Hi guys. I've been playing since January of 2006 and right now I don't know where to go with my guitar playing. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on where i should go from this point. I know the A Major Pentatonic scale and a couple chords (A, Am, G, D, E, Em, Dm, C, B, and some other varients). I also know a couple riffs, but I'm confused on where to go from here.

Also I've heard about incorporating other band's styles into your playing. How does that work? For instance, how would I incorporate Avenged Sevenfold, Sum 41, Steve Vai, or Joe Satriani into my playing with what I know now, or how would I practice to get my skill and technique up to be enough to incorporate their style into mine?
Quote by NGD1313
Yes, my mom walked in on me getting my carrot skinned.

So I freaked out and flipped the vegetable tray.

There was ranch everywhere.
I would work on learning how to play all the main chords (A, B, C, D, E, F, G and their minors and well as 7ths.), and become comfortable with playing them all over the neck.
That's what I did. Then start learning more scale modes. Start with major and minor pentatonic and major and minor ionian. Then try harmonic minor and dorian, then move on to the other modes.
Scales are really important and once you know them pretty well and can move them across the neck really well, you will be able to learn a lot of new licks fairly quickly, esp. Satriani and A7X.
Also, just practice the riffs you know, and always be listening to stuff you've never heard before to get more riffs in your head, then just go for it and learn them

I hope this was of some help, that's seemed to work for me as a guitarist
the F is the only one I cant play because its barre, but I know all major chords except that. I also as I stated know the A major pentatonic.
Quote by NGD1313
Yes, my mom walked in on me getting my carrot skinned.

So I freaked out and flipped the vegetable tray.

There was ranch everywhere.
Quote by Gorre
the F is the only one I cant play because its barre, but I know all major chords except that. I also as I stated know the A major pentatonic.

Work on that then
Quote by frajfraj
Then start learning more scale modes. Start with major and minor pentatonic and major and minor ionian. Then try harmonic minor and dorian, then move on to the other modes.

1 - Modes really aren't that useful. They can help with some things but they don't help anywhere near as much as most people think they do and they certainly don't do anything but confuse you if you're a n00b.

2 - "Minor Ionian" isn't a mode of the standard major scale.

TS: Work on the F chord, it's worth the effort. Also try learning some real theory; "The Crusade" series by Josh Urban on this site is a very good place to learn. More than that keep just working on technique, learning licks and songs.

As for incorporating elements from other people's styles into your own the best thing you can do is learn some theory then look at parts of other people's playing that you like and try to see where they're coming from in terms of theory, that way you'll be able to take a single idea from them and translate it into other contexts. This takes a huge amount of practice though so take it slow and always remember the mantra:

Speed is a byproduct of accuracy.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.