Hey guys, well my band is playing in this gig for AIDS awareness and the song we're doing is Meant To Live - Switchfoot(IT's really easy, the easist song we've done till now, we're just doing it cuz it fits in with the theme). THe song is in Bm, so I want to put in a solo at the end, so I was wondering how exactly to go about it. How do I begin it, I need some quick parts in between, and how do I end it?

Thanks in advance!
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Can you be more specific as to what you're asking? If the song is in Bm, write a solo using the Bm scale.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Yes I know about writing it in scale and all the notes I should use, but how should I structure it so as to make it sound good?

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

dude... are u asking us to write u a solo? if u dont know how to 'structure' a solo, it makes me question how u are able to write songs in the band that you are in now (assuming u write songs). i recommend you keep it simple if this is doing ur head in and just follow the sheet music for the song.
This might work, first try learning 12-bar blues improv. It's one of the most simplest types of soloing IMO and once you learn that, soloing in other genres of music will be easier.
Quote by goonerbynature
Yes I know about writing it in scale and all the notes I should use, but how should I structure it so as to make it sound good?

That's a tremendously vague question. There's nothing I can tell you other than to start analyzing solos that you like to see how other artists create them.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by goonerbynature
my band is playing in this gig for AIDS awareness and the song we're doing is Meant To Live - Switchfoot
Are you serious? Sorry but that seems like a rather morbid choice of song for such an event
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
^ haha yeah I know, but its the name, and the organizers wanted that so who are we to complain?

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Quote by pwrmax
This might work, first try learning 12-bar blues improv. It's one of the most simplest types of soloing IMO and once you learn that, soloing in other genres of music will be easier.

thanks, a far more helpful answer than asking if i want you guys to write me a solo and digs at the choice of song!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Quote by goonerbynature
thanks, a far more helpful answer than asking if i want you guys to write me a solo and digs at the choice of song!

You didn't get a helpful answer because your question was ridiculous vague. Ask a specific question, and you'll get a helpful answer.
^ well on looking back I guess you're right.

what i meant was , how do i structure the solo, as in, would it be best to begin it with bang, with some quick shredding or something, or something slower and then build it up in intensity before the climax. I'm asking all this bearing in mind the theme of the show , and i need to put some emotion into it.

That help?

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

watch things on phrasing who was tat guy branny always was saying was good scott some one ? he had some video's on phrasing?

anyways watch some videos on phrasing that is all you need
song stuck in my head today

Quote by goonerbynature
^ well on looking back I guess you're right.

what i meant was , how do i structure the solo, as in, would it be best to begin it with bang, with some quick shredding or something, or something slower and then build it up in intensity before the climax. I'm asking all this bearing in mind the theme of the show , and i need to put some emotion into it.

That help?
I don't know the song very well, but I'd try to mimic some of the vocal lines, especially the chorus, and then build up to some shreddy stuff towards the end.

Megadeth's Tornado of Souls is pretty much THE Bm solo if you like shred (else it's Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb, though you can learn from both), so while Tornado sounds nothing like what you're playing, just listen to the way Friedman plays slow and melodic with little bursts of speed, then finally starts wailing when those arps come in at the end.

I'm fairly certain your song is not in Bm, though. Again, I don't know the song too well, so I may be wrong (FYI, D major=/=Bm).
well, i know that Bm and D are relative, but how exactly can you tell whether a song is in Bm or D, as they have the same notes, and how does it make a difference if I'm writing something in that scale?

PS- i have actually finally got around to writing the thing, its getting along pretty nicely actually.

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Quote by goonerbynature
well, i know that Bm and D are relative, but how exactly can you tell whether a song is in Bm or D, as they have the same notes, and how does it make a difference if I'm writing something in that scale?

PS- i have actually finally got around to writing the thing, its getting along pretty nicely actually.

If it resolves to B it's in B minor and if it resolves to D it is in D major.

When you're writing something in Bm you probably want to end on a B whereas if you do this and it's actually in D major it could sound unfinished. Also, if you are in B minor you might put some A#s in, as they sound like they want to resolve to the B more than the A natural usually does.
well, i'm getting kinda confused here, but appreciate everyone's help!

well the song ends on E, if that helps

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Quote by bangoodcharlote
just listen to the way Friedman plays slow and melodic with little bursts of speed, then finally starts wailing when those arps come in at the end.

This. Don't be all "Hey look how fast I can play!!!" Good melody and phrasing always triumph over speed.
^ unless, obviously, the point is to play a wobbly atonal texture-lick, in which case that's absolutely useless.

TS, how do you think a solo should be structured? You can do it any way you want, probably the absolute default is this -

Long slow bend to root note > Rock cliches > Repetition of song melody octave higher > Fast ascending sequence/arpeggio lick > intense vibrato on root note.

Try that and you'll probably go "OMG IS EVERY GREAT SOLO EVAR". Enjoy.
part of it will probably be the intro riff, and maybe parts of the chord progression in the chorus(G A B E )

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist