Alright I want an Overdrive pedal, and I'm wondering which is the best one for metal music. Advice is much appreciated
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
I'd say get a new amp. I see you are saving up for a VK and a Bad Monkey. That wouldn't be bad. Maybe a OCD instead of a Bad Monkey, but the rig you are saving up for would do better than boosting the Crate you currently own.
Quote by end_citizen
I'd say get a new amp. I see you are saving up for a VK and a Bad Monkey. That wouldn't be bad. Maybe a OCD instead of a Bad Monkey, but the rig you are saving up for would do better than boosting the Crate you currently own.
From what I heard, it seems that the OCD was a better stand-alone OD whereas the bad monkey was better for boosting gain and such.
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by ampoverload
zakk wylde overdrive. enough said

Well no, not enough said. When used as a stand alone it doesn't have enough gain, using it along the gain channel of his amp will be 'FIZZFIZZFIZZZ".

So no, quite simply no.
Quote by ampoverload
zakk wylde overdrive. enough said
As over-rated I think he is, I think that is a great OD for that.
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
Fulltone OCD, get a version 3 if you can. I'm a strong believer that a good amp is one that doesn't need an OD but you have a valveking so..........
Buy one :P

P.s you're awesome for 14 as well as considering how long you've been playing, keep it up.
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Last edited by sharpant at Nov 7, 2008,
BOSS Metal Core ML-2 is has to best distortion I have ever played so I would highly recommend looking at the reviews on UG or even buying it
Quote by Aaron the 4th
GAYS...we don't hate that your gay we hate that your proud of it
Quote by Nirvana6722
BOSS Metal Core ML-2 is has to best distortion I have ever played so I would highly recommend looking at the reviews on UG or even buying it

NO!
Quote by Nirvana6722

Do not take this guys advise, Boss Metal Core is an awful pedal
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by sharpant
Fulltone OCD, get a version 3 if you can. I'm a strong believer that a good amp is one that doesn't need an OD but you have a valveking so..........
Buy one :P

P.s you're awesome for 14 as well as considering how long you've been playing, keep it up.

Thanks alot man. And I have absolutely no idea why i put the bad monkey in my sig lol... but Ive played the valveking and I love it, and thats why im getting an OD for the heavier stuff that i wanna play lol
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
If you want it to boost your distortion then yeah get the Bad Monkey. It's really good at extra distortion.
Quote by minibrowny
Searching and asking in the Ultimate OD thread is also much appreciated.

lol searching and asking the Ultimate OD thread yields no results as i found with my two posts earlier this week which not only dont have any responses but there also havent been any posts after mine.

anyway, enough of my whining. is it going to be a long time before you get your VK? If not, just wait until you get that and then figure out what sorta pedals work well with it. no point in spending a decent amount of money now when you can wait and make sure you get exactly what you what.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by minibrowny
Well no, not enough said. When used as a stand alone it doesn't have enough gain, using it along the gain channel of his amp will be 'FIZZFIZZFIZZZ".

So no, quite simply no.

if you use it for boost only...........set the drive to full and back off the distortion to 0 and then just roll on a bit of distortion. you can get a very nice overdriven metal tone on a dirty amp. it's great for boosting a tube amp but not as a stand alone pedal. same with the bad monkey great for a boosting but not as a stand alone pedal. the bad monkey is a cleaner boost and i love mine. but the zw-44 add's a nice touch of filth! it's pretty much tubescreamer with less mids and more bass.
Last edited by mmjohn at Nov 8, 2008,