Hey, I'm trying to get a new guitar, one that is good for mostly metal. I was considering an Ibanez RG5EX1, but is there anything better for cheaper? I'm trying to stay under $375.00, so nothing too pricy. Thanks.
What kind of amp do you have? What guitar do you currently own? What kind of metal do you like to play?
I really don't have a good amp, it's a Marshall MG10CD Combo Amp, but I usually just play through a mixer into a PA system, and I currently own an Epiphone Sg-G400. I like to play things like Protest the Hero, and August Burns Red. I also use a digitech RP150 pedal to play on.
Last edited by guitarisfun256 at Nov 8, 2008,
I'd rather upgrade the amp and the bridge pup on your epi, this will give you far better results. The increase in sound quality you'd get from a new guitar in this price range is minimal.
How big does the amp have to be? Do you need it for home use only or for band rehearsals or for gigging? This one will be loud enough for home and band practice, it'll have to be mic'd for gigs though:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Valvetronix-AD30VT-30w-1x10-Guitar-Combo-Amp-102640802-i1145735.gc
There is also a different version of this called the AD30VTXL, which has a bigger speaker, which gives it a better bass response. Nevertheless, the one I linked to is still a very nice combo. Extremely versatile and each of it's sounds is good.
A cheaper alternative are Roland Cubes, though I find they sound inferior to the Vox, especially clean.

EDIT: If you only need an amp for home use, look at the Ibanez Valbee. It sounds fantastic, but the tiny speaker means that you'll have less bass response than with other amps. And it's not loud enough to play with a band.

As far as pups are concerned, try the amp with your guitar with the stock pups first. These amps are pretty common, most stores stock them, so finding one to try it probably won't be a problem. If you like the sound you won't have to change the pups, if you don't like it, try the amp with a different guitar in the store which has replacement pups like Dimarzios or Duncans. Once you come across a guitar which sounds good with the amp, ask the sales guys what pups it has and order those. Keep in mind that your tone does not only come from amp and pups, but is heavily influenced by your guitar's woods and construction as well, so it will sound a little different in the end. But you'll get an idea of how your guitar will sound like with the new pups.
Personally, I like the Seymour Duncan JB and SH-5 for high gain use, but that's really just a matter of taste.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Nov 8, 2008,
I also forgot to mention, I do have a Peavey TKO 65 Bass amp, but I don't know if that's good enough. And I don't know if you read it, but I also have a mixer and a PA system.
You should probably look into a better amp, like a Vox AD series, Roland Cube, or save up a bit and get a Traynor. Your guitar is quite good.