i have a epiphone les paul standard. and i can only aford one pick up. and i would want it to go in my bridge. would i put the 81 or 85 in the bridge. and can i have a active pickup with my stock pup that came with me epip till i get the other pickup. and how hard is it to put the new pickup in.
You can have one active and one passive pickup but it's a little more complicated to install that way. The 81 goes in the bridge position.

This is from EMG's website,
It is possible to mix EMG's with passive pickups.
There are three possible wiring configurations; one is better than the other two.

1.Use the high impedance (250K-500K) volume and tone controls.
The problem is that the high impedance controls act more like a switch to the EMG's.
The passive pickups, however, will work fine.
If you have a guitar with two pickups and two volume pots, with a three-way switch, there is another alternative.
Use the 25K pots for the EMG, and the 250K or 500k pots for the passive pickup.
This way you can use one or the other with no adverse affects,
but with the switch in the middle position the passive pickup will have reduced gain and response.

2.Use the low-impedance (25K) volume and tone controls provided with the EMG's.
The problem here is that the passive pickups will suffer a reduction in gain and loss of high-frequency response.

3.This is the best alternative.
Install an EMG-PA-2 on the passive pickups. There are two benefits to doing this.
With the trimpot on the PA-2, you can adjust the gain of the passive pickups to match the EMG's.
The PA-2 acts as an impedance matching device so you can use the low-impedance EMG controls (25K) without affecting the tone
of the passive pickups.
You will also be able to use other EMG accessory circuits such as the SPC, RPC, EXB, EXG, etc.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Nov 7, 2008,
just save some more.
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
or you can get a passive pickup instead of an active?
Gear:

Esp Ltd DJ-600
Ibanez S520EX
Parker P 44 Pro
Traynor YCS100 Head
Traynor YCS412 cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD20
Boss GE-21
Ibanez TS7
EH Soul Preacher
BBE Sonix Maximizer 462 rack
it can be done but the middle position (both pups) will not sound how its supposed to. also most guitars have ground soldiering on the back of the pots. a soldiering iron with enough power to heat it fast enough to bond properly without cooking the pot is probably going to cost you half as much as just having it done by a leuthier. and thats assuming you get it right the first time and dont fry your pots or make a bad connection or wire it wrong or dont ground and shield properly. also wether you do it yourelf or pay a leuthier if you do it one at a time youll have to go through it twice. id advise you to just save up a little longer and get the pups in a set (will cost less overall) and pay to have them installed. also keep in mind with those active pups youre going to be changing out the battery every week or two and youll have to plug and unplug the guitar every time you play it (if you leave it plugged in and trust me you will forget occasionally the battery will die overnight).
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
also keep in mind with those active pups youre going to be changing out the battery every week or two and youll have to plug and unplug the guitar every time you play it (if you leave it plugged in and trust me you will forget occasionally the battery will die overnight).

If you unplug the guitar when you're done playing the batteries will last 10 months to a year depending on how much you play it. I always unpug my guitars anyway so that wasn't a big deal to me. If you're not good a soldering you might want a pro to install them.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
If you unplug the guitar when you're done playing the batteries will last 10 months to a year depending on how much you play it. I always unpug my guitars anyway so that wasn't a big deal to me. If you're not good a soldering you might want a pro to install them.

i was wandering can i just buy both pups and have a pro install them. or do i have to buy more stuf.
You need to get the EMG Zakk Wylde set. It's the 81 & 85 set you want and the correct pots (long shaft) to fit your Les Paul. Single EMG's come with short shaft pots and the ZW set comes with a set of each. With the ZW set you shouldn't need to buy anything else and it's $2 cheaper than buying them seperately. Prices vary on getting them installed. My local shop only charges $15 dollars but alot of places charge more than that.
What type of music do you play? Active EMGs are not the best when it comes to versatility.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by hminh87
What type of music do you play? Active EMGs are not the best when it comes to versatility.

'

i play alot of hard core. but i sometimes i play with my churches youth band. and when i play with them i use a sd-1. and some cleans.
There are plenty of passives out there that will do the job. And there are plenty of ways to get more gain without massive output from pickups. A booster or OD will give more versatility you can easily turn em off.