Poll: are cocky guitar players crappy guitar players?
Poll Options
View poll results: are cocky guitar players crappy guitar players?
yay?
124 64%
nay?
71 36%
Voters: 195.
Page 1 of 2
crappy guitar players? it seems every guitar player i meet that goes out of there way to talk about how good they are at guitar or how much they shred or how much they love tool and stonesour end up being exponentially worse then the previous guitar player who bragged about their skills only to have it be a enormous let down and an equally embarassing situation for the both of us.
the arsonist had oddly shaped feet...
Probably. I'm not cocky, I don't think I'm that good. But that's because I'm not.
Quote by alcoholicpanda
Depression?

Kill it with Lysol.

Quote by i_killed_bill
Some guy in a striped sweater stole all my hamburgers. **** was soooo not cash
some of them are pretty damn good, but yeah a lot of cocky guitarists are horrible.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
If they things along the lines of "I shred" or "so I was shredding", etc, they definitely suck.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Nov 7, 2008,
People always tell me that i am really good..but i dont let any of it go to my head because right now, i am nowhere close to the levels i would like to reach
what's wrong with Stone Sour?
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Waterboy799
what's wrong with Stone Sour?

nothing
Sometimes. I know I suck compared to anyone of reasonable badass, so I just keep my mouth shut, and when people say I'm great, I deny it.
i dunno really, i voted yay though, because most are.

i dont really brag at all about my playing, and i know i need to improve alot
I'm Steve
Someone can be great and have an ego problem, but there are tons of guitar players that brag because they're not happy with their playing and are trying to make up for it.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
I'd say bragging about your playing makes you a "bad guitarist" but not technically i don't think. They could be good, even if they shouldn't be bragging.

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Quote by stackedxactor
nothing

okay
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
How does that saying go? Modesty is a virtue? Something like that?

I don't know, but most of the guitar players I know that think they're all that really suck, and the good ones shut up.
Dude, talking about how you like Tool definitely doesn't make you suck. Stone Sour, maybe. But I dunno, there isn't any one definitive factor that makes someone a good or bad guitarist, there are tons of things that are involved with it. Being cocky probably wouldn't help but there are cocky guitarists that are good. It depends.
dont you dare bring Tool into this mofo
▲I had a friend once
►He took some acid
▼Now he thinks he's a fire engine
I heard cock.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quote by sysdown27

sorry? i like them. relax maybe?
Good guitarists let their playing talk for them
Quote by Mr.Pink101
I saw a bumper sticker in a guitar store that read
"Like all musicians, Your Following the Bassist"
I lol'd

Quote by muhat gandy
It was a weird feeling cumming to someone being ripped apart...
I said no, because although most of them are.. not all of them are, and I felt it was too much of a generalisation.
..is a girl
Quote by RPGoof
WAT
How about just send a ship at the speed up light directly to the sun, and the gravity will pull it towards the sun, thus speeding it over the speed of light.

most of the really good ones are not very cocky except Yngwie
member of ug hatecrew

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Quote by stackedxactor
sorry? i like them. relax maybe?

ok then. my work here is done
▲I had a friend once
►He took some acid
▼Now he thinks he's a fire engine
i smell yngwie malmsteen somewhere.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker
Chef Strato-Massacre: Cooking shitstorms since that comment.

Quote by PurpleClawz
Damnit why are you full of so much win
ego and ability do have SOME correlation (Yngwie) but I would much rather let my playing speak for itself. Pride comes before you fall straight on your ass.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Mmm Yngwie... thats alot of swed..... *someone whistles, "Whoa ehlert... ehlert... easy there"*
not all of them, look at Yngwie Malmsteen.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Most of the time in my experience. I get told I'm "really good- you're going to go far" all the time by non-guitarists. I just laugh it off, because I know I have a hell of a lot of work to do to get anywhere near a decent guitarist. But those guitarists who believe they are amazing are probably amazing at one thing, which is mostly shredding, and they don't take the time to get any feel for the instrument etc.

And some think they're amazing because they can play smoke on the water "WITH THE BASS PART TOO!" But they're just wankers.
Nope, Jaco Pastorius was the cockiest of cocks, and he was badass.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by Altoidwithmelon
People always tell me that i am really good..but i dont let any of it go to my head because right now, i am nowhere close to the levels i would like to reach

+1

There's this one guy I know who only plays in a pop punk/emo band and has been playing for about 3 years and he says I'm shit because I can play fast tempo metal and can play quite fast, plus he is arrogant, and ginger.
We ain't pushing the boundaries, we're blowing them up.
We ain't trying to expand the scene, we want the scene to erupt.

Quote by sysdown27

+1

Tool are awesome.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
well some cocky guitar players have the right to be cocky because they are awesome..... but i find I always end up liking the guitarrist with the best personalities because they are cool guys, and it reflects on their playing

TG
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
Page 1 of 2