My guitarist and I are looking for a good set of drums mics to set up a little home recording studio in his basement. We came across these

http://www.guitarcenter.com/CAD-PRO-7-7-Piece-Drum-Microphone-Pack-102796992-i1126745.gc

The reviews are good... but you can't really trust those. So do any of you have any experience with those and would they be good for recording drums in a home studio?

edit: we will be using the Presonus Firepod and Cubase LE
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Last edited by Vandals572 at Nov 8, 2008,
no, never even heard of the company and I doubt a whole set of mics for $200 would sound that great.

Could you stretch your budget any further? If so, I'd just get some Shure SM57's, a pair of decent overheads (Rode NT5 or AKG C1000s) and then a shure beta 52a for the kick drum.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
If you do your research on drum mic's you'll see that you can buy excellent quality cheaper alternatives to large brand mic models.

I've read countless articles on the subject. And it appears the only thing missing from some well made cheaper versions of more expensive brand models, is say the particular sound characteristics of the given mic model.

In other words some great cheap mics out there will match the performance of AKG models or Sure models, have the same build quality and have the same frequency response blah blah blah, but they wont faithfully reproduce the big brand mic's sound profile which is very important to some people who go out of their way to use particular mic's for particular sounds.

Some people will want an SM57 specifically because they are looking for that special SM57 sound on what ever it is they are micing up, ie a snare.

Me personally, couldn't give a toss about that sort of use and will opt for most economical mic that provides affordable, good quality for the particular job its needed for.

I'd recommend Behringer mic's particularly. I'm sure there are other brands out there at affordable prices but yet offer a good degree of quality.

You also have to be aware of opinion in reviews (lthis is my opinion for example). There are a hell of a lot of snobs out there who will not even accept that a cheaper alternative could offer the same quality. This may have been the case 20 years ago, but not so much these days's.

As for the unheard of brand you speak about, I have no experience with or know anything about. I know you can get good samson drum mics in a kit for about the same price.

I have a Tom set from Samson and a kick mic from Samson and they are really good!! They also have been good for micing bass and guitar cabs.
NEW WAVE OF BRITSH HEAVY METAL!!!!
Ok thanks for the info Gerry. I'll look into those.

edit: was this the kit you were talking about?

http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_7KIT%20Drum%20Microphone%20Package_-1_10052_10002_-49992646_cmCategorySA182737
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
Last edited by Vandals572 at Nov 12, 2008,
CAD mics are decent enough. The price is right too.

I have used (and in some instances still use) Behringer mics. While it is true that the quality of more affordable mics (like the Behringers) can be surprisingly good, you can not realistically expect a $50 mic to sound like a $500 mic. I find the 'Behringer rule' to be in the ballpark of "take the price of the Behringer mic and multiply it by about 2.5 and you will get the quality of the next comparable mic."

So, a $150 Behringer mic will compare with about a $350 or so mic from another manufacturer. Not more than that, though. I mean, there is a reason why people spend the money they do on expensive gear. To a small degree, there is validity in the 'brand name snobbery' allegation, but there is a reason why people love their U87's and TLM103's and RE20's, etc.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
...also.... don't post a question and be surprised if nobody has answered it only seven minutes later.... That happens in the pit, but not in the forums where the knowledge required to answer tends to be a bit more specific.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

You might wanna look for ardax microphone modeling WAREZ! (it's discontinued)
It can make your microphones sound so much better so thee $200 set and the mic mideling
Axeman, thanks for the info but i waited 4 days (and seven minutes) then bumped it, not just seven minutes.
Quote by alkalineweeman

mah hardcore band
Last edited by Vandals572 at Nov 13, 2008,
^I take it you know what your talking about since your a sound engineer?
Quote by alkalineweeman

mah hardcore band
@vandals.... ah... sorry, then. ops

@llanafreak44 - Just curious what you base your 'terrible' assessment on. Sure, there are better mics out there, and compared to what a pro studio might offer, they just might fit that criteria for 'terrible.' You didn't really elaborate on why you think so.

FWIW, my own assessment is based on what a pro engineer told me when I was looking at that brand name for recording basic demos. I have no experience with them myself.

Oh, and I guess I'm a sound engineer now too...

