I've been playing with my Epiphone Les Paul Speciall II for nearly 2 years. I've improved a lot since I started playing guitar, I've joined a band and we're playing several gigs in the future, so it's time for me to get a brand new guitar.

My budget is $600-700. I usually play hardcore stuff, mainly post-hardcore (think The Fall Of Troy, Emarosa, Thrice) and metalcore (August Burns Red, Underoath, Norma Jean, Parkway Drive, etc) but I also enjoy playing classic rock (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Guns N' Roses, Santana). So I'm looking for a guitar that can give me both good clean tones and good high-gain distortion. I would prefer a double cutaway guitar, but I'm fine playing a single cutaway.

I've been checking out Schecter guitars, especially the C-1 Plus. Even though it has Duncan Designed humbuckers, I've heard the pickups aren't that bad and are similar to a '59/JB pair, which is perfect for my needs. It also has coil tap, so that's a plus. The problem is that the only guitar store I know of that supplies Schecter guitars is currently out of stock, and they aren't sure when will they have more Schecter guitars available.

Recommend me other guitars so I have more options to choose from.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Schecter C-1+ with SD '59/Custom 5
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Well, most Schecters are really nice guitars and for a decent price. I have an S-1 and love it to death. It's not, per say, the ideal soloing guitar, but it's not impossible to solo with. Duncan Designed humbuckers are...eh...not the best in the world. If your playing Metal and your the second guitar then you don't need to worry, but after a while they start to sound pretty crappy anywhere on the B and E string bellow the 12 fret. I've heard some people say that S-1 sucks on Clean, but thats a LIE!!!! Turn on some reverb, pull the tone knob to switch to Single Coil, and you've got a clean sound thats heavenly. Then, slap that tone down, switch to neck pickup, stomp on your Metal Zone pedal and you've got one heck of a metal second guitar. Hope that helped.
Well, Im guessing you want a Floyd Rose considering you had a Les Paul for th past two years.
Look into an Ibanez Prestige that I think is about $750...it's above your budget but it's well worth it.
Then the're the Schecter C1 FR. Ahh, I love that guitar even though it's pretty cheap. I think it's $450, but you can maybe go to a guitar shop and change some of the pickups so you can get a great sound out of a cheaper guitar.
^Floyd Rose trems and locking trems in general are overrated. I speak from experience that, if you can live without reverse vibrato *coughJustBendForAHigherPitch/NoteCoughcough*, a synchronized trem is fine and will stay in tune. I have one, I know this.

Anyway, if you can pull out an extra $50 I'd recommend a Fender Highway One HSS strat. Humbucker growl for metal, single coils for more classic stuff.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by Bamitchell
Well, most Schecters are really nice guitars and for a decent price. I have an S-1 and love it to death.

off topic but can you pm pics of the s-1 i love that guitar hows it sound etc
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
@ HelzAngl: I really don't need a Floyd Rose. I prefer hardtail or string-thru. I'm not really into soloing or shred, and I don't need a whammy bar at all.

@ Chaz-6(sic)6: I'm not looking for a metal guitar, but the Jackson Dinky models caught my eye. I liked the DK2T Dinky better out of all the models, although I don't like the fact that it has a bolt-on neck. Still, I'll check it out. Can you tell me how good is it for clean tones and more vintage tones (you know, classic rock)?

@ Bamitchell: Thanks for the info. As I said, I don't do much soloing and I don't shred, so Schecter guitars are perfect imo.

@ AcousticSlayer: Thanks, PRS offers beautiful guitars. The SE Custom is only $600, I could put a SD JB on bridge and it could be perfect.

Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Quote by cxrlxscr
@ AcousticSlayer: Thanks, PRS offers beautiful guitars. The SE Custom is only $600, I could put a SD JB on bridge and it could be perfect.

if you havent tried it the pickups in it will probable suit you well as is prs pickups are great just give it a try before you buy
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by alternitivebass
if you havent tried it the pickups in it will probable suit you well as is prs pickups are great just give it a try before you buy

Thanks for info. After watching a couple of demos on YouTube, I think the stock pickups on the SE Custom sound great both clean and distorted.

