Well, UG, I have a dilemma.

For Christmas this year, I'm getting myself a new guitar, a Les Paul style guitar, specifically. I have about $850 to spend. This will be my blues/classic rock/hard rock guitar. I'm playing through a Traynor YCS-50. I don't play any really heavy metal or anything. The heaviest I would get with this guitar is Tool-like gain levels. More alternative and hard rock/grunge then metal. I just want that thick, warm and full sustaining LP tone. Since nice Gibbys are way out of my price range, I've been considering going with an MIJ copy.

I could get a lefty Edwards LP for $825 shipped plus customs duties from Katana Guitars that has SD JB and '59 pups. Link to Katana

I also could go cheaper and get a nice Agile (like an AL-3100) from Rondo and give it new pups and caps for probably $700-750 max.

ESP's like the EC series look decent too, but EMG's turn me off.

In short, I have no idea which guitar to choose or even if I'm looking at all my options. Right now, it just has to be a quality left-handed LP style guitar with good tonewoods and under $850. Can anyone help me out?
Please, call me Chase.

Quote by GeneralGrim
You live up to your name, sir. Well done.

Gear

Lefty MIM Strat
Traynor YCS50 :
Larrivee D-03R
Dunlop 95Q Wah
BYOC Fuzz
Fulltone OCD
Vintage Volume Pedal

I witnessed Night of the Pear 2
Last edited by floydian07 at Nov 7, 2008,
Since Gibson's are out of my price range too, I tend to lean towards high-end Epiphones. A friend of mine who's in the process of getting his band signed told me that he'd much rather own a high-end Epiphone than a lower quality Gibson for the same price. I have an Epiphone Les Paul, I'm lefty too, and let me tell ya it's a real nice guitar. Epi does quality finishes even on their cheaper guitars. For your price range you'll be able to find a nice axe. I've found a few you might be interested in depending on your color preference. The first one has Alnico Classic Humbuckers, which will give you nice warm tones and the crunch and gain you'd want for hard rock, grunge, etc. Check em out man, hope you can find one here you like.
http://www.music123.com/Epiphone-Left-Handed-Les-Paul-Custom-Electric-Guitar-518559-i1150076.Music123

http://www.music123.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Left-Handed-Electric-Guitar-518343-i1149997.Music123

http://www.music123.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Left-Handed-Electric-Guitar-518490-i1150052.Music123
Thanks for the reply. I've looked into Epi and their stuff is definitely nice. It just seems like that for the price the quality of pickups (generic) and body woods (alder and mahogany instead of maple and mahogany) just isn't the same as the MIJ's that I've seen. I'll keep them in mind.

Also I've found this Prestige LP-style guitar on Ebay just now. It looks gorgeous! Check it out! Quilted maple top too! *Drools* Link
Please, call me Chase.

Quote by GeneralGrim
You live up to your name, sir. Well done.

Gear

Lefty MIM Strat
Traynor YCS50 :
Larrivee D-03R
Dunlop 95Q Wah
BYOC Fuzz
Fulltone OCD
Vintage Volume Pedal

I witnessed Night of the Pear 2