Alright so Im thinking about getting a Schecter Hellraiser (you can tell by my sig) And I'm wondering if its that big of a deal to drop an extra $150 on one with Floyd Rose?
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by msuspartan
Alright so Im thinking about getting a Schecter Hellraiser (you can tell by my sig) And I'm wondering if its that big of a deal to drop an extra $150 on one with Floyd Rose?

Well that depends...do you like the sounds of extreme whammy bar drops? Harmonic screams a la Dimebag and Satch? If the answer is yes then of course it's worth the money, but if you don't like those sounds or change tunings a lot then it's probably not worth it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
it depends on style of music but if you like using the whammy bar alot then its definitely worth it. even if its a licensed floyd, i have some licensed and some original and they've each stayed in tune just as good as eachother
it depends on whether or not the music you play needs/ could use a tremolo system that has a huge rage while still being able to stay in tune.

if you don't use a trem/couldn't see yourself using one, or you change tunings a lot, it's probably not worth it. especially as string changing etc is more fiddly with a floyd rose as opposed to a fixed bridge.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Floyd Rose -- Not all its cracked up to be. If you ever change tuning, just DONT. Even then, one of guitarist friends has a guitar with a Floyd 2 and it detuned more frequently than my standard strat, even with only the lightest whammy use.
Also, the lead guitarist in my band has a floyd on his custom Epiphone V (beautiful guitar) but he has to take the damn thing off and tune it almost every practice.
Unless you're a whammy freak, don't waste the time.
However, if you have to deal with the curse of maintaining one of those, you will become quite quick at taking things apart and putting them back together.
Quote by frajfraj

Also, the lead guitarist in my band has a floyd on his custom Epiphone V (beautiful guitar) but he has to take the damn thing off and tune it almost every practice.

That's odd, I NEVER tune mine, once I went a week playing mass amounts of full on whammy squeals, and I think like 2 of my strings were slightly out of tune, no more than 1/4 of a step though.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
ok theres been some good points made but are you taking to accoutn that also with the FR version you get black hardware as opposed to black chrome which just doesnt look as good.
Quote by frajfraj
Floyd Rose -- Not all its cracked up to be. If you ever change tuning, just DONT. Even then, one of guitarist friends has a guitar with a Floyd 2 and it detuned more frequently than my standard strat, even with only the lightest whammy use.

Your friends need to learn to set theirs up properly. I hardly ever need to tune my S470 at all, let alone every practice...

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by frajfraj
However, if you have to deal with the curse of maintaining one of those, you will become quite quick at taking things apart and putting them back together.

the floyd 2 is a lower quality version of the floyd rise, so it'll have worn out. that's why it detunes.

and the other one is either the same thing (low quality, with worn parts) or it's not set up properly.

a correctly setup floyd rose should never go out of tune once the strings are stretched in. that's the whole point of them.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
i have a FR on my rhoads, i think its totally fun and worth having.

but as said before, if your into changing tunings often, its not for you.
My Facebook

MAIN Gear:

Jackson Pro Rhoads

AMP:

Head: Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier BLACK FACE

Cab: Mesa Boogie 4x12 Road King Slant
Floating locking trems are great if you like to play stuff that requires to use it

My biggest gripe with my Ibanez rg1570's bridge is that it can easily stretch to a 2 hour job to restring it; balancing everything and stretching strings etc.
Quote by frajfraj

Floyds are EVERYTHING they're cracked up to be - they give you an insane range of travel, have great tuning stability and a good one will last forever if it's looked after.

Different players have different requirements - nobody in their right mind ever recommends a Floyd for a beginner, or someone who changes tunings a lot because that's not what they're good for.

It's not Floyd Rose's fault that your friends didn't do their research.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you are not sure which you really want, buy one without Floyd Rose. It stays in tune lot better and its much easier and faster to change tuning (Drop-D for example) if you have tune-o-matic bridge. Also palm mute and some other playing techniques are harder with Floyd Rose.

Of course it's fun to play with divebombs and harmonic squeels, but when you use those tricks too often it sounds bad.
My Gear:

-Ibanez SZ 320 (Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz)
-Laney LC 30-II tube combo
-Yamaha C-40
-Suzuki steel string acoustic

+Lots of effect pedals and other crap..
Quote by Dirty Hero
If you are not sure which you really want, buy one without Floyd Rose. It stays in tune lot better and its much easier and faster to change tuning (Drop-D for example) if you have tune-o-matic bridge.

not really, but I'd agree with the rest.

Quote by element4433
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Your friends need to learn to set theirs up properly. I hardly ever need to tune my S470 at all, let alone every practice...

+1, I have a Licensed Floyd and only have to adjust the fine tuners every so often, the only time I unlock the nut is to change strings.
Quote by 666_Pounder
+1, I have a Licensed Floyd and only have to adjust the fine tuners every so often, the only time I unlock the nut is to change strings.

This.
I only ever play in standard anyway, so tuning isn't an issue for me.
But I think we're forgetting the most important thing: pretending to be a motorbike.
Quote by philipisabeast
Floating locking trems are great if you like to play stuff that requires to use it

My biggest gripe with my Ibanez rg1570's bridge is that it can easily stretch to a 2 hour job to restring it; balancing everything and stretching strings etc.

The only tuning I change to is Drop D and OCCASIONALLY Drop C.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by msuspartan

Don't get an FR. FRs only work for people who know the tuning they like and stick to it religiously.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by msuspartan

How does that relate to my only complaint? That being the restringing process; otherwise it's good stuff
Last edited by philipisabeast at Nov 8, 2008,
I like Floyds becuase instead of your playing being limited to the notes that the frets allow (Western notes) you can very easily warp them to the spaces in between and do things with notes that can't be done with bending and pedals alone.

That and squeals are awesome.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by philipisabeast
How does that relate to my only complaint? That being the restringing process; otherwise it's good stuff

Sorry, I wasnt paying attention and I quoted the wrong post. My bad :/
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
my buddy plays a Jackson Dinky w/ floyd rose and he never has trouble with the tuning and he is a huge Dime fan so he uses it a lot. dont really know too much about them but maybe the ones saying the ones that had trouble didnt set it up right are on the money
you guys are all forgetting something very important he has another guitar
if your use to drop d and drop c is very limited you could probable do that on your other guitar and keep the floyed in standard eventually you will get used to changing strings its up to you to deciede if you will use it
my brother has a jakson with one and he says he never would have bought it with a floyed if it wasnt such a steal
it was less then half price new
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!