ok so im going to be swirling my jackson stealth pretty soon but im in the test phases making sure i can do a good swirl before i do the body. my problem is this:

im using oil paints as im told should work and the girl at the paint store said it would be fine. only thing is the paint comes out rather thick (like cake icing i would say) and doesnt spread across the top of the water. im trying to see if there is something i need to add to my paint to thin it out. i have been told paint thinner (terpentine) should do it but i was wondering if adding some sort of vegetable oil might help my cause? if anyone knows how to achieve this please let me know!
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
Ae you using borax in the water?

White spirit thins paint.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
yes i am using plenty of borax... and what is this spirit stuff you speak of?
Linseed oil will thin oils as well as turpentine. Art stores should have a few other alternatives also.
Nerve threads decoding the stream of the reality-inverting revolution
The patterned untruth of non-dream:
The closed-eye
visual delusion.
Last edited by genocidedelight at Nov 7, 2008,
ok so you're suggesting i use like white whine to mix with my paint? i might have some of that lying around somewhere
when i was planning on doing a swirl, i used model car paints. they come in tiny little bottles, almost any color, any finish (do not gloss). they're pretty cheap too.
Вяєҭҭ
ZeGuitarist's sister is hawt.
?)
Quote by Pageles
white spirit = white booze

Failure....

Use turpentine, linseed oil, any mineral spirit. It will thin the paint allowing for good application during swirling.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
ok nice. i will probably just end up using paint thinner but since i dont have any around the house at the moment im wondering if there is anything else that might work? i have been thinking about using vegetable oil or something lol. but would it dry i wonder...
Quote by jordanzio
ok nice. i will probably just end up using paint thinner but since i dont have any around the house at the moment im wondering if there is anything else that might work? i have been thinking about using vegetable oil or something lol. but would it dry i wonder...

I doubt that would work. Seriously doubt it would work.
yeah i tried it... doesnt work. does testors paint actually work? please someone who has actually done this! i would consider trying testors paints but i was told to use oil paint and im pretty sure testors is not. but oil paint takes forever to dry and testors doesnt so if i could use those id be ahead of the game.
Quote by jordanzio
yeah i tried it... doesnt work. does testors paint actually work? please someone who has actually done this! i would consider trying testors paints but i was told to use oil paint and im pretty sure testors is not. but oil paint takes forever to dry and testors doesnt so if i could use those id be ahead of the game.

you mean those small bottles of enamel paint i use on my plastic airplane models?

^ humbrol model paints are actually very good for swirl painting...

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
absent mind could you recommend me a good brand of humbrol paints that i could use? something popular would be nice so i can buy it easily. i think id rather try that than oil paints as im guessing the drying period would be way quicker
humbrol is the brand?

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
oh ok cool. i don't know much about paint as is obvious so i wasn't sure. what type of paint is humbrol then? is it an oil or its it one of those polyurethane based paints? ive heard both work well and oil paints take forever to dry so im probably considering the humbrol paint. i would just like to know a bit more about it. and have you ever tried this yourself?
yes testors is the brand! it works perfectly, just a little expensive for how much you get.
Вяєҭҭ
ZeGuitarist's sister is hawt.
?)
what kind of testors specifically? enamel?
Quote by jordanzio
oh ok cool. i don't know much about paint as is obvious so i wasn't sure. what type of paint is humbrol then? is it an oil or its it one of those polyurethane based paints? ive heard both work well and oil paints take forever to dry so im probably considering the humbrol paint. i would just like to know a bit more about it. and have you ever tried this yourself?

I have no idea how humbrol enamels are made or w.e but I have used them and they work

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Yeah black and white humbrol enamels is exactly what im using

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
awesome! enamels it is then