Used ENGL Fireball (700 euro) with a also used ENGL 212 cab (V30's, 300 euro)

or

New ENGL Screamer Combo ?

Did some research last few months and im gnna buy one of these 2.
But I just cant decide...
They both share 1 EQ but the Fireball also shares 1 Gain pot.
Screamer has Reverb (I dont even know what it is )
Screamer is more a allround amp and Fireball is pure metal.

And is the Fireball still capable of bedroom levels? (60 watts with 212 cab)

I mainly play metal. I also play some jazz and other stuff but not often.

Maybe you guys could help me out cuz im kinda stuck
You're buying a high-end tube amp and you don't even know what reverb is?

Anyway, I say go for the Fireball. If you ever need a less gain-y crunch like the Screamer can provide then you can always get a Tube Screamer or something. The Fireball is simply a pro metal amp.

I may be a little biased because it's the amp of choice of my #1 guitar hero Michael Romeo though.
Quote by Arbitror
You're buying a high-end tube amp and you don't even know what reverb is?

Anyway, I say go for the Fireball. If you ever need a less gain-y crunch like the Screamer can provide then you can always get a Tube Screamer or something. The Fireball is simply a pro metal amp.

Well, do YOU know what reverb is then?

And ye your right about the tube screamer.
Reverb is a delay-based effect designed to simulate the acoustics of a room. It's popular for bedrooms, recording studios, small venues, outdoor events, or venues with lots of sound dampening installed into the walls where the lack of natural reverb from the venue itself can make the guitar sound a little thin and sterile.

Fireball is more popular. I'd much rather have a Screamer head with a 4x12 cab than the combo. Why would you want to reduce all that power to a 1x12?
Quote by FlyingBeerman

Fireball is more popular. I'd much rather have a Screamer head with a 4x12 cab than the combo. Why would you want to reduce all that power to a 1x12?

Well, Im not so thrilled about buying used stuff from people i dont know and ive got like 1000 euro to spend. the 4x12 cab is way to loud for me i think (and to expensive) because just play in my bedroom now (planning to go in a band or something). So the combo should be loud enough for me. I really wanna buy that Fireball now but its my first amp and i never bought something from people on for example Ebay so i gtta figure out how that works in the first place haha.
Dont know if the right tubes are in it etc. etc. and i dont know if they lie xD
I much rather buy it from a music store but then it just gets to expensive for me..
Firstly the screamer has as much gain as you could ever ask for, just because a head had the word ZOMG FIRE in it it's wrong to assume no other amp by that brand is high gain.

If i was you I'd either
save up more money and get a ENGL powerball, IMO better tones, check the tones this guy gets

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6jvd9rWXzCY

2. Depending on if you have a car or not, get the head, if not get an ENGL screamer combo.

Check this for ENGL Screamer tones

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=y4sF7ZK4W1A&feature=related

Reverb is a hard thing to describe, best way to describe it is to saying that it leaves a subtle undertone under your original tone which sounds as if you are playing in a large room with sound bouncing off the walls
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Last edited by sharpant at Nov 8, 2008,
The thing with the screamer is that it is such a great all round amp, it doesnt suffer at all from lacking an extra speaker. The other guitarist in the band has a screamer head and a 2x12 with emience legends in, and if anything the combo sounds better. It also sounds good at low volumes

There is also a lot of gain on tap on the screamer, i was also doubtfull before bying mine but hot damn its got some bru4t0lz to be heard, its crisp aswell, no fuzziness.

As for the fireball with the 2x12 again lots of gain at you disposal but it may be a bit to loud for bedroom playing.

cheers.
jackson rr3 trans red
washburn x50profe trans black
ibanez sz320ex
jackson js1
crafter 20th

ENGL screamer 50 combo

boss sd-1
maxon od-808
boss ns-2
boss tu-2
ENGL z-5 footswitch
Quote by sharpant
Firstly the screamer has as much gain as you could ever ask for, just because a head had the word ZOMG FIRE in it it's wrong to assume no other amp by that brand is high gain.

If i was you I'd either
save up more money and get a ENGL powerball, IMO better tones, check the tones this guy gets

I think all ENGL amps or the most of them are high gain..

And the Powerball is 100 watt and thats just to loud for me atm but yes i had in mind to save up for that1 to. But then i will go on and on cuz when i have the money for Powerball then I have another amount of amps where i can look at in that price range... or someone says: ,,Save up some more and u can get the ENGL Savage!!"
And then it starts over again

But 100 watts is just to loud for me atm, ill buy a 100/120 watt head in the future. Now im just practicing and need a new amp

Thanks for your opinion!
Then the Screamer is perfect for you
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by sharpant

+1 dude
jackson rr3 trans red
ibanez sz320ex
jackson js1
crafter 20th

ENGL screamer 50 combo

boss sd-1
maxon od-808
boss ns-2
boss tu-2
ENGL z-5 footswitch
Quote by sharpant

Uhm.. the Fireball is 60 watts and the Screamer 50 watts..
The Powerball is 100 watts so im not gnna buy that1..
And 10 watts isnt that much of a difference is it?
Also Im leaning more towards the Fireball cuz then i get a 212 cab to. So then I already have a cab so i wont need to buy a new one in the future if i buy a new head...
Yes i know it sounds cheap but im young and i dont get money fast..
Yes I have a job but im lazy. xD

But on the other hand i hear many people put the gain on 9 o'clock on the Fireball so they have okay cleans and enough gain for the 'lead' channel. And 9 o'clock is almost no gain on a average amp (correct me if im wrong). So maybe the Screamer has enough gain for me?