CT

Last edited by axemanchris at Nov 13, 2008,
Quote by Vandals572
^I take it you know what your talking about since your a sound engineer?

You could call me that. I've been into recording 2 years now, and everyday I do nothing but research. Are you good at recording? If you are very experienced, you could get a decent usable sound out of these. Assuming you aren't, it's going to take a lot of practice to actually learn the techniques involved in micing a drum set and mixing them well.

@ other person, the reason they aren't good mics is because they're cheap Chinese mics, which equals noise and bad frequency response and very sterile sounding. Not all Chinese mics are this, but seven mic's for two hundred? That's about 45$ a mic. Cheap transformers and parts = a not very good sound.

I see you have a firepod, good choice. If I were you, I would go for just a bunch of Shure SM57's. You could easily get a good drum sound with 4 of them. Get 'em used or look up the ES-57(nearly a carbon copy for cheaper). Not only will it get you good drums, but good guitar sound, decent bass sound assuming you don't go D.I., and a very decent vocal sound too.
Last edited by llanafreak44 at Nov 13, 2008,
So your assessment of 'terrible' for these mics is based entirely on price and place of manufacture, then?

Not based on any actual knowledge of the mics? The guy who told me they were decent enough for basic demos was an engineer who worked with bands who did gold records. I have a tendency to trust him.

Can you get better? Of course... by miles. But I don't think your scathing assessment is terribly justified.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
So your assessment of 'terrible' for these mics is based entirely on price and place of manufacture, then?

Not based on any actual knowledge of the mics? The guy who told me they were decent enough for basic demos was an engineer who worked with bands who did gold records. I have a tendency to trust him.

Can you get better? Of course... by miles. But I don't think your scathing assessment is terribly justified.

CT

I've heard a demo of those mics around here somewhere, I'll see if i can find it. I remember being very unimpressed.
Yes it would be difficult to learn how to get the best outta cheaper mics for a beginner, but practice makes perfect. I'm not a sound engineer but I've busted my face of learning how to manipulate sound over the last few years. Learning drum mic technique required a lot of research.

The basics are only rules to follow at the end of the day and when you get to a kit, you might have to do crazy off the wall things to achieve the sound your after.

Then again pointing a snare mic at the centre at 40degrees, 1inch inside the rim and 2inches above the head might get you what your after!

I learn everytime I have to record, snares are hardest to get right I find. Anyone got good affordable snare mic examples for me? I'm interested in getting a new mic dedicated to snare.

SM58'S in my experience are horrible for vocals, brittle and dull, so I've never used one of those on a snare.

llanafreak44 What are ES-57 like? I'm curious. I was gonna take a look at Samson Qsnare for this application. These are good for guitar also?
@llanafreak - added 10 credibility points. I would be interested in hearing that and reading what the methodology was. As I say, I've not heard them myself. I'd like to hear what they sound like, so long as they were used right.

@gerry - SM57's are used on snare all over the world in pro studios. It might not be the be-all and end-all of all snare sounds on all snare drums in all rooms, but it is a very reliable and affordable place to start.

And I agree that you will get better results with cheap gear and a lot of knowledge and experience than you will with high end gear and no clue. The best results will be the best of both.

CT

May be I'll get an SM57 then.

I am short of cash though so I might have to wait a while.

axemanchris said:
And I agree that you will get better results with cheap gear and a lot of knowledge and experience than you will with high end gear and no clue. The best results will be the best of both.

If only everyone had that attitude, too many snobs about with more money than me (and sense) who just will never accept that price tags are not the be all and end all.

I'm forever being told by people that I need to buy this, or I need to buy that cause everything else is shi_t!! Yeah what ever
Compare it to guitar rigs. Vai or Nuno could take a $100 guitar and sound like 10x the player than a rookie with a Les Paul and a Mesa Boogie. Similarly, Mutt Lange could make a better recording in my studio than I could in his.... though the difference in gear is probably nothing short of embarrassing.

However.... you will get to a point where budget gear will limit your results. Give a good, serious intermediate player/recorder some great tools, and that person will flourish with that level of help.

I have one mic that I paid over $350 for. All the others have been $200 or less. I have a couple of Behringer ECM8000's that I use for drum overheads that cost me about $60 each. Very cheap.... but decent for what they are.

CT