Are neck-thru guitars worth it?
Do they really have more sustain? Even more than set-necks?
And how many seconds approximately.
Quote by The Spoon
I think this man wins the thread.

Quote by ZeGuitarist
We have a winner.
Not really. If this were true Fender wouldn't have $1,000+ bolt on necks.

I've played some neck-thru basses and the sustain difference was unnoticeable.

Unless you're playing in an extremely slow Doom metal band, what do you need excessive sustain for? Most distortion pedals increase sustain.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
not any real noticeable amount. the difference in sustain between the two is probably not very much. you can increase sustain in a bunch of different ways that are independent from the type of guitar you have. set necks, and neck thrus are in my opinion, the same in terms of sustain and tone.
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
I'd like to bust a couple common theories about sustain that the sustain-hungry tend to have.

Neck-thru = sustain. Wrong. I've read and done tests, it's really bolt-on > set > neck-thru. There's a reason Vai, Satriani, and, on most of them, Hammett, use bolt-ons on their signature models.

More frets = sustain. Plausible. I've played 21-fret Fenders that can out-sustain 24-fret Ibanez's. At the same time I've played the opposite.

Humbuckers = more sustain. Wrong. If you have high-output single-coils in, they'll out-sustain the high-output humbuckers I tried. Humbuckers are just generally higher-output.

stoptail = most sustain. Wrong. Reverse-stoptail > string-thru > stoptail > top-load trem

So no, it's really not worth extra money for neck-thru.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by necrosis1193
I'd like to bust a couple common theories about sustain that the sustain-hungry tend to have.

Neck-thru = sustain. Wrong. I've read and done tests, it's really bolt-on > set > neck-thru. There's a reason Vai, Satriani, and, on most of them, Hammett, use bolt-ons on their signature models.

More frets = sustain. Plausible. I've played 21-fret Fenders that can out-sustain 24-fret Ibanez's. At the same time I've played the opposite.

Humbuckers = more sustain. Wrong. If you have high-output single-coils in, they'll out-sustain the high-output humbuckers I tried. Humbuckers are just generally higher-output.

stoptail = most sustain. Wrong. Reverse-stoptail > string-thru > stoptail > top-load trem

So no, it's really not worth extra money for neck-thru.

Its worth the extra money for a neck thru only if you spend alot of time up by the neck joint, and just would prefer the added comfort of not having a neck joint