@ necrosis1193: I completely agree with you. I just don't see the point of having a tremolo in a guitar.

I tried a Highway One HSS the other day by the way. It was a good guitar, but I just didn't like it.

Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Check out an sz series ibanez. I know musiciansfriend has an sz320 ex i think it is on sale for around 450-470. Then you have around 2-3oo left over to invest in some gear like new pickups. I have sz720 I got for 400 and it plays better than a lot of 800-1000 guitars. I also put some new Dimarzios in it which make it amazing.
That Ibanez looks pretty cool. It has a set-in neck and string-thru, so I imagine it has plenty of sustain. I'm wondering about the "Gibraltar III" bridge, what's the difference between this bridge and, said, a Tune-O-Matic? Does it have any special features?
Also, are the pickups Duncan Designed? If so, can you tell me about the tone they produce? I've heard "Duncan Designed" aren't quite Seymour Duncans and so can be of lower quality.

Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
i need some advice too
ive been playing for about 4 years
and im an intermediate about to do my final exams for music at high school
i need a really nice guitar
and have a guitar style similar to matt bellamy from muse (who plays custom Hugh Manson guitars)
and i really like thin neck guitars
im completely stumped as far as what to do

any help?
Quote by lachb123
i need some advice too
ive been playing for about 4 years
and im an intermediate about to do my final exams for music at high school
i need a really nice guitar
and have a guitar style similar to matt bellamy from muse (who plays custom Hugh Manson guitars)
and i really like thin neck guitars
im completely stumped as far as what to do

any help?

1. Start your own thread.

2. Read the rules.
Schecter C1 Blackjack with Seymour Duncan JB/59 pickups will do all those styles you mentioned. And if you like the look of em more, or prefer active pickups, there's always the Schecter C1 Blackjack ATX series with Seymour Duncan Blackouts.

I personally prefer Schecters and own a Schecter C1 Blackjack ATX FR in aged black. I would urge you to find another place to try them out, or just read all the reviews you can and get the shop to order one in (or order off the net, your choice), because I don't think that for the price you can really go wrong (try and find as many bad reviews as u can). They will also be a huge step up from the quality of your epi (I had and still have an Epi g400 SG that gets virtually zero playtime now because of this - feels like a toy in comparison). Don't settle! =)
@ yenners: Thanks, I liked the Blackjack, I'm sure the '59/JB pickups would fit my style perfectly and I guess it has plenty of sustain, so I'll consider it. The Blackjack ATX looks sick, but I prefer passive pickups. Thank you -Blue- as well.

@Swap-Meet: I was considering a Les Paul at first, but I decided I wanted something different.

There's this Ibanez guitar at a guitar store near my house I liked. It was a double-cut away, dual humbuckers, it had a natural finish. I didn't got to try it but I'll go and try as soon as I can. I forgot the model name, but can anyone identify the guitar? Would you recommend it?

Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Last edited by cxrlxscr at Nov 10, 2008,
Sorry for the double post/bump, but I have a few questions.

I just came across this guitar (http://cgi.ebay.com/Schecter-C-1-Plus-Electric-Guitar_W0QQitemZ280283664580QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20081109?IMSfp=TL081109104003r28833) on eBay. It's a Schecter C-1 Plus with Jazz/JB pickups, the bidder is selling it now for $375. Now I have never bought anything from eBay before, but I'm really considering this deal. What do you think about it? Apparently the seller has positive feedback. How safe is it buying through eBay? Would you recommend buying a used guitar from eBay? If you have done it before, could you explain a little bit about the experience?

Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Last edited by cxrlxscr at Nov 11, 2008,
what amp do you have? because if you have a crap one you should get a new amp first unless your guitar feels so uncomfortable it puts you off from playing.
Quote by Linkin p4rk
what amp do you have? because if you have a crap one you should get a new amp first unless your guitar feels so uncomfortable it puts you off from playing.

I know that it isn't worth playing a good guitar through a crappy amp. I own a Vox AD15VT, and I'm happy with it. It gives me all the tones I need, and it sounds great.

Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay