Ok, I have some interest in playing bass. I would be playing MAINLY RHCP, both slap and non. Other stuff I'd play would be RAtM/Audioslave, GnR/VR, random funk.

I have heard great things about a Squier Vintage Mod. 70s bass. Good choice? Is there anything withing ~$20USD or so that would be a better choice?

As far as the amp goes, I'd be strictly a BEDROOM PLAYER only, so I really don't need to pay for any extra wattage in an amp, but would really like a 3 or 4 band EQ. Would an acoustic AB20 112 be a good choice, or would it be worth it to get the AB50, 100, or 200(would I just be paying for bigger speaker and more wattage?)?

I've looked in the FAQ and am not entirely convinced on most of the amps listed, but I'd try out whatever I could regardlessly.

Thanks.
Definately a good choice on Bass, not sure about the amp as I've never used one.

Main thing is to go out to a store and try things out yourself, that way you can make a proper choice.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
^ true go try out everything
CANNIBAL CORPSE

When the silence is gone, what have we become?
In before humanity (in regards to acoustic amps)

Yeah they seem to be pretty solid choices as the Squier VM Jazz is rated very highly on these forums as it rivals most lower- mid range fenders, they are VERY good instruments for a beginner or a pro on a tight budget. I don't know too much about the Acoustic amps though but humanity and other bass forumers speak highly off them as a cheap, well rounded sounding amp so I say go for em both.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
Acoustic is actually a really old brand.
Jaco Pastorius actually used Acoustic amps.

But Acoustic just started making new amps recently (right?)

They should be reliable.

As for bedroom practicing. 20-50 watt would be more than enough.
But if you decide to play with guitarist and drummer, then you need to look at those 200+.

You can check out Ashdown, Fender or Peavey amps. I have a Peavey Combo 115 and it can get pretty loud.

Squier is really nice. They were actually rated in the top 10 in basses under 500$ in Bass Player magazine.
An Ibanez GSR 200 (which I have) is also really nice deal.
The Yamahas also look pretty nice, but I never used any of those.

If your not sure, get the Squier.

In conclusion, just get whatever you were planing to buy. It looked like you did your research.
Last edited by gwath42 at Nov 7, 2008,
I have a Squier and an Acoustic Amp, both are great, you've got a good rig going on up there.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
good rig, it would definitely be worth it for that ab50 though, it has a much yummier tone than the B20, which is pretty damn yummy for a cheap amp. a jazz is great for that stuff, some RATM songs just don't seem right without that single coil sound.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Last edited by the humanity at Nov 7, 2008,
Quote by the humanity
some RATM songs just don't seem right without that single coil sound.

But at the same time some RATM songs (of the self titled) don't seem right without a stingray. But the VM are good basses, and these Acoustics are very nice practice amps.
Quote by IndianRockStar
But at the same time some RATM songs (of the self titled) don't seem right without a stingray. But the VM are good basses, and these Acoustics are very nice practice amps.

you need some major dough to get a stingray that sounds the way it should. not so for the jazz.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
you need some major dough to get a stingray that sounds the way it should. not so for the jazz.

True, true.

But I have heard some people who have more than decent stingray tones with a modded OLP.
^ True that, the lion's share of a bass's tone comes from the pickup and its position. That, and the player's fingers.
Nope, no sig here.