Poll Options
View poll results: pickups
SD JB and 59
9 45%
SD Distortion and Jazz
6 30%
SD Custom and 59(or jazz)
2 10%
SD Invader and Full Shred(inspired by jackson WR1)
3 15%
Voters: 20.
i have an EPI LP Standard and a Jackson RR24.
im in a dilemma. i want something that can do HEAVY as well as bluesy/jazzy sounds.
the jackson is heavy shit. only a bridge p/up though, cleans suck pretty bad.
so, should i look into buying a paul reed smith, HSS strat or something like that?
OR, since i like the LP feel, upgrade p/ups to something like a SD JB in the bridge and a '59 in the neck with coil tap pots? im gonna get grover tuners for it, so no worries about tuning stability with it...
im thinking i should just upgrade.i really like the guitar, and i think it would be beneficial to make excellent use out of it instead of having 3 guitars that i dont really get used..........and i wanna pick up a delay pedal and a tube screamer, so the extra cash would help. opinions?
pickup ideas?
-EDIT- have decided the simply change pickups. the ones in the poll are the ones that are my main ideas right now, feel free throw in some other ideas.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Last edited by wyldeshredder at Nov 7, 2008,
go for the p/up change it probable make you happy enough and that extras cash is also good
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
any good pickup change ideas?
JB/59?
dimarzios?
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

I would change your pickups. You have two very solid guitars, and with a change in pickups, you can make one of them even better with a tiny fraction of a cost of what it would be to buy a new guitar. Plus you'll have the extra money which is always awesome.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
a kazoo will rock some ass for like 85 cents.

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Krik harmret cuz he can prey der gertur wit te wurr wurr pedar!!

http://www.myspace.com/caledonia
Quote by SheikYerbouti
If you can raise the cash for a PRS, you really wont regret it.

yes but he will save money that is much more worth while then having 3 guitars
to TS the jb/59 combo should be great
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Pickup change for sure.
The JB is really good, but if you want to go REALLY heavy and also blues/jazz, get the Duncan Distortion.
HUGE output.
Member of the Laney Cult
thanks for the input fellas. i'll go for the pickup change. i think i'll start another thread for pickups...featuring a poll,since we all love those
EDIT-actually,i'll keep out forums cleaned up and just add a poll to this thread.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Quote by wyldeshredder
thanks for the input fellas. i'll go for the pickup change. i think i'll start another thread for pickups...featuring a poll,since we all love those
EDIT-actually,i'll keep out forums cleaned up and just add a poll to this thread.

Distortion and Jazz has my vote (obviously).
Great combo.
Member of the Laney Cult
went to my local music store, bought a delay pedal today
asked about p/ups, they said they could get them...one of the guys showed me a gibson 500T......does anyone think that USA gibby p/ups would work? any dimarzios? the tone zone/air norton's usually come up in pup threads, what r they like?
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

You might consider a Bill Lawrence L500XL. It was the same pickup that Nuno Bettencourt and Dimebag Darrell used. Nuno had a great bluesy and clean tone, and we all know Dimebag was the god of metal, so a very versatile pickup.
I have an epi G400 that sounds killer with a set of SD Invaders, really creamy for soloing but blisteringly hot and heavy for anything metal, chugging, riffs etc Great harmonics and great tone, not in anyway harsh or fizzy.

Having said that though, i'm not sure how well suited the invader is for the Les Paul. I think you can't really go wrong with the JB, but if you're adventurous the Invader is something different and could really make your day. Been wanting to try an invader in the neck of a les paul for the longest time! I just imagine it speaking so deep, cos the neck invader is really dynamic for soloing.

Just food for thought, but I think the JB would probably be the safest bet. If it were me i'd consider an invader neck pickup and a JB bridge pickup, but that's just me.

EDIT:

If you're on a budget (who isn't), have a look into WSC pickups, i think the LP SA or and SAR models or something, which are basically a copy of the Gibson PAF pickups everyone is after for LP's. There are a few shops in Melbourne here fitting them to LP's and raving about them rivalling the Gibsons, and they're only about $25USD ($40AUD) each. Also affordably priced are Wilkinson pickups, which I believe do an invader copy (overwound ceramic pickups with oversized pole pieces) worth around $40USD from memory i think.

