Plug your guitar into your amp. Then mike up the amp and record. But some amps will just plug in, and others will sound bad.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by silky feather
Is there some way to "plug" my electric guitar into my computer and record what I play?

Yes. Go to Radio Shack or a similar store. You can get an adapter to plug your guitar directly into your microphone port. Then, download a free program like Audacity and you're good to go. Absolute cheapest way to do it. Costs maybe $2-3.

There's ways to get better quality and stuff, but that's the cheapest way. For better quality, check out Line6's Guitar Ports and Pods and stuff. They'll come with software, but can run easily $100+
Quote by UPandB
Yes. Go to Radio Shack or a similar store. You can get an adapter to plug your guitar directly into your microphone port. Then, download a free program like Audacity and you're good to go. Absolute cheapest way to do it. Costs maybe $2-3.

There's ways to get better quality and stuff, but that's the cheapest way. For better quality, check out Line6's Guitar Ports and Pods and stuff. They'll come with software, but can run easily $100+

Awesome! Thanks a lot
Wow. If you take these peoples advice, you'll have a crazy muddled sound thats garbage. You need an audio processor like the line 6 toneport, or else you will be relying on your computer's soundcard to process your guitar.

Also, unless you plan on micing/line-outing your amp, running into audacity will just be the sound of your guitar, with no amplification.
read the stickies in the riffs and recordings forum to get started. when you can narrow your question down in terms of budget and what type of things youve been looking at then make a thread there.