So tonight I'm starting my new job at a local hockey arena. Basically, I'm a janitor, but I'm getting paid $15 an hour (which is practically twice minimum wage) and this first shift is from 11:30pm - 7:30 am. This is my first midnight shift and I'm not exaclty thrilled about it.

To top things off, my last shift at my previous job is tomorrow at 5:30. So the plan at the moment is to get home around 8 am, then sleep until 4 or so, and get ready for work. *sad face*

Anyways, for anyone else who's worked midnights, any tips? on staying awake or whatever. I tried to get some sleep earlier today but I have a hard time sleeping during the day, especially when a got a normal amount of sleep the night before, so that's no good.

P.S. - I don't care for hockey and I'm canadian, so that doesn't help things either..
I don't care if you don't care for hockey, get some skates and go ice skating if you're allowed to.

I would love to work at a Ice Arena.
There's no death, no end of time when I'm facing it with you...
I don't really know....you just have to get used to it over time...be awake during the night....become one with the night, be the night

be it!
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
Quote by technicolour
So tonight I'm starting my new job at a local hockey arena. Basically, I'm a janitor, but I'm getting paid $15 an hour (which is practically twice minimum wage) and this first shift is from 11:30pm - 7:30 am. This is my first midnight shift and I'm not exaclty thrilled about it.

To top things off, my last shift at my previous job is tomorrow at 5:30. So the plan at the moment is to get home around 8 am, then sleep until 4 or so, and get ready for work. *sad face*

Anyways, for anyone else who's worked midnights, any tips? on staying awake or whatever. I tried to get some sleep earlier today but I have a hard time sleeping during the day, especially when a got a normal amount of sleep the night before, so that's no good.

P.S. - I don't care for hockey and I'm canadian, so that doesn't help things either..

ERROR - DOES NOT COMPUTE.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
Quote by Bkennedy88
Red Bull......

I was thinking this, but will it last for 8 hours? No, I won't drink 5 of them in one night.
Your wage is awesome man! I would love to work there lol. I don't care if I'm a janitor.
Baby, can you dig your man?
He's a righteous man,
Baby, can you dig your man?

- Larry Underwood
Quote by technicolour
I was thinking this, but will it last for 8 hours? No, I won't drink 5 of them in one night.

The first shift will only require you to be awake a few more hours. Sleep after you get home, then the rhythm will be in.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
Quote by Pookie6
I don't care if you don't care for hockey, get some skates and go ice skating if you're allowed to.

I would love to work at AN Ice Arena.

TEH GRAMAR KNOTZIE STRIKES AGAHN!!!! Lulz.

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Quote by Wigert
ERROR - DOES NOT COMPUTE.

you are a winrar for that comment.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Quote by Wigert
The first shift will only require you to be awake a few more hours. Sleep after you get home, then the rhythm will be in.

+1
Drive the zamboni (sp?) if they have one.

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Quote by Soul-Monger
Watch the first season of Dexter.

+1
Call me Jack
Quote by AlecMag
TEH GRAMAR KNOTZIE STRIKES AGAHN!!!! Lulz.

Oh i guess i gotta be sent to my death for one very minor typo

Seriously though, go ice skating, it's tons of fun.
There's no death, no end of time when I'm facing it with you...
Quote by srv_king
+1

I'll actually will be doing work believe it or not.

And I don't get to drive the zamboni, but I do get to move the hockey nets so it doesn't run them over..
Quote by technicolour

I worked graveyard shift at a winery. But i'm a nightowl so I love it. Midnight to 8am for 2 weeks straight, every day of the week. ****ing brilliant watching the sun come up every morning.
Need Singing Advice?; Read the first page then ask questions.

Quote by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
my mom works a night shift at a hospital and told me the best way to stay awake is to stay busy. no drink will keep you awake for long
Shoot your jizz on the ice.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

,___,
[¬.¬]
/)__)
-"--"-

Quote by FishCream
Stop Performing Meathook Sodomy On Yourself
I work nightshift 11-7. Drink Coffee, After a few days you will be used to it.
█████████████████
█████████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
Quote by slaveofsatan

+1234lkwselkjaweiogfj23ou23roiu3erwoiuwe089u23409283tl.

This.
Need Singing Advice?; Read the first page then ask questions.

Quote by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
Quote by slaveofsatan

I am seriously contemplating this...I'd love to have someone trip over my frozen sperm...
I worked the night shift for about a year. I personally could not get used to it. Even if I got a good amount of sleep I still felt like a zombie all day. Energy drinks are good until they wear off. The best thing to do is to try to keep busy b/c the moment you sit down and relax it's over lol. I'd actually bring a battery powered alarm clock and sleep on my half hour lunch break!!! Man I had some crappy jobs lol!!
Quote by Pookie6

I would love to work at a Ice Arena.

I don't know how to skate, but I'd learn.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
I love working nights! The pay is good, especially on Sundays (+100%) and it's not hard to get into the proper rhythm if you're working only nights. I have a 4-shift job, so there is no rhythm
Quote by ironman1478
my mom works a night shift at a hospital and told me the best way to stay awake is to stay busy. no drink will keep you awake for long

Couldn't agree more, I work crewing all sorts of events and live shows, and the hours can be punishing. When you're short on sleep the best cure is to shift more heavy stuff. I can do a 4AM start on like 2 hours of sleep then do 12 hours building scaffold running on adrenalin the whole time. As soon as I'm left standing around waiting for a truck or something the fatigue hits and I feel like I've just been run over.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Can you listen to music? Bring your mp3 and listen to it. Any loud and agressive music will do. That's how I keep myself awake.
Quote by Bkennedy88
Red Bull......

No. He won't be able to sleep when he gets home.

TS, just don't sit down or get comfortable and you'll stay awake. Then you'll crash when you get home and get a good 4 hours rather than an interrupted 4 hours that you would get if you had an energy drink.