Page 1 of 2
Yeah, what's the average rates it would cost me and how long would it take me, do you think?
Check out my music, if you please.
The lowest I've heard is USD$600 for an album, and 3 days of recording/mastering, on Nirvana's "Bleach," and Maximum the Hormone's "Buiiki Kaesu," respectively.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
What level of recording are you looking for? also whats the skill level of the band? becuase if your not that good, or if you are but have never recorded before trust me....your are not making an album in 3 days
Quote by Max-Roach
What level of recording are you looking for? also whats the skill level of the band? becuase if your not that good, or if you are but have never recorded before trust me....your are not making an album in 3 days

exactly like we say in the studio "We make you sound good but we dont make miracles so please... practice!"
Quote by Max-Roach

we're actually looking to record a demo..

and we're ok, but we need practice
Check out my music, if you please.
Quote by GuitaristXakk
we're actually looking to record a demo..

and we're ok, but we need practice

Get tight first. Studi Engineering can only do so much. *cough Cher cough*
Well, have you tried Craigslist.com?

Quote by exect4500
a good multitrack recorder will cost you about 600$ start from there

Actually, I would ebay that shit, or again cragslist. I spent $ 1000 this summer and using ebay craglist and taking my time I got enough to record pretty good demo albums. So its probably not worth it to slam $600 right off the bat, not counting flat headphones, XLR cables, Mics, phantom power if needed, sub mixers (if needed), effects, etc.
Last edited by Max-Roach at Nov 7, 2008,
It really varies from album and band.
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
I'm getting $200 a song, and that's a GOOD deal from a friend. But it's excellent quality, the studio he uses (it's owned by someone else we know) is VERY good. I'm the only one that gets it for that cheap. I plan on doing about 7 songs, so $1400 for me. My intention with my first album though is for it to go over BIG. Not the usual first album bands have that is completely forgotten. I've put years into writing it...

So I'd say you should expect around $1500 for an ok quality album, unless you have a good connection.
We're only strays.
See 'Chinese Democracy' by G n R for a ball park of how much it will cost you and how long it will take to record the average album.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Not the usual first album bands have that is completely forgotten.

what?
Quote by Max-Roach
what?

Most bands have that VERY first album that they released when they just got out of high school or something lol.

To Misc Debris: Any album recorded in one day is going to blow. Even if you're a punk band. Hell you can't even get a good song out in one day.
We're only strays.
Last edited by Martyr's Prayer at Nov 7, 2008,
Quote by Misc Debris
We recorded our album ourselves
One day
$0
**** the man
Be independent

this. especially if you're a thrash or black metal, or punk band, terrible quality = badass.
Quote by Max-Roach
what?

I think he means that he wants to record a really good first album...unlike other bands who just record like a few demos and stuff.
Baby, can you dig your man?
He's a righteous man,
Baby, can you dig your man?

- Larry Underwood
Quote by Absent Mind
See 'Chinese Democracy' by G n R for a ball park of how much it will cost you and how long it will take to record the average album.

oh come on! we all know it only took so long because G n R have no stable line up in or out of the studio! anyways if you want to record a demo i recommend getting a good multitrack recorder for home i recommend this one if you want to keep the cost low but effective http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fostex-MR8-mkII-8Track-Digital-Recorder?sku=240343

should do you alot of good but im using a computer and audacity with a direct line in so i dont have much else i can tell you. on average if you want a decent studio and some time usually they can have an average of 40 to 50 bucks an hour(this is at a local studio in an arts center) and im not even sure about mixing and mastering but dont go quoting me on that as i use my home studio seeing as i'm a cheap bastard
Quote by Fzau
Wait.. you had sex thirty seconds ago and now you're in The Pit?
... you sir, are sick...

Quote by timeconsumer09
Quote by ThatGuy177
I can play bass.
That's not a useless talent.
It's just useless.

Last edited by Mattylightning at Nov 7, 2008,
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Most bands have that VERY first album that they released when they just got out of high school or something lol.

To Misc Debris: Any album recorded in one day is going to blow. Even if you're a punk band. Hell you can't even get a good song out in one day.

At first, your avatar looked like a hamburger.

An evil one at that.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
Quote by Martyr's Prayer

Really
Cause we got a whole album
Funny
Yes.
Quote by Misc Debris
Really
Cause we got a whole album
Funny

Black Sabbath was recorded in one day. Paranoid was recorded in two.
Quote by Trefellin
Black Sabbath was recorded in one day. Paranoid was recorded in two.

Is there a source for that? I REALLY find that hard to believe. They would have had to play it live (obviously) with very few takes. That is really hard. I've seen a band waste an entire day doing live takes. They just couldn't get it satisfactory.

And to Misc Debris, no offense but I'm sure that it could sound at least twice as good as it does if you had taken your time.
We're only strays.
I agree Martyr's Prayer
But I see no reason to shell out $600 for something we can do ourselves

And cutting an album in one day is not impossible
Not if you know the songs
Yes.
Knowing people is usually a great idea. My band's recordings are being done free as part of a friend's dissertation, so he's getting us in to my university's recording studio. Then it's just a case of getting CDs made, which in itself can be costly depending on what you go for (packaging etc).
My band spent $550 for one day of recording our demo.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by amisuary
I think he means that he wants to record a really good first album...unlike other bands who just record like a few demos and stuff.

