ok well ive started learning metal and i still cant solo, i can get some wicked riffs but no good solos, i need help, which scales to use, stuff like that i know some technique, but im still working on teqnique, i dont know i just need to know where to start thanks ug
Use pentatonics and learn about 2 or 3 shapes. You should be aiming to be able to shift between these shapes and be able to slide between 4 or 5 notes on the same string. This will enhance your ability to phrase alot.

Try to focus on your phrasing. It's best to try phrase like a singer (think of it as if your singing with your guitar). Good phrasing will lead to awesome solos later. When you start of you should be focusing on when to hit the notes instead of what notes to hit.

After you've got the right technique, start learning theory. Anything and everything will be helpfull (although, I think you should start on the basics).
Pentatonic minor scale, blues (that diminished fifth gives a really dark sound if you linger on it), harmonic minor, natural minor/aeolian mode are the main scales to use.
Where to start?

Learn to play a melody - this is a mixture of note choice, phrasing and embellishment.

Note choice - learn about chords and scales (ie, music theory, see links in my sig)
Phrasing - see link 1 in my sig under "Read me".
Embellishment - Vibrato, slides, bends, etc, adding more flavour to the notes used.
Quote by MrArgo
ok well ive started learning metal and i still cant solo, i can get some wicked riffs but no good solos, i need help, which scales to use, stuff like that i know some technique, but im still working on teqnique, i dont know i just need to know where to start thanks ug

learn a solo or two, ( or three or four..............)

Learn what scales were used in the solo.
get good at the techniques used in the solo by working on the solo.

what you need is some hands-on/ ears-on experience.
shred is gaudy music
try and learn a vocal part on the guitar , the singing parts for many songs are quite simple to the twist is , in time you can bend up to the notes , if you learn a repitoire of vocal parts , your solos will reflect this , like demon of the night was saying in regards to phrasing .
what i mean by a vocal part is copying the melody a singer sings
Definitely need pentatonics, especially in metal. Might i suggest playing Trivium covers as they use alot of mini solo fills etc which will boost your improvising. Learn easy melodic solos aswel then steal ideas and use them as your own.
Quote by AlexC15
Learn easy melodic solos aswel then steal ideas and use them as your own.

Shows you're a Trivium fan
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

even in an extreme metal song, i still like to add memorable melodies in it.

Usually i choose to do a little fast passge for the first part of the solo then slip into a mellow, slower paced but more memorable melody, somethine like making your guitar do the singing.

If your going for all out action, pentatonics would be great. I also love the Phrygian scale and mostly i like to add the flat 5 to them or the flat 2 o.0