Hey are there any pedals out there that can replicate the sound of two guitars playing at the same time such as "Through the Fire and Flames" by DragonForce and "Unholy Confessions" by A7X?
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
I may be a Narcissist, But im the Best Narcissist
Quote by dxpaintball8000
Hey are there any pedals out there that can replicate the sound of two guitars playing at the same time such as "Through the Fire and Flames" by DragonForce and "Unholy Confessions" by A7X?

dont they just have multiple guitarists?
delay!

essentially. a loop station would work if you want to create and play different simultaneous riffs on the fly.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
a harmonizer/doubler pedal actually. A Digitech Whammy can do harmonies. A looper actually just records what you play and plays it back.
Quote by bass-man9712
after i clicked all i could think was "please don't be goatse, please dont be goatse"

PSN: Effigyoferebus (feel free to add it)
Quote by toshiro umezewa
dont they just have multiple guitarists?

Yeah Avenged Sevenfold has Synyster Gates (my fav) and Zacky Vengence. Dragonforce has Herman Li (sucks ass) and Sam Totman i believe. No fancy pedals my friend
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
Yeah A7X Has got 2 guitarists and Dragonforce too :S

And yeah maybe try a loop station or a delay pedal.
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
They do.
I believe he needs an octave/pitch shifter pedal.

Boss PS 5
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-PS5-SUPER-Shifter-Pedal?sku=151330

Don't know how good it is....just know what it does.

Also look into the Digitech Whammy:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-Whammy-Pedal-with-MIDI-Control?sku=150171

Again, i have no personal experience with these...sorry

Edit: Beaten to the punch.
^one of those two.

people saying to get a delay pedal are just being stupid.

a delay pedal isn't going to double your guitar signal and change the doubled signal into different notes such as 3rds, 5ths, octaves, and such.

it's just going to create a delay behind it.. which sometimes if the delay is long enough you can then play along with it to make a harmony but it wouldn't be near long enough for songs like the ones you listed.. plus you wouldn't actually be able to use it when playing along or live or something..

a delay pedal could almost double the signal if the delay was really short but the doubled one wouldn't be modified and it would serve no purpose..

so yeah your best bet is a Boss Loop Station, a Boss PS5 Super Shifter, or a Digitech Whammy Pedal.

the first one would sound the best but takes more time and is alot more complicated whilist the 2nd two are simpler.

The Loop Station is just a looper.. you basically will record one guitar part and then have it play and play the harmonized one over it.. and there you go.

The PS5 harmonizes by key.. so although the key system is rather smarter then the Whammy pedal.. it isn't as convienant. It does do a better job but I prefer the Whammy pedal since you don't have to change it to fit the key you're playing.. it just harmonizes to a selection of choices.. the list is pretty big, like 20 something?
Octave Up, Octave Down, Minor and Major 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, and just all sorts of things.

If you don't have an effects loop or a distortion pedal though.. then when playing on the dirty channel the two signals will mix together and distort and it won't sound good at all so I wouldn't buy any of the pedals for harmonizing if this will be the outcome.
To avoid this.. simply put the pedal in the effects loop or put your distortion pedal before the Whammy Pedal, Super Shifter, or Loop Station.

My preference is the Digitech Whammy pedal.. not only does it have a good selection of harmonization but it also has de-tune (basically chorus) and a variation of octave up and down features.. one octave up, two octaves up, one octave down, two octaves down, dive-bomb.. which is like 4 octaves down and mocks the sound of having a floyd rose nearly pushed down all the way, and drop-tune.. which is nice. It can push your guitar signal down a half-step or a whole step.. to get a half-step just right you have to be good at positioning the pedal just perfect.. as for whole-step you simply push it all the way.
It's very good for those Drop-C songs when playing live after you just played a song in standard tuning. The open notes and such don't quite sound their best.. like the notes that aren't normally available to play.. but it sounds okay still nonetheless and the other notes don't sound bad at all. They sound exactly as they do when playing up and in standard tuning.

but yeah, I'll stop ranting about the other features that you aren't interested in now. =P

If you don't have two guitarists or there are three guitar parts and you have an effects-loop on your amp or play with a distortion pedal then I advise you to get the Digitech Whammy Pedal.. not only will it help you with the harmonizing and such but it also has several other features that are pretty sweet =]

so yeah, that's my 2 cents.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Nov 7, 2008,
Quote by TechnicolorType
^one of those two.

a delay pedal isn't going to double your guitar signal and change the doubled signal into different notes such as 3rds, 5ths, octaves, and such.

it's just going to create a delay behind it.. which sometimes if the delay is long enough you can then play along with it to make a harmony but it wouldn't be near long enough for songs like the ones you listed.. plus you wouldn't actually be able to use it when playing along or live or something..

a delay pedal could almost double the signal if the delay was really short but the doubled one wouldn't be modified and it would serve no purpose..

so yeah your best bet is a Boss Loop Station, a Boss PS5 Super Shifter, or a Digitech Whammy Pedal.

the first one would sound the best but takes more time and is alot more complicated whilist the 2nd two are simpler.

The Loop Station is just a looper.. you basically will record one guitar part and then have it play and play the harmonized one over it.. and there you go.

