I believe the 7th of Cmaj is B natural?

b flat is a 7th of c major, but its a minor 7th. b natural is a major seventh
I Won't Let This Build Up Inside Of Me

Quote by FFTLxx

muhat gandy
+Sideways 8

Well thats me set ^^
The 7th of C major is B.

C7 means C DOMINANT 7, not C major 7. Dominant chords have a b7. Major7 chords have a natural 7.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Simply because C7 is not in the C major scale.

Each scale degree has the same chord no matter which note is the root.

the order is-

Maj7
Min7
Min7
Maj7
Min7
M7b5

So in the case of C major, the dominant chord will be G7...

The key that contains C7 is F Major, because C is the 5th degree of that scale.
Quote by branny1982
Simply because C7 is not in the C major scale.

Each scale degree has the same chord no matter which note is the root.

the order is-

Maj7
Min7
Min7
Maj7
Min7
M7b5

So in the case of C major, the dominant chord will be G7...

The key that contains C7 is F Major, because C is the 5th degree of that scale.
Exactly.
Your next area of study might be studying chord construction. Specifically stacking maj and minor 3rds in different ways to get different kinds of triads and 7th chords.
Then learn how to apply this to scales to see what kind of diatonic chords different scales use.

EDIT:
Focus on chord spelling. e.g. C7 would be 1 3 5 b7. These numbers relate directly to the major scale which is 1 2 3 4 5 6 7.
so to create a dominant seven which is what C7 is, we take the 1 3 5 from the major scale of the chord we are creating ( in this case C) then add the 7th lowered one semitone (b7).
Thus we see that C scale is C D E F G A B and when constructing a C7 (1 3 5 b7) we have to lower the 7 by a semitone to get C E G Bb.
Cmaj7 is a different 7 chord it is made with 1 3 5 7. So using the C major scale to fill in the numbers with pitch values we get Cmaj7 = C E G B.

Like I said you might find chord construction, learning how to spell them and how to harmonize the major scale usefull topics of study at this point.

Good Luck
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Nov 8, 2008,