No, I thought he meant bands that come out with their first album are usually crappy which is totally untrue...but then he said that he meant bands who are right out of high school and doing their first album it always sucks (which im not sure is true or untrue because thats a pretty general statement).
if you buy the equipment you could do it yourself for not that much. Obviously if you want it to sound amazing you'd be better off paying a professional. I'd say all my equipment cost me well under £1500, the majority of that being the price of my computer, fair enough it's far from a professional set up but it does the job seeing as I'm not going to be trying to put out a million selling album any time soon it does its job. It also gives you the opportunity to learn about recording yourself.

As far as time goes, how long is a peice of string
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Quote by Martyr's Prayer

May I point you towards Silverchair's Frogstomp my good sir? A weekend that masterpiece was recorded in. By 3 17 year old students.

EDIT:

Also, I do all my recordings myself. However, as a perfectionist, i'm constantly updating and re-arranging and buying new recording stuff. If you're like me, get someone else to do your mixing and recording until you're rich enough to buy it all yourself and get it done properly. However, if you're just going to do a few recordings, you should be able to get it pretty cheap. If there is an SAE institute near you then you can get it done for free by a first year student as part of their pass grade HOWEVER it'll cost you 200$ for the rights to the songs.
Need Singing Advice?; Read the first page then ask questions.

Quote by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
Last edited by Auals at Nov 10, 2008,
Quote by CLVPX
Ask rabidguitarist, he knows a lot about this stuff

Well, the album I've just finished (not the one in my sig, this is much much better quality sound) cost me exactly zero dollar. I'm probably not the best person to ask though, because I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing- I just press buttons, play some music, and hope it comes out ok.

And noone can really answer how long it is going to take you.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by PlayMadness
The lowest I've heard is USD$600 for an album, and 3 days of recording/mastering, on Nirvana's "Bleach," and Maximum the Hormone's "Buiiki Kaesu," respectively.

Even more than Chinese Democracy?
My band is recording our first demos ourselves. Our drummer owns a 24-input mixer that we're going to run to a Boss recorder. Once we get everything really tight, we have a friend who owns a small indie label and a studio to record, however, I do not know how much it will cost.

All I know is me and my friend have created amazing drum & guitar demos on the spot without any pre-planning or anything. To record an amazing album in one day is impossible. I actually want to do it just prove Martyr's Prayer wrong
Quote by SlinkyMcdougall
All I know is me and my friend have created amazing drum & guitar demos on the spot without any pre-planning or anything. To record an amazing album in one day is impossible. I actually want to do it just prove Martyr's Prayer wrong

I'll do it to prove him wrong.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
I'll do it to prove him wrong.

We should make a contest of who can record the best album in a day!
A four track recorder on ebay will set you back about 80 dollars.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Is there a source for that? I REALLY find that hard to believe. They would have had to play it live (obviously) with very few takes. That is really hard. I've seen a band waste an entire day doing live takes. They just couldn't get it satisfactory.

And to Misc Debris, no offense but I'm sure that it could sound at least twice as good as it does if you had taken your time.

Your an idiot, if you have your stuff down good you could easily get an album done in a day as long as:
Equipment works properly
You find a great tone fast
Your warmed up
You have no problems with your voice (ie. Cold)
No Cold Fingers (Practice recording at home to overcome this).
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

I do it myself, BUT I have spent (or more, borrowed) around a thousand pounds worth of equipment, and it sounds OK, but my band are all too lazy to spend enough time recording, so they end up sounding shit, because they are happy with "good enough" which pisses me off, because to them "good enough" is out of time. Makes the £10 I charged a friend's band to do a demo seem incredibly low given what others in this thread are saying (although they were too lazy as well, the drummer never even showed up and I ended up laying down a few drum tracks myself, which, given that I didn't know (or like - shitty punk) the songs came out pretty terrible.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by SlinkyMcdougall
We should make a contest of who can record the best album in a day!

Nah, because it would only be us- most of the people here can't even be bothered recording a song in a day, this contest wouldn't get much attention.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by Martyr's Prayer

this guy sounds like the next axl rose
meh
Quote by rabidguitarist
Nah, because it would only be us- most of the people here can't even be bothered recording a song in a day, this contest wouldn't get much attention.

I don't have a band so recording a song in a day is hard enough for me. Every instrument and then strings and singing as well and i'm stuffed...

Quote by DSchmitty
Your an idiot, if you have your stuff down good you could easily get an album done in a day as long as:
Equipment works properly
You find a great tone fast
Your warmed up
You have no problems with your voice (ie. Cold)
No Cold Fingers (Practice recording at home to overcome this).

God, it's you again. You have no idea how much you shit me. He's not an idiot, in a day is ****ing hard work. Even if you find all those things, getting an album done in a day is nearly impossible. Unless it's just acoustic recordings, then it's one take like a gig (if you're pitch perfect and don't mess up a note on your guitar). If you're in a band, NO mistakes fly. So you're talking at least 2 or 3 takes of a song (that is at the VERY minimum) for 12 or more songs (if we're talking a real album). And then if you want to multitrack it it's going to take even longer than that.
Need Singing Advice?; Read the first page then ask questions.

Quote by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
Last edited by Auals at Nov 10, 2008,
Page 1 of 2