Staccato in musical terms is to make a note stand out, so staccato picking in that effect would be open to interpretation. Paul Gilbert talks about staccato picking in some of his instructional videos, when gilbert does staccato he tends to dig the pick further into the strings with a harder motion, it gets a well chunky tone!
Quote by SiKh22
I was reading on wiki, that Janick of Maiden uses this.

It may be referring to staccato as opposed to the more legato styles of the other guys in Maiden, so if I remember rightly his solos tend to be much more picked than legato? If it's not that I'm not sure.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
No, all it refers is not allowing a note to ring out for its full duration without inserting a rest in there. In context of guitar, basically it means muting a note. for example, the riff to Battery is played staccato.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It may be referring to staccato as opposed to the more legato styles of the other guys in Maiden, so if I remember rightly his solos tend to be much more picked than legato? If it's not that I'm not sure.

Yeah hes got a very heavy tone compared to Dave and Adrian, thanks guys!
LOL
Staccato is basically playing about a 16th note on like a quarter note. How to say this hmmmmm.

Like if u play a passage, it has like a "stuttering" quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnlkku8d8VU

0:17 - 032 of this clip is staccato.(and maybe more of the vid, didn't watch it all way tru)

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Its means "To be played detached" so... make every not very distinguishable, with a mute in between.
Gibson Les Paul Special Faded with Evo bridge and PAF Joe neck. Mesa Boogie Rect-o-verb.
Quote by rokknrollldude
wrathlegion, i would like to shake hands

Quote by AllUrBase
I assume you're playing just open strings, so not to scratch your frets.