hey guys at my local guitar center the salesman recommended me a fender hot rod deville. when i tried it out i didnt like the distortion channel and instead found a used marshall avt 150 head and a cab. i tried it out and it sounded pretty good, better than the fender. the salesman told me the fender would sound better than the marshall if i used a distortion pedal so i told him id come back during the weekend and bring my distortion pedal which i will be doing tomorrow or sunday. which amp do u guys think i should get
The Hot Rod has a bad gain channel, for anything other than a very light crunch it simply can't handle it, even with an OD on the gain. If you get a distortion pedal you could plug into that into the effects in, but you're bypassing the EQ section then, and the master volume.
Quote by ze monsta
The Fender. Those Marshalls are notoriously bad value for money. The Fender's sound pretty good with a tube screamer up front.

Very true i played through the Hot rod is it sounds great

Quote by mattman93
This, atheists talk about religion more then religious people.

Youtube
there arent any other options at my guitar center except that line 6 all tube amp
AVT's are overpriced/oversized practice amps.
I know I have one but shhh!
£99 is a bargain.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
they have the avt head and cabinet for less than the fender though.. will i be able to get a good distortion sound out of a fender deville using a boss mega distortion pedal?
Quote by lpsunburst
there arent any other options at my guitar center except that line 6 all tube amp

Yeah... Guitar Center is a pretty bad place to buy amps unless you like horribly valued Marshalls and Line 6 amps (I take that back. They do have the Egnater Tourmaster). If you want advice, you'll have to give us a bit more information. What is your price range? What styles do you play? Are you going to play gigs?
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by ze monsta
Then don't ****ing buy from Guitar Centre. What kinda fool are you!?? You are infuriating. I'm leaving.

RAAAAGH SOME RANDOM PERSON ON THE INTERNET DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO ME I MUST TYPE IN ANGER AND THREATEN TO LEAVE D'X
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by lpsunburst
okay so whats a tube screamer? a distortion pedal wont sound good?

A Tube Screamer is a boost pedal essentially. We'll come to that in a minute though.

The Fend Hot Rod is a valve (or tube amp). This means that it works by a much older technology than SS (or Solid State amps. An example of this would be your basic practice amp).
Valve amps are more expensive for a reason, this being that they sound better, have better sound quality, are an absolute bomb louder and generally considered to be better pieces of kit. Most of your most famous guitar sounds are probably from a valve amp.
The downside of a valve amp being at bedroom practice levels you don't get the sound quality, the natural overdrive (overdrive on valve amps comes from the volume. The louder you are the more overdrive you'll have, as a general rule, not always true though). Also valves break, they get hot, and may break in transport.

The Marshall AVT (if I remember correctly) is a supposed "hybrid" amp. This is mostly a marketing ploy by Marshall to try and make a mixture of SS and valve. This idea is that you can play at bedroom levels with the quality of valves, and still have the masses of volume and sound quality when you need it.
I personally don't like this "hybrid", and neither do alot of other guitarists. Although there are people who love them, it's personal sound choice. I don't know much about the sounds you can get out of the AVT's as I only played one briefly.

But if you like classic rock, blues, and hard rock, the Fender is the way to go. It will be all round better, and if you don't like the overdrive, you could get a boost pedal (like the Tube Screamer). This basically boosts the signal (electronic signal picked up from the pick ups etc) of your guitar (correct me if I'm wrong), and will give you more overdrive without affecting the volume too much.

I will vouch for the valve amp, as I have one and it's fantastic. I do have an SS amp for bedroom practice aswell though.

If I've made any mistakes someone correct me, without sarcasm would be preferable.
Quote by clapton-floyd
A Tube Screamer is a boost pedal essentially. We'll come to that in a minute though.

The Fend Hot Rod is a valve (or tube amp). This means that it works by a much older technology than SS (or Solid State amps. An example of this would be your basic practice amp).
Valve amps are more expensive for a reason, this being that they sound better, have better sound quality, are an absolute bomb louder and generally considered to be better pieces of kit. Most of your most famous guitar sounds are probably from a valve amp.
The downside of a valve amp being at bedroom practice levels you don't get the sound quality, the natural overdrive (overdrive on valve amps comes from the volume. The louder you are the more overdrive you'll have, as a general rule, not always true though). Also valves break, they get hot, and may break in transport.

The Marshall AVT (if I remember correctly) is a supposed "hybrid" amp. This is mostly a marketing ploy by Marshall to try and make a mixture of SS and valve. This idea is that you can play at bedroom levels with the quality of valves, and still have the masses of volume and sound quality when you need it.
I personally don't like this "hybrid", and neither do alot of other guitarists. Although there are people who love them, it's personal sound choice. I don't know much about the sounds you can get out of the AVT's as I only played one briefly.

But if you like classic rock, blues, and hard rock, the Fender is the way to go. It will be all round better, and if you don't like the overdrive, you could get a boost pedal (like the Tube Screamer). This basically boosts the signal (electronic signal picked up from the pick ups etc) of your guitar (correct me if I'm wrong), and will give you more overdrive without affecting the volume too much.

I will vouch for the valve amp, as I have one and it's fantastic. I do have an SS amp for bedroom practice aswell though.

If I've made any mistakes someone correct me, without sarcasm would be preferable.

The Tube Screamer is an overdrive pedal designed to emulate poweramp clipping from valve amps. It can be used as a boost, but its an OD.
Quote by minibrowny
The Tube Screamer is an overdrive pedal designed to emulate poweramp clipping from valve amps. It can be used as a boost, but its an OD.

So it's kinda like the Marshall Bluesbreaker? I live in a very small town, I haven't come across one that I could play about with.