i have a mac and recorded something for school, i plug my camera into my mac and it doesnt come up on imovie 08, i tried everything and nothing will come up, please tell me what to do
up for adoption

How am I in bed you ask?

Quote by metaldud536
Shallow and pedantic

tried that, it happens everytime with imovie 08
up for adoption

How am I in bed you ask?

Quote by metaldud536
Shallow and pedantic

Camera or camcorder?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
maybe your camera isnt compatible with Mac?

(just a guess i have no idea sorry)
Quote by bearded_monkey
Oh man thats amazing, you win midi pure. I don't care whether it's a competition or not

Quote by halvies

could have been 3 's but there wasn't nearly enough exclamation marks to emphasize the anger/disbelief

oh yeah
Quote by Chrisiphone
Camera or camcorder?

its this expensive camera, uhhh canon xh a1 and i also tried using this thing that only reads the dv tape, and they both dont show up
up for adoption

How am I in bed you ask?

Quote by metaldud536
Shallow and pedantic

well i cant access my mp3 on a mac.
you might have the same problem.
Quote by maiden03
Ahhh damn you vinc3nt!

Downpressor man

Where you gonna run to

All along that day

੧_\\\
Quote by chrispfried
i have a mac and recorded something for school, i plug my camera into my mac and it doesnt come up on imovie 08, i tried everything and nothing will come up, please tell me what to do

Here lies your problem my friend.
Quote by bendystraw
I go down on one knee and do that shit cello style

Quote by Tomosaurus
Here lies your problem my friend.

yeah **** you
up for adoption

How am I in bed you ask?

Quote by metaldud536
Shallow and pedantic

Did the camera come with it's own software?

And while you're being a dick to people, it's entirely possible that the camera is not Mac compatible.
Quote by chrispfried
its this expensive camera, uhhh canon xh a1 and i also tried using this thing that only reads the dv tape, and they both dont show up

Ah the A1 is a great cam, we use them in our classes as well. You need to use firewire cable to the laptop and then power up the cam. After that you can load the movie editing software. Run the cam in VCR mode but dont use the buttons on it, the software controls the cam.

Go into the capture mode of the software and start plugging in the time codes to capture what you need.
Quote by chrispfried
yeah **** you

Im a mac user too and I know Tomosaurus....

Ill sort him out

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by moody07747
Ah the A1 is a great cam, we use them in our classes as well. You need to use firewire cable to the laptop and then power up the cam. After that you can load the movie editing software. Run the cam in VCR mode but dont use the buttons on it, the software controls the cam.

Go into the capture mode of the software and start plugging in the time codes to capture what you need.

where do i get the software, i just took it from class and i dont think my teacher has it
up for adoption

How am I in bed you ask?

Quote by metaldud536
Shallow and pedantic

Quote by freedoms_stain
Did the camera come with it's own software?

And while you're being a dick to people, it's entirely possible that the camera is not Mac compatible.

no u see here dipshit, we use the camera at school on macs, so i think its mac compatible
up for adoption

How am I in bed you ask?

Quote by metaldud536
Shallow and pedantic

Quote by chrispfried
where do i get the software, i just took it from class and i dont think my teacher has it

The software is the iMovie or whatever editing software you have on the laptop from the school.

If this is your laptop and you dont have an editing software installed you can use any editing software you have on the laptop. I dont deal with macs so I dont know what come standard on them. For PCs, you get Windows Movie Maker...which works on these cams as well.

The A1s and most cams work both on PCs and Macs.
Do the macs at your school have iMovie for use or do they have Final Cut Pro on them?

E-Married to Funny_Page
Final Cut is great software but high in price and I'm sure the TS doesn't have time to buy it or the money. Becides, there are many free editing programs that would work in place just to capture the tape.

Chances are you will need to capture the video at the school as they should have FCP or some editing software installed already. I can't see that not being the case if they have these video cameras. If you want to capture to YOUR mac then you will need to buy some editing software to use.
Last edited by moody07747 at Nov 7, 2008,
my school has imovie 06 on them, which is what we use, and then it goes to another mac, wich has final cut express, then it goes out to tv. i am using my own iMac, its not a laptop, and when i plug in my camera to the mac, nothing appears, not even on the desktop, and yeah i have imovie so it just wont come up and this sucks
up for adoption

How am I in bed you ask?

Quote by metaldud536
Shallow and pedantic

Quote by chrispfried
yeah **** you

Quote by chrispfried
no u see here dipshit, we use the camera at school on macs, so i think its mac compatible

Stop flaming. Warning for you.
Normally you should be able to plug both ends of a firewire cable into your iMac and the camcorder, then turn the camera on and turn to the play/edit option, it should come up, presuming iMovie is open, then capture the footage.

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by chrispfried
my school has imovie 06 on them, which is what we use, and then it goes to another mac, wich has final cut express, then it goes out to tv. i am using my own iMac, its not a laptop, and when i plug in my camera to the mac, nothing appears, not even on the desktop, and yeah i have imovie so it just wont come up and this sucks

That is strange.

Although if you are not running any software for video editing on your Mac then of coarse you wont get anything when you plug in and turn on the camera. These cams need some type of program (be it FCP or another program for Macs) to communicate with which will allow you to capture the video to the computer.

They jump between two Macs?....very weird setup. At my campus they simply network the storage drives so we can log on and work on the editing stations or the audio stations or even burn a DVD at the DVD station...

I am running out of ideas...
I still think the best way to go about working on your video is to simply use the schools station and edit it there after class or something...
I'm not sure why your computer wont see the camera but it should. It could be a bad cable or firewire port but without being there in person I cant check those...
Last edited by moody07747 at Nov 7, 2008,
Quote by jimtaka
Stop flaming. Warning for you.

oo look at u go
up for adoption

How am I in bed you ask?

Quote by metaldud536
Shallow and pedantic

Quote by Chrisiphone
Normally you should be able to plug both ends of a firewire cable into your iMac and the camcorder, then turn the camera on and turn to the play/edit option, it should come up, presuming iMovie is open, then capture the footage.

yeah thats what should happen, but its not
up for adoption

How am I in bed you ask?

Quote by metaldud536
Shallow and pedantic

Seriously TS you should stop with the comments/sarcasm, people are helping you!
Just The Pit don't favour on answering sensibly.

E-Married to Funny_Page
chrispfried, I would quit while you're still losing.

You have work to do which you can't, and you're backchatting a mod.
Believe me it's not a good choice!
Quote by bendystraw
I go down on one knee and do that shit cello style

ok i is sorry
up for adoption

How am I in bed you ask?

Quote by metaldud536
Shallow and pedantic

Quote by jimtaka
retard.

Smooth