Hi!

Im trying to write some songs at the moment and need some tips on a few things. Ive got loads of ideas and do actually know a fair bit of theory, but i just need help bringing it all together.

Firstly, i'd like to make use of switching from a minor progression to its relative major to give a sort of sad and then uplifting mood. Im having problems doing this though. Ive heard it being done im countless songs but i can't get the two parts to flow into eachother. I tried playing an A harmonic minor progression i thought up, and then changing into a C major progression for the chorus, and it just sounds like im playing two completely different songs. I need them to sort of merge into eachother. How do i do this?

Also, if i was playing a C major progression, which minor would be the relative minor? The harmonic, natural, melodic or does it not matter?
Are You Shpongled..?
I can't answer your first question really, maybe you should ask for some songs that use major - minor modulation.
As for which minor to use, natural minor seems to be used most often; harmonic is used so a Major V chord can be used in a minor key (the 7th note in the scale is the 3rd note of the V chord, making the 3rd major rather than minor).
Melodic Minor is used to that the jarring interval between the 6th and 7th is fixed; although you may like this sound
Call me Batman.
Use G Maj to change from Am to C. Or just go straight to C off of Am.

What chord progression are you using at the moment?
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
If you keep a lead guitar line going on A minor pentatonic while you change to C major, it should sound very smooth.

Don't try and change too many things at once - changing tempo at the same time, for example, will make the change too dramatic, and not in a good way.
Yeah can't u switch from Am to CM by like picking a C then an A?

I was told that once
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!