
So I just heard about artists like Masonna and I do not get it at all. Fans say it is the most extreme form of music. I do not see how it is music. Maybe because I am a musician and see the need for an instrument?

Can someone try to explain?
Only the blue sky and the green grass
Go on forever in this world
Where seconds feel like eternity
And years pass in blink of an eye
Technically anything ear-related is music.

Edit: by ear I mean heaing
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
Last edited by Monolith295 at Nov 7, 2008,
Masonna?
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
The genre of 'noise' is ace. I can't quite explain why but it really is.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by ctb
Hymn/Gospel/A Cappella is music and has no instruments.

haha true...

but this is just so strange to me!
Quote by IRONxPANTERA
So I just heard about artists like Masonna and I do not get it at all. Fans say it is the most extreme form of music. I do not see how it is music. Maybe because I am a musician and see the need for an instrument?

Can someone try to explain?

Most extreme form of music? who told you that?
Quote by IRONxPANTERA
Fans say it is the most extreme form of music.

Are you saying that at some point in life you have taken a Madonna fans opinion into consideration?

Nevermind then.
Last edited by aaciseric at Nov 7, 2008,
Quote by ctb

Voice = instrument. Noise isn't music.
Quote by denizenz
Ever listen to 20th century classical? It's all atonal and polyrhythmic. I can't stand it actually.

I was thinking about hitting random keys on a keyboard and submitting it as my GCSE piece and calling it atonal, but then I realised that's retarded.

Still got a B though.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by Monolith295
Technically anything ear-related is music.

Edit: by ear I mean heaing

Flaw. I can hear the wind. That is not music - it's the wind. Hearing with your ears is just that - hearing with one of the five senses. You can get into the gray area and argue the semantics of the word; say that "anything can be music to anyone's ear." if you want, but music is not just sound. It requires notes and timing.

Quote by ctb

Flaw. Singing is music, as your vocal chords, when used to produce tones and notes, is an instrument.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
music without talent sucks. so, with that said, anything without bass, guitar, drums, singer and keyboard [possibly] all together sucks asshole
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
Quote by CTFOD
I was thinking about hitting random keys on a keyboard and submitting it as my GCSE piece and calling it atonal, but then I realised that's retarded.

Still got a B though.

I wish I new the "composer", but for one 20th century piece the guy wrote an entire symphony and then threw the pages into the air and picked them up as they lay and that was his finished work...your random key smashing probably wouldn't have been too far off from a 20th century masterpiece.
Quote by denizenz
Ever listen to 20th century classical? It's all atonal and polyrhythmic. I can't stand it actually.

As far as I'm aware, no. I think I'd remember something that is seemingly so vile

Quote by aaciseric
Are you saying that at some point in life you have taken a Madonna fans opinion into consideration?

*Masonna, geez.
Quote by SteveHouse
Quote by CTFOD
Masonna?

as in the milfalicious singer?
Originally Posted by Eric 666
if I had sex with my clone...I'd have a big dick in my ass.

Quote by Final !mpact
I mean 'Really Retarded' in the nicest way possible by the way.

Member 37 Of The RHCP fanclub.
Bruce Springsteen Fan?
My Myspace
Quote by aaciseric

Masonna, not madonna. Look them up on youtube.

My contribution to the argument is that is not music, because it has no sense of rhythm, melody, pitch, or anything else. Even the most far out forms of music need at least one of those qualities. People say it is music because it is treated like it is.
I Want One!!!

The Kraftwerkers: The Society for the Appreciation of Kraftwerk
Last edited by Salute to Jaco at Nov 7, 2008,
I'm a musician and I'm quite fond of noise stuff, Merzbow is one of my favorite artists.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Salute to Jaco
Masonna, not madonna. Look them up on youtube.

My contribution to the argument is that is not music, because it has no sense of rhythm, melody, pitch, or anything else. Even the most far out forms of music need at least one of those qualities. People say it is music because it is treated like it is.

that is how i feel!
Quote by Salute to Jaco

umm all sound has pitch, and most noise music has rhythm as well, although sometimes it's extremely complicated and difficult to comprehend.

furthermore I think people who say this stuff isn't music are a hundred years in the past and elitist tools.

Last.fm
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
As far as I'm aware, no. I think I'd remember something that is seemingly so vile

Here's some 20th century classical that I was able to find quickly on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-fyWc6Mpd8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUJagb7hL0E&feature=related
Music is expression via sound
Most music is regulated by the rules we know as theory (even without consciously using theory)
Noise is sound without any regulation
So in a way noise is more musical on an expressive level than "normal" music, because it doesn't have any rules restricting it
Doesn't make it any more listenable though :p I do enjoy a bit of merzbow though.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Dean Performer DSE
Vox AD30VT
Line 6 Toneport UX1
I'm not going to rip on it if somebody somewhere likes it, that would be rude.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
I like noise.

Bad Sector and Merzbow FTW!
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
I thought Noise = Love

Richard Ashcroft's been telling porkies again hasn't he?
Quote by bendystraw
I go down on one knee and do that shit cello style

It is exactly that because you are not a musician that you see the need for instruments.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by denizenz
Any sound/timbre organized in time is considered music by definition.

+1

Any and all sound, IMO, though, is music.

I can find beauty in just about any sound.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

As for the second one.... pathetic.

I think you're missing the point.

Last.fm
heavy metal just sounds like an annoying noise. Some guy screaming-which in no way should be considered music.
QUEEN+PAUL RODGERS 3/10/06
roger waters 9/8/06
the who 9/16/06
eric clapton 10/03/06
the who 12/2/06
Mika 6/13/07
Rush 6/27/07
Roger waters 7/10/07
Elton John 3/??/08
The Who 10/24/08
Iron Maiden 04/02/09
Iron Maiden 07/12/10
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I think you're missing the point.

I think you're missing the fact that I don't care, not that I found there was any point to it.
Quote by SteveHouse
Quote by FreddieMercury
heavy metal just sounds like an annoying noise. Some guy screaming-which in no way should be considered music.

most heavy metal is actually very technical and complex, and is in no way some guy screaming.

unless you're just trying to make a point that opinions differ, in which case good job.

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
I think you're missing the fact that I don't care, not that I found there was any point to it.

If you know who John Cage is and a bit about his ideas then the point id pretty obvious, even if you don't care, saying that it's pathetic just shows that it tottally went over your head.

Last.fm
Quote by FreddieMercury

Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
If you know who John Cage is and a bit about his ideas then the point id pretty obvious, even if you don't care, saying that it's pathetic just shows that it tottally went over your head.

Oh noes, I sure wouldn't want to look like an idiot....

Yeah okay. It's silent so we can hear the sounds around us. Oh wait I can do that in the comfort of my own without paying silly money to sit in a room with a man who composed a musical score that consist of nothing.
Quote by SteveHouse
Page 1 of 3