The PS5 harmonizes by key.. so although the key system is rather smarter then the Whammy pedal.. it isn't as convienant. It does do a better job but I prefer the Whammy pedal since you don't have to change it to fit the key you're playing.. it just harmonizes to a selection of choices.. the list is pretty big, like 20 something?
Octave Up, Octave Down, Minor and Major 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, and just all sorts of things.

If you don't have an effects loop or a distortion pedal though.. then when playing on the dirty channel the two signals will mix together and distort and it won't sound good at all so I wouldn't buy any of the pedals for harmonizing if this will be the outcome.
To avoid this.. simply put the pedal in the effects loop or put your distortion pedal before the Whammy Pedal, Super Shifter, or Loop Station.

My preference is the Digitech Whammy pedal.. not only does it have a good selection of harmonization but it also has de-tune (basically chorus) and a variation of octave up and down features.. one octave up, two octaves up, one octave down, two octaves down, dive-bomb.. which is like 4 octaves down and mocks the sound of having a floyd rose nearly pushed down all the way, and drop-tune.. which is nice. It can push your guitar signal down a half-step or a whole step.. to get a half-step just right you have to be good at positioning the pedal just perfect.. as for whole-step you simply push it all the way.
It's very good for those Drop-C songs when playing live after you just played a song in standard tuning. The open notes and such don't quite sound their best.. like the notes that aren't normally available to play.. but it sounds okay still nonetheless and the other notes don't sound bad at all. They sound exactly as they do when playing up and in standard tuning.

but yeah, I'll stop ranting about the other features that you aren't interested in now. =P

If you don't have two guitarists or there are three guitar parts and you have an effects-loop on your amp or play with a distortion pedal then I advise you to get the Digitech Whammy Pedal.. not only will it help you with the harmonizing and such but it also has several other features that are pretty sweet =]

A bit more than 2 cents
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by TechnicolorType
^one of those two.

of course a delay isn't going to pitch shift. but if you have a delay pedal set up in stereo (ping pong they usually call it), and you have a quick short delay (meaning.. 1 hit.) then it will pretty much sound like 2 people playing the same riff.

thats more or less what it sounds like if you do 2 takes and pan them both left and right. not 100% but its a quick and passable thing to do if you just want a bigger sound.
Quote by Kivarenn82
of course a delay isn't going to pitch shift. but if you have a delay pedal set up in stereo (ping pong they usually call it), and you have a quick short delay (meaning.. 1 hit.) then it will pretty much sound like 2 people playing the same riff.

thats more or less what it sounds like if you do 2 takes and pan them both left and right. not 100% but its a quick and passable thing to do if you just want a bigger sound.

Yeah you're right...

People who say delay pedals are not stupid

And yeah like u said Just put the delay on like half a second or a second it will sound like there's 2 guitars!
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
I mentioned that but the guy wants harmonization, not just the sound of two guitars playing the same thing.

It's rather simple to tell since the songs he listed have dual guitar parts and they aren't the exact same. Like Unholy Confessions.
There's two guitar parts through the whole thing but alot of times they are harmonized.

but yeah, I have a delay pedal and I used to set it very short and it would give that double guitar sound people are talking about.
It fits some un-harmonized stuff, like songs by the Scorpions.
Alot of times they have the same thing played twice to give them that unique sound.. but half the time the 2nd one is harmonized to the first.. but still.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Nov 8, 2008,
Those bands have two guitarists playing harmonies. There's two ways you can do this yourself.

1) Harmonizer or Pitch Shifter pedal
2) Looper Pedal. For this you must know your theory in order to get a proper harmony.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

^ Don't you have to know how to stay in key anyway if you play in a band?
You could also use a chorus. But none of these are going to work anyway near as well as actually have a second guitarist.
Well it's not really key.

From what I remember you take each note and you go up by a certain amount of notes.

I think the way Thirds go is if one note is A, then the other guitar would be C. I might be horribly wrong. Not all harmonies are done in thirds though.

<----
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by msuspartan
Yeah Avenged Sevenfold has Synyster Gates (my fav) and Zacky Vengence. Dragonforce has Herman Li (sucks ass) and Sam Totman i believe. No fancy pedals my friend

Herman Li and No Fancy Pedals?
Kaya Scodelario... Wow

GEAR:
Air
Purple Tortex Jazz Picks
Quote by TechnicolorType
I mentioned that but the guy wants harmonization, not just the sound of two guitars playing the same thing.

It's rather simple to tell since the songs he listed have dual guitar parts and they aren't the exact same. Like Unholy Confessions.
There's two guitar parts through the whole thing but alot of times they are harmonized.

but yeah, I have a delay pedal and I used to set it very short and it would give that double guitar sound people are talking about.
It fits some un-harmonized stuff, like songs by the Scorpions.
Alot of times they have the same thing played twice to give them that unique sound.. but half the time the 2nd one is harmonized to the first.. but still.

ahhh ok i gotcha

i've never heard the song unholy confessions personally.. but if he needs a specific harmony going.. i imagine even that would be out of the range of a simple harmonizer pedal.

sometimes, if you want to sound like 2 guitars.. you jsut need 2 guitars!

.. yea he was the only guy i could think of..
for the same sound as what is played a chorus pedal
for changing it into 3rds, 5ths, etc. a harmonizer
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20