Punk
9 9%
Classic Rock
29 31%
Metal
57 60%
Voters: 95.
Page 1 of 2
ok hi fellow ug'ers whats up ive been pondering this for awhile im 14 and i dont know what kind of music i should play i listen to everything from wes Montgomery to Alexi liaho and everything in between the styles im wondering are metal punk and classic rock

metal: i like playing heavy really heavy but it gets really old.

punk: way to easy and it doesent seem like theres much to learn

Classic Rock:seems like it would be a bit outdated to play this but im not sure, all my guitar friends would say i suck if i went with this one
play everything, dont limit yourself

I've gone from playing polkas to james brown to metallica in the same evening....on acoustic

edit:
Quote by SGibson666
Bluegrass is the best choice.

+1
All of them, don't limit yourself to one.

I think start with metal though, just to get your speed up..

^oh.. icwutoyudidthar
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by SGibson666
Bluegrass is the best choice.

This!

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
why limit yourself to only 1 genre, i play all sorts of genres, enven ones i don't listen to

Quote by DieGarbageMan
When having sex i realise my penis is of small nature.

Quote by gavz_verdikt
There is a box below Private Messages and right of Log Out.
I think the TS will know what to do next

Quote by floppypick
All of them, don't limit yourself to one.

This.

Try something new at least every week.
Quote by MrArgo

Classic Rock:seems like it would be a bit outdated to play this but im not sure, all my guitar friends would say i suck if i went with this one

Yea...umm....grow up.
Try and play some Inuit throat singing....on guitar.
Sig space available, give me some praise
Quote by MrArgo
ok hi fellow ug'ers whats up ive been pondering this for awhile im 14 and i dont know what kind of music i should play i listen to everything from wes Montgomery to Alexi liaho and everything in between the styles im wondering are metal punk and classic rock

metal: i like playing heavy really heavy but it gets really old.

punk: way to easy and it doesent seem like theres much to learn

your friends suck, dig into classic rock.. tons of great fun music to play with a different feel

I dont play just one genre, i've written in pretty much all the popular genres, even country
Classic rock isn't a genre. And don't limit yourself to one genre, play whatever comes naturally, otherwise it sounds forced.
Quote by Chris.Rock.Art
Play all of them.

+ a lot... just play everything it's not like you have to stick to one style
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
Metal!!!

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by ross1234
Try and play some Inuit throat singing....on guitar.

+1

Don't limit yourself to any one genre. Play whatever you want, and even some stuff you don't want. It helps you become more creative. Play classic rock if you want, you're not playing guitar simply to please your friends. Now go have some fun!
"He can dance if he wants too, he can leave his friends behind..."

Quote by Tsucchi
Because nothing is sexier than a man with a mouth full of crayons.
Quote by maniac111
Classic rock isn't a genre. And don't limit yourself to one genre, play whatever comes naturally, otherwise it sounds forced.

Guns n' Roses
AC/DC
Queen
etc...

Its just a collection of 1970-1980's bands really, which defines the 'classic' part of it.
Personally I love Classic Rock.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Wait...are you asking what to play as in what you might enjoy playing or what to play to improve your technique???

If the former, then that's a retarded question and you have to find your own voice. Listen to bands you like, then listen to bands that influenced them and the whole genre and such and such.

If the latter, then Jason Becker for technique and jazz for theory.
Quote by chimneyfish
"death-metal is the best when its in the shape of a dildo and shoved in my ass"

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
I would say classic rock with some sort of original twist, don't just pick a genre and blend into it. If I were to be in a band seriously full time I would play a modern/classic rock style kind of like Zakk Wylde's early acoustic stuff, but that's just because I want to play music I like and also music that will bring me a pretty good living and will also be fairly popular.
Play all three and then some, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks, play whatever you want!!!
"The Good Thing About Music Is, When It Hits You, You Feel No Pain" - Bob Marley
"When the power of Love over comes the love of power the world wil know peace" - Jimi Hendrix

::type

Quote by Chrisiphone
Guns n' Roses
AC/DC
Queen
etc...

Its just a collection of 1970-1980's bands really, which defines the 'classic' part of it.
Personally I love Classic Rock.

GnR is classic rock?
When I think classic rock I think more Led Z., Deep Purple, Dire Straits n' Chuck Berry.
Play all of them, you don't need one style.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Do whichever you feel like.

I'm lucky to be in 2 bands at the moment, one is a progressive metal band (I'm the drummer) and the other is a jam/funk/jazz/blues band (I'm the drummer). It's awesome to have the variation of playing something technically difficult one day and then the next be improvising, having fun, making stuff up...

I couldn't play just one genre.

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.
Doesn't really matter. Play whatever you want. My main band plays classic rock(originals) and my other side band plays punk, and if another group of guys were to come along and start a metal band, I'd do that too. I also play in a blues jam group every Thursday. So really, whatever makes you happy.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
classic rock.. it has some awesome riffs.. and is what todays rock is based on. You can't beat a bit of Jimmy page soloing over an awesome riff.

tbh though mate, i think you should play a bunch of different styles, and mix them, so then you can, if u make a band, make a new sound. I like the sound of blues metal.. i was playing around today with trying to get an awesome mix of the two.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by Mr. La Fritz
Do whichever you feel like.

I'm lucky to be in 2 bands at the moment, one is a progressive metal band (I'm the drummer) and the other is a jam/funk/jazz/blues band (I'm the drummer). It's awesome to have the variation of playing something technically difficult one day and then the next be improvising, having fun, making stuff up...

I couldn't play just one genre.

this is the same for guitar.. playing serious metal.. shredding is fun.

then improvising with a group of mates.. everyone playing off eachothers creativity.. I miss GCSE music, ah the good ole days of pretending to compose, and just jamming with my mate in the cupboard.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by Graveworm
Yeah, only 3 genres in the world.

My god TS is an idiot.

He wasnt asking which genre to play in the general sense. He was asking what we thought would be best out of those three.

My god.
Quote by ctb
This.

Try something new at least every week.

Exactly! I'll be playing endless amounts of Megadeth for one week, then i'll squeez in some funk stuff, then I'll play some classic rock, then I'll whip out the acoustic, then i'll go back to megadeth. Not only does it push you to heighten and keep your skills conditioned all around, but it kinda makes things more fun, instead of having to play the same genre all the time and hearing the same old stuff.
the fact that you want other people to choose what music you play shows you are not ready to play guitar
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by MrArgo

so if playing Classic Rock means you suck then i guess Jimmy Page and David Gilmour suck. YOUR FRIENDS ARE STUPID
Page 1 of 2