Also the Bill Lawrence pickup would be a great choice too from what i've heard. No personal experience with it though.
Last edited by yenners at Nov 9, 2008,
thanx very much to yenners^ and mindstealer..
i had thought about the bill lawrence L500XL before...i love dimes playing, and i think his tone was great, but its not something i'd use...i like less highs, more mids and LOWs...ya baby lololol
i guess i should outline some tones i like. i really like gizmachi's live tone(ozzfest05), early metallica (RTL+a lil more mids= perfecto) three days grace, new slipknot, opeth minus a lil high mids, more lows, lamb of god (ashes and sacrament)
im really torn right now..can anyone outline the difference between the JB and distortion? and the 59 and jazz?
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Quote by wyldeshredder
i had thought about the bill lawrence L500XL before...i love dimes playing, and i think his tone was great, but its not something i'd use...i like less highs, more mids and LOWs...ya baby lololol
i guess i should outline some tones i like. i really like gizmachi's live tone(ozzfest05), early metallica (RTL+a lil more mids= perfecto) three days grace, new slipknot, opeth minus a lil high mids, more lows, lamb of god (ashes and sacrament)
im really torn right now..can anyone outline the difference between the JB and distortion? and the 59 and jazz?

JB and distortion: the Distortion is a little hotter wound (16.8k, I think), with a ceramic magnet; the JB a little tiny bit mellower(16.6k), with an alnico V magnet.

'59 and Jazz: The '59 is a PAF copy but a tiny bit hotter wound (~8.5k), and the Jazz is a little mellower (7.9k) and smoother sounding than the '59.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Nov 9, 2008,
Quote by wyldeshredder

If those are tones you like, I'd say go the Distortion.
I use the JB for stuff from Allman Brothers, Cream, Deep Purple, Zeppelin and Skynyrd through to Megadeth and Anthrax.
I use the Distortion for stuff more like KISS, Metallica, Opeth, Dream Theatre etc.
The Distortion is much hotter, and sounds a lot tighter than the JB.
The JB is a great pickup, but it's very open and midsy, and almost sounds a bit "honky" when you're playing with lots of gain.
Another option might be the L500XL, like suggested. They're nice pickups, just make sure you get the proper Bill Lawrence ones and not the ones from the Bill Lawrence shop. It's really confusing, and I don't really understand it at all. If you ask around, someone will explain it all to you.
Basically, the Bill Lawrence shop isn't owned by Bill Lawrence, but Bill Lawrence still makes and sells pickups under the name Bill Lawrence.
The real Lawrence pickups are great, the others are less so.

If anyone has any details, that'd be great.
Member of the Laney Cult
k, thx lads...i think i'll go for the duncan distortion in the bridge..i play through a marshall, so a dont need any more honky-ness lol... the bridge will be my metal p/up, for the neck i really wanna cover blues and killer cleans. between the 59 and jazz, does anyone have experience with what they sound like when split/tapped? i def. plan on buying coil spliting/tapping pots...just for verification, all the mentioned p/ups are 5 pin and can be split/tapped right?
so, best for cleans/blues...jazz/59?
thx jayke, ur helpin me out bigtime buck
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Quote by wyldeshredder
k, thx lads...i think i'll go for the duncan distortion in the bridge..i play through a marshall, so a dont need any more honky-ness lol... the bridge will be my metal p/up, for the neck i really wanna cover blues and killer cleans. between the 59 and jazz, does anyone have experience with what they sound like when split/tapped? i def. plan on buying coil spliting/tapping pots...just for verification, all the mentioned p/ups are 5 pin and can be split/tapped right?
so, best for cleans/blues...jazz/59?
thx jayke, ur helpin me out bigtime buck

No probs man, just trying to help

The '59 is one of the best blues pickups you can find...it's really warm and smooth, but can also get a nice crunch out of it if you want.
I'm not sure how it'd sound together with the Distortion, or how it'd sound tapped though.
The Jazz sounds good tapped, and it's a nice all-round pickup, very capable of blues/light rock tones.

So basically, the '59 is great but I'm unsure how it'd sound with the Distortion or tapped, and the Jazz sounds good tapped and for blues, but not as good as the '59.
Member of the Laney Cult
i think im gonna try to dig up some guitars with JB's, distortions, 59's, jazz ect. at the music store....
the rarely have high end jacksons, cept for the rr24 occasionaly, which is EMG,,,
but they do have deans, so i'll be able to try out some bill lawrence pups, and hopefully find some seymour duncans
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer