Im almost done my guitar as some of you know and im looking at buffing arbors.

This probably isnt going to be a one time thing, so i want to invest a little of my dads money (tee-hee) in an arbor, something like what stew mac has, only without the giant price tag.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Abrasives,_polishes,_buffers/Buffing_Arbor_System.html

Any ideas?
Drill or angle grinder.

3M Perfect it 3 compound.

Red white and blue buffing sponges.
Quote by Øttər
^ Yeah.

Or, a $50 simoniz car waxer...

Not good enough.

They are designed for applying polish, not cutting lacquer.

Would work, but would be hard work and may not get the lacquer up to temp.

As an aside, did you know that lots of people think that Polish and Wax are the same?

- Cutting/Buffing compound.
- Polish
- Glaze/Wax
Im leaning towards getting a buffing wheel for my angle grinder and doing it that way. That 3M stuff looks convincing.
Quote by Skeet UK
Not good enough.

They are designed for applying polish, not cutting lacquer.

Would work, but would be hard work and may not get the lacquer up to temp.

As an aside, did you know that lots of people think that Polish and Wax are the same?

- Cutting/Buffing compound.
- Polish
- Glaze/Wax

So, you're saying that I can't use my Simoniz car waxer to buff a guitar?

Really?

I'm not so sure about that...

EDIT: By the way, I used buffing compound, not wax.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
So, you're saying that I can't use my Simoniz car waxer to buff a guitar?

Really?

I'm not so sure about that...

EDIT: By the way, I used buffing compound, not wax.

You CAN use it, of course and it will work, but it isn't designed to re-flow lacquer for a fine finish.

Yes, your guitar looks shiny, but when I talk about a good finish, I mean a good finish, not an adequate one.

That is no disrespect to you whatsoever and to be honest, you can't really critique a paint job via a picture, but I am sure you would agree, that there will be a noticeable difference, between an an expertly applied paintjob and an amateur one.

Just the same as you would agree, that your guitar is very nice, but one of Perry's will be better.

The three sponge buffer's are also better than the lambswool bonnets.

They can burn the lacquer if you are not careful.
That is true...

You can use them with really good results if you want, really is all i was trying to say.

I can't tell the difference in the shine between my Gibson SG, my custom made one, my Epiphone, my Yamaha.. they all look just as good.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
That is true...

You can use them with really good results if you want, really is all i was trying to say.

I can't tell the difference in the shine between my Gibson SG, my custom made one, my Epiphone, my Yamaha.. they all look just as good.

Yeah. Well, as I said, there is a difference between an Adequate finish and a PROPER finish.

You don't expect to get a custom paint quality finish, from a factory do you?

The other thing, is you have to know what your looking for as well.

So yes, you can get an adequate finish with a car polisher, that could be just as good as any of the big names put out.