Hi everyone, I was playing with my band yesterday and was singing into my Shure SM57 microphone when it suddenly stopped working. It had been working just fine, crisp, clear signal, just like any SM57. But as I was singing it just....stopped.

If I crank up the PA amp that I was running it through and tap on the grill of the microphone, I can get a faint tapping sound coming out of the speakers, so I know some connection is being made. But could it still possibly be a broken wire or something?

I have had the mic since summer of 2007. I have always treated it with care. It has never been dropped or suffered any trauma. I use it on a daily basis for singing and micing my snare drum.

Any idea what happened? It was my understanding that SM57's were extremely reliable and durable, but this one seems to have failed for no apparent reason.

I bought it from Guitar Center and I am actually headed out that way today. If I stopped in and showed them the mic, do you think they could do anything for me? I'm sure the mic is probably out of its warranty range.

I just am baffled by this. I have treated the mic so well, it looks great, and always sounded great! But suddenly, it just quit.

Thanks for any help guys! I really need help here! I can't afford to throw away $100 like that.
did you check the xlr cable?
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
use a different cable and plug it into any amp you have nearby and see if it works.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Yeah, I tried using a different microphone through the same cable and amp, and everything worked great.

I'm positive it's a problem with the mic itself.
damn. unscrew the top half of the microphone and see if any of the wires inside are detached or about to detach.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
if I took the mic to Guitar Center, do you think they would be able to do anything for me?

or would they basically tell me I'm screwed?
i doubt they'd know.

if you wiggle the jack in the mic does the sound cut on at all?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011