I've had a few people, and a band or two, approach me recently about recording and mixing their demos for them. Nothing too fancy, just a basic mix and maybe a few effects.

There's a song I did with one guy in my profile. It was done yesterday, in about three hours - two hours of recording, and one hour of mixing. He knew exactly what he was going for. All it's missing is drums, which I've offered to have someone come in and play those.

What I'm wondering is - what's the going rate for a really basic service like this? How does it break down, in terms of recording time, mixing time, and possibly hiring a session player? I've got no real experience in charging for my work, so I don't want to sell myself short.

Thanks, ya'll.
you should do it for free just to get experience, maybe you'll attract more bands that way and then maybe later you can start to take out some cash for your work.

you do need alot of experience I'd say from listening to the song in your profile.
Well, I would just offer this as a first step for you. Get your bands in tune. That is one of the most important things in any song. Your song is hard to listen to because of how off many of the notes are.

That might be more on the band, but it's still up to you to help them with that sort of thing.
IdirtI

I sold my Parker Nitefly, Line 6 POD X3 Live and Crate Powerblock on Ebay. I'm depressed about it, so if I'm grumpy, that's why. = (
By the way Rasker, did you do the song on your profile? If so, you are awesome. If not, how do I get a hold of the record it's on?
IdirtI

I sold my Parker Nitefly, Line 6 POD X3 Live and Crate Powerblock on Ebay. I'm depressed about it, so if I'm grumpy, that's why. = (
Quote by idirti
By the way Rasker, did you do the song on your profile? If so, you are awesome. If not, how do I get a hold of the record it's on?

yes. and no. I myself didn't, the other guys in my band and I did. But it was done by us in a real studio we had at school. it's not on any album, but I do have alot more songs we did. but they're not on the net anymore.

for TS:
it's hard to give you critisism for that track. it's main problem isn't in the mixing, it's in the production. mising that would be polishing a turd.

as my previous poster mentioned, make sure everything is in tune for a start. then make sure you are well aware of where every part goes. lay down the foundation for the track first, this isn't a must but I find it's a good way to start. so in this case the rythm guitar goes first. make sure you get a good take, where everything in in the right pitch and beeing played in the right tempo. get good levels when recording, and work abit on the sound you're getting onto tape (or whatever it is you use), as it will be much easier to work with in mixing.

when you have all the tracks you need, in good quality, you start to mix. there are many ways of going about this. you can start by just listening to one track (often the main thing you want to hear in the song, ie the vocals) and adding tracks onto that. or you can start with everything all the way up and subract from there. or start with the rythm of the song and then add stuff onto it. or do it another way that you feel more comfortable with. there are basicly no rules as long as it sounds good in the end. make sure every track has it's own space in the song. when you feel you got most of it right you can start to add width to the song. pan the tracks out a bit, maybe double a track and hard pan it left and right while doing some different eq'in on them. this is where you really can make things intreresting.

some things to remember:
clipping is forbidden!
make sure you have good stuff to work with before mixing, crap in often leads to crap out.
give each sound, each track or each instrument it's own space.
it's generally a good idea to back things of in a mix instead of adding more, if you feel there needs to be more vocals because the guitars are too strong you back of the guitars instead of adding more vocals.

read up on using equalizers and compressors aswell, there are alot of good things on these things out there.

I feel like I've done a good deed here
How was the song recorded and mixed? I'd agree with whats been said. Just use bands to gain experience from for now. If you get better cash will come later.
The going rate will vary from city to city. Best bet is to ask around.

I run a pretty basic setup, but can record a whole band, live off the floor to ten tracks, with reasonable isolation between the drums and the guitars and the vocals, etc. providing multiple headphone mixes, etc. Sounds fancy, but it is what a lot of musicians who are going to pay are going to expect. I charge $30/hr or $150 for a six-hour day, and I offer a student rate that is cheaper.

Look at who else is out there in your town, and not only what they are charging, but what they are offering.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.