Hey, I've never been in here before... *looks around* don't hurt me xD
I have a nice acoustic at the moment, but it's not a full size acoustic, so isn't amazingly loud when I'm playing with my friend and it goes out of tune quite a lot, due to it being made before they laminated them e.t.c
I'm not looking after anything amazing like a Taylor or a Martin But I'd just like a nice tone. A cutaway is a big requirement also, not fussed about whether it's electro acoustic or just acoustic
I've been looking on the net for guitars in around the £200-£350 price range and I've found the following (in order of price):

Cort MR710F http://www.thomann.de/gb/cort_mr710tf.htm
Washburn D-10 N http://www.thomann.de/gb/washburn_d_10_sce_n.htm - heard good things about these?
Ibanez AW10 - http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_aw10_ecent.htm
Yamaha FGX 720 http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_fgx_720sc_nt.htm
Fender CD220 http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_dg22sce_asian_striped_ebony.htm

Now obviously I'm going to goto a shop and try these out along with a few others, but are there any in my list which are notoriously bad (or good) for the price?

Your help is appreciated
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Last edited by Yngwi3 at Nov 7, 2008,
Well I have a Fender, and it plays great. It's an older guitar mind you, '87. It has a nice bright sound, and a bit of deepness in its notes. I would try them all out before you buy anything.
Shawn George Noel
Quote by HISOTRA
Well I have a Fender, and it plays great. It's an older guitar mind you, '87. It has a nice bright sound, and a bit of deepness in its notes. I would try them all out before you buy anything.

I plan on doing so
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alvarez-Artist-Series-AD60SC-Dreadnought-AcousticElectric-Cutaway?sku=518739

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alvarez-FD60S-Fusion-Series-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=518811

Are a few I'd recommend if you can find Alvarez's in your area. Stay away from Ibanez and Fender acoustics, you can get a lot better guitar for your money than those two brands. Yamaha has some good stuff, and washburns are good, also check out Seagulls, they have a pretty good rep as well. I'm not a fan of Cort guitars either, but thats just me.
********May Truth and Good Music Prevail!********
I would honestly avoid Fender and Ibanez. They make great electric guitars, but this amazingness does not transfer to their acoustic guitars.

The Yamaha would be my top choice among the ones you listed. I dont think theres a better starter guitar brand than Yamaha, tbh.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
What you want to look for is, at the very least, a solid top. The soundboard accounts for about 85% of the tone of your axe. If you can get solid back and sides as well, then thats even better.

I don't pay attention to the exchange rates, but if I have it right, you're looking for something in the range of about $600 USD. Perfect! Epiphone Masterbuilt guitars are available with all solid woods for just that price.

You might also want to see if you can find a good deal on a used Larrivee *03 model. They have a dread and a L body style (similar to Gibson L series acoustics) and an OM that are really fantastic...all solid top, back & sides, ebony board and bridge...just really excellent guitars. The spruce for their tops is not to be believed at the price...very straight grain with lots of cross-silking...the kind of thing we normally would see on 2 and 3 thousand-dollar boutique axes. They can be had new for about $850-900usd or so, but you might find a much better deal on a used one.

Guild also makes a very reasonably priced all solid acoustic in that price range, but for my tastes, at least the ones I've played, they sounded too "tubby" for me.

Lastly, in regard to the models you listed, and in case you hadn't already guessed, I think you can do a lot better...
Thanks for all your informative posts I really have no idea what to look for in terms of woods and build other than my knowledge from electric guitars, which still isn't that great haha.
I had a look for some of the guitars you mentioned Max (I assume your name is Max?) and could only find an example of the Epiphone you mentioned: http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_dr500_me.htm
Guild are verry expensive As are Larrivee

Looks nice, but I do really want a cutaway if it's possible at all... I had a look around using the searchbar and saw that Takamine are often recommended and came up with this: http://www.thomann.de/gb/takamine_eg360sc.htm

As far as I can see, all the guitars I'm looking at have solid tops, mostly spruce I'm not sure about back and sides, but from "Mahogany back and sides" on a few of them I assume that they're solid as Mahogany's solid wood...?

lads.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Last edited by Yngwi3 at Nov 8, 2008,
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
I have 2 Yamahas- they aren't cutaways though. They sound awesome. Both have a deep, warm tone. They were under $300 (U.S) and for the money I think they sound better than some high-end guitars. Definitely worth the purchase.

Thanks My friend owns (well, his Dad owns and he borrows) a Yamaha as well which is why I was eager to try a few of them out because it really does sound great.
Checked your YouTube btw and listened to Rein, very nice

Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

That epiphone you listed is a GREAT guitar. Seriously good for the price. If I were to buy a guitar under $1000, it would be that one. I would get the rosewood version, but that's just me. I like a deeper, bassier sound.
Equipment:

When talking about acoustics and cutouts, the first thing you've got to remember is that if it's got a cutout, it's got electronics in it. Plain and simple. Most modern day mfr's will put electronics into these cutouts simply because they rekon they player will be able to access the higher frets more easily to play live things.
So, if you're not concerned weather or not you have electronics in it or not, but you need to have the cutout, then you'd better be prepared to get electronics as well. And pay for them. See my point? Why pay the excess cost of you're not going to be using it? If I were you, I'd stick with a standard, full sized dreadnaught and take it from there. You can always amplify later on if you wish. And the coutout won't be missed, trust me. There's sooo much you can do with the guitar as is, it's really no biggie.
Hmm okay then I guess.
I went to a shop today and tried a few guitars out, I tried out a Takamine and Yamaha similar to the ones listed above, I didn't like the Takamine at all so that's out, I was impressed with the Fender though.

A cutaway would be nice for me, but.. hmm meh I'll get over it I guess haha I now have to try the Epiphone
Quote by captivate
I would get the rosewood version, but that's just me. I like a deeper, bassier sound.

I usually prefer a deeper sound also. Are you talking about this one? http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/77542
Only thing which is putting me off is the extra £100
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Last edited by Yngwi3 at Nov 8, 2008,
Yes, that one. I played it 2 weeks ago for a good 20 minutes. The price difference is due to the fact that rosewood is harder to obtain than mahogany. Although... Mahogany is starting to become scarce, which is why they're starting to substitute it with "African Mahogany", better known as Sapele. Rosewood isn't any better than Mahogany, just different.
Equipment:

I see.
Well seeing as in the electric guitar world, Mahogany is liked for it's deep, darker tones, is this the same with acoustic? If so, I may just go with the mahogany one. (I aim to try it though after my experiences yesterday )
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Last edited by Yngwi3 at Nov 9, 2008,
Mahogany in the acoustic world is somewhere in the middle for warmth(for side/back wood). If mahogany is used for a top wood then it's the deepest and darkest bad boy out there(although still not the warmest/bassiest). Rosewood is generally regarded as the warmest/bassiest wood.
Equipment:

Hmm right..
I guess I shall have to try it out...somewhere first
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Take a look at Blueridge, Stanford and Revival. You'll get more guitar for the money.