I dont get it. Whats the difference between a gibson explorer and the faded gibson faded explorer. the faded one is a LOT cheaper. why is that? Just because of the colour?
are you sure your not confusing with epiphone? any links to them?
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
Actually the reason is because it's probably got a different style body then the explorer, it's probably a wooden finish so it's not as desirable as one that is polished. I don't know why, but it's the finish.

My guitars like this I have a gibson special faded SG. and it's like a quarter of what an original SG is and I honestly cant tell the difference between the two besides the look.
so that means both sounds the same? the only difference is the colour?
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Some people would say because of the very expensive Nitrocellulose finsh it sounds better but most people couldn't tell the difference. I played both a finished V and a faded V thru the same amp at Guitar Center about a year ago we kept asking customers if they could hear any difference and no one could say for sure even the sales staff. I am not a fan of Nitrocellulose finishes. I have seen so many fairly newer Gibsons with failing finishes it's not funny. Gibson Nitrocellulose laquer finishes used today are not the same formulas used in the 50s and 60s mainly because it's very volitile. They say because the Nitrocellulose is very thin it lets the wood breath so if that's the case a guitar without a finsh breaths better. Even though I used to collect Gibsons I never was a fan for their finishes. Most guitar companies today use a polyester finish it can be sprayed thin too PRS to Epi and a lot in between use Poly. Most faded or worn finish guitars are about a third of the price of the high gloss finished guitars if you like the worn or faded look save yourself some money and buy it over the more expensive model.
i would get the unfinished due to it being cheaper and basically the same parts as the finished one. I just dont really like the dark mahogany brown with a black pickguard. they could have at least made it faded cherry like the SG's and LP's.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by johnro6659
Some people would say because of the very expensive Nitrocellulose finsh it sounds better but most people couldn't tell the difference. I played both a finished V and a faded V thru the same amp at Guitar Center about a year ago we kept asking customers if they could hear any difference and no one could say for sure even the sales staff. I am not a fan of Nitrocellulose finishes. I have seen so many fairly newer Gibsons with failing finishes it's not funny. Gibson Nitrocellulose laquer finishes used today are not the same formulas used in the 50s and 60s mainly because it's very volitile. They say because the Nitrocellulose is very thin it lets the wood breath so if that's the case a guitar without a finsh breaths better. Even though I used to collect Gibsons I never was a fan for their finishes. Most guitar companies today use a polyester finish it can be sprayed thin too PRS to Epi and a lot in between use Poly. Most faded or worn finish guitars are about a third of the price of the high gloss finished guitars if you like the worn or faded look save yourself some money and buy it over the more expensive model.

Well, you've got to remember, nitrocellulose is car paint, and Fender used it because it was cheap back then. I think that's the story, but who cares. Why people still use it today, I wonder. Okay, it ages well, and it looks cool once bits of the paint wear off, but still, poly finishes wear too, but it just takes a little more time.

Oh well. I'll live.
Cam Sampbell's my hero