Hi guys.

Cheers to everyone who took part! I am revising the survey to provide more conclusive results.

Thanks again

John
Last edited by johnmurphy at Nov 10, 2008,
I didn't find much difference in the clips besides the amount of 'crunch' in each personally. Interesting experiment though. I filled that shit out to help the cause too.
I find that analogue (tube) overdrive sounds better than chip-generated overdrive, though it's hard to distinguish the two sometimes.
Other effects sound equally good generated with analogue and digital technology to me.

EDIT: Completed the survey of course. I liked track 1 better btw.
track 1 IMO
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I voted for track 2... I preferred the slightly more defined sound.

Would have been nice if you could URL link your myspace page.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I voted 1, less fizzy than the other and slightly warmer too.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thanks to everyone so far!

Quote by ragingkitty
I voted for track 2... I preferred the slightly more defined sound.

Would have been nice if you could URL link your myspace page.

Cheers for the input, I shall correct it.

John Murphy
the problem i had was that like techfire I couldn't really tell a difference since the drive was up more on track 2. But I voted for track 1 because it was warmer.
Opted for track 1, feels more organic. Good luck and let us know the results soon.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Did the survey, liked clip 1 much better. More rounded and more natural sounding. Good luck on your project.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
I voted track 2. It may be digital, but the question was which one I preferred the sound of, right?
Quote by BrickIsRed
I voted track 2. It may be digital, but the question was which one I preferred the sound of, right?

Yes thats correct, thanks a lot!

A MASSIVE thanks to everyone who has taken the survery so far.

The results so far are interesting, and will make for some interesting debate when they are finalized!

John Murphy
I voted for track A. I didn't really like the tone on the lead at the end, but it sounded nice on the chords, and all round better than the 2nd.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Honestly heres my deal, I'm assuming by the sound quality you were using a fender strat to record the tracks(and the hint of a strat being your profile image). Naturally no humbuckers so a little more hiss on clip B. . . as for clip A it sounded like a decent Boutique style distortion with your guitar where as clip B sounded more or less like butt because it seemed more like a High Gain style distortion. . . .
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
I liked the definition of clip B. It wasn't as nice for the chords, but after the lead I came to like it better. Honestly though, you need a better test. Distortion A with singles, then with humbuckers. Distortion B with singles then with humbuckers. Not just singles.
Quote by ljohn
I liked the definition of clip B. It wasn't as nice for the chords, but after the lead I came to like it better. Honestly though, you need a better test. Distortion A with singles, then with humbuckers. Distortion B with singles then with humbuckers. Not just singles.

I am open to ideas to improve it, thanks for the input. I am considering adding more questions and more clips, so all input is welcome!

Cheers, John
It all depends on your recording equipment and my playback equipment. Right now at least the latter is sh*t. I think the difference between digital and analogue is most defined live.
Quote by johnmurphy
I am open to ideas to improve it, thanks for the input. I am considering adding more questions and more clips, so all input is welcome!

Cheers, John

Left you a message.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Thanks to everyone who took the survey, and all who gave feedback.

I am going to analyze the results, and possibly make adjustments. I will post the results in a couple of days time.

Thanks again! John
Along with the "Do you prefer Analogue or Digital?" question, it would be really smart if Clip A was digital and Clip B was analogue, sort of like a trick, in order to expose people's bias. Sort of like that thing they did with Coca-Cola. They had a trick taste test, where they told people "Cup A is Coca-Cola, and Cup B is a cheap non-brand alternative". Most people said they preferred the taste of Cup A. The trick was that, in fact, both cups were Coca-Cola. It displayed the effects of how, marketing, advertising, and brand-recognition can totally alter the reality of any given matter.

It would be smart if your survey was a trick, something like that. "Actually guys, the warm Clip A was digital, and the harsh Clip B was analogue". Would expose a lot.
Clip A was way cooler and more dynamic. Clip B sounded brittle, harsher and overall just more digital imo!
Quote by Martin Scott
Along with the "Do you prefer Analogue or Digital?" question, it would be really smart if Clip A was digital and Clip B was analogue, sort of like a trick, in order to expose people's bias. Sort of like that thing they did with Coca-Cola. They had a trick taste test, where they told people "Cup A is Coca-Cola, and Cup B is a cheap non-brand alternative". Most people said they preferred the taste of Cup A. The trick was that, in fact, both cups were Coca-Cola. It displayed the effects of how, marketing, advertising, and brand-recognition can totally alter the reality of any given matter.

It would be smart if your survey was a trick, something like that. "Actually guys, the warm Clip A was digital, and the harsh Clip B was analogue". Would expose a lot.

Well they are different types of distortion anyways, one is more of a Boutique and the other is more of a high end gain type. . . . so yeah, they kind of already aren't comparable anyways.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris