If i buy a graphtech pre slotted nut for my strat will i have to cut it any? I use 10 gauge strings if that matters. I'll do it myself if i dont have to cut it, to afraid of messing up.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

I wouldnt say cut, I'd say u might need to sand it back a bit to fit in a bit better. other than that, it should befine
what do you mean sand it back? the bottom or the sides?

Measure your nut now and compare the measurements to the graph tech one.
If you're buying it because you no longer have a nut, measure the space where it would have been.
Quote by gtr_101
what do you mean sand it back? the bottom or the sides?

I dropped one in my MIM strat. The only thing I had to do was sand the bottom, and the back a little to get it to fit snuggly in the slot, and low enough. Sand the bottom to get the height right. And if it is too wide for the nut slot, you can sand the back (other side of the fretboard) until it can just barely snug in.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
I dropped one in a jay turser sg when the cheap plastic one broke on me I put a drop of super glue on the bottom pushed it in and it was perfect I did this of course after checking to make sure it fit good. I find that super glue is fine for nuts as long as you use 1 drop it can still come out easily and is really fast to install.
so you didnt have to sand?

you shouldn't have to, although you may just need to sand the sides or the bottom a little bit so it fits snug.