Btw Ive only been playing guitar for like 1 year and a few months..
Last edited by Gryphon999 at Nov 8, 2008,
The screamer has about 4 tonne of gain, theres just so much on tap. When you switch to the clean channel you can leave everything where it is (settings wise) and have a really warm clean tone, then if you couple that with a neck pickup its just amazing.
jackson rr3 trans red
ibanez sz320ex
jackson js1
crafter 20th

ENGL screamer 50 combo

boss sd-1
maxon od-808
boss ns-2
boss tu-2
ENGL z-5 footswitch
Quote by Gryphon999
Also Im leaning more towards the Fireball cuz then i get a 212 cab to. So then I already have a cab so i wont need to buy a new one in the future if i buy a new head...

But on the other hand i hear many people put the gain on 9 o'clock on the Fireball so they have okay cleans and enough gain for the 'lead' channel. And 9 o'clock is almost no gain on a average amp (correct me if im wrong). So maybe the Screamer has enough gain for me?

Isnt the Fireball+ a 2x12cab exactly the same price as a Screamer Combo + a 2x12 cab? It is for me here in sweden atleast

i use the gain at 5-6 out of 10 when i play metal on my screamer

But you should go to a store and try them both out before you buy something that cost this much money
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

Quote by Jaekae
Isnt the Fireball+ a 2x12cab exactly the same price as a Screamer Combo + a 2x12 cab? It is for me here in sweden atleast

i use the gain at 5-6 out of 10 when i play metal on my screamer

But you should go to a store and try them both out before you buy something that cost this much money

Your absolutely right x2

Gnna try em both and buy what i like. ty
yeah, try them both... i think you've got it right in your first post, the screamer is more the all-round amp, while the fireball has nice cleans, and modern high gain, but nothing really in-between... if you're only playing modern metal, the fireball is probably better, if you play a range of stuff, the screamer is probably better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
maaaaaaaaaaaaaan i want the screamer so bad
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by Gryphon999

100 watts is only very slightly louder than 50 watts.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, try them both... i think you've got it right in your first post, the screamer is more the all-round amp, while the fireball has nice cleans, and modern high gain, but nothing really in-between... if you're only playing modern metal, the fireball is probably better, if you play a range of stuff, the screamer is probably better.

+1 what this man said. i've got the Fireball and for bedroom volumes for me is around the 7 o clock value with the gain at about 12 o clock. the problem that i have in my fireball is that a) it needs a retube and b) the shared gain knob ain't the best of all idea's and i would of settled with the Blackmore. the gain on it is fantastic and i've rarely needed to turn it up more than 1 o clock for distortion but with my gain at 12 o clock the cleans suffer so then i would need to back the gain down a bit and then the distortion just doesn't have the punch to it and it's just trial and error.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
100 watts is only very slightly louder than 50 watts.

+1
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
yup it's a 3 dB change after doing the 10 log I/I naught and you're doubling I and yeah damn physics
Quote by azn_guitarist25
+1 what this man said. .

cheers phil, nice to see you around here a bit again.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by azn_guitarist25
yup it's a 3 dB change after doing the 10 log I/I naught and you're doubling I and yeah damn physics

How can i calculate dB's anyways? or cant you calculate em??

Btw I saw those pics of ur fireball, did u really buy it for 2500 AUD?! because here i can get a used one for 1300 AUD ^^
Quote by Gryphon999
How can i calculate dB's anyways? or cant you calculate em??

Btw I saw those pics of ur fireball, did u really buy it for 2500 AUD?! because here i can get a used one for 1300 AUD ^^

oh it's easy to calculate dB you just need to know your sound intensity level and then you have everything you need. though it's easier just to use a sound level meter

haha yeah australia pay a bit more for everything and our recent market crappiness hasn't gone quite so well and we were losing badly compared to our fellow markets. but no i got it for a total of $1750 shipped or around there
I hate to be the voice of reason, but it sounds to me like you should buy a cheap practice amp and invest your money. Put it in a nice savings account, get a good return and in a few years when you are ready for a nice amp you can buy one then. By then, you'll know what you want, you'll know what reverb is, you'll get something really nice and you'll be a much wiser investor thus more prepared for the future.
My Gear:
'05 ESP LTD EC-400
'67 Gibson ES-120T (Original)
'05 Vox AD30VT
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb Black Face (Original)
that's also be a good idea.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
true true but 1 thing... then iget a practice amp thats not so good and throw away money while i wnna have a good amp ^^ and ive been saving up years and years, never gave out much...
Guitars
Jackson SL3MG
Ibanez RGR321EX
Kramer 120
Bass
Epiphone Embassy Standard V
Amp
Engl Ritchie Blackmore Signature
Pick
Jim Dunlop Max Grip Carbon Jazz III
Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
yeah. i just meant it was worth considering- certainly if you've been saving for ages for this, you might as well.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Eh, the more I think about it you'd probably be OK with a Screamer Combo. Don't let you me talk you out of it, it really is a great amp.
My Gear:
'05 ESP LTD EC-400
'67 Gibson ES-120T (Original)
'05 Vox AD30VT
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb Black Face (Original)
Last edited by Dalroth at Nov 11, 2008,