after some planning and help from SYK on a diagram, i finished my wiring yesterday and the end result is exactly what i imagined it as.

pics --> http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/mikeyElite/pictures/gear/404334/

it has a duncan sh-2n in the neck and an emg 81 in the bridge, pickups are selected by an on/on dpdt mini toggle and the volume only controls the bridge pup so when its all the way off the toggle acts as a killswitch as well.

the 81 is obviously brutal under distortion but pretty quacky when clean, but thats where the sh-2n shines the most. it has one of the sweetest clean tones i've ever heard. i've had the duncan in my guitar for a while and never really cared for it but it seems like now that there's no tone or volume pot in its way it's brought a whole new life into the pickup. now it sounds less restricted and compacted and more open and free.

mixing an active and a passive was a pretty good wiring experience and produced pretty stellar results IMO.

if any one's interested in the diagram i used i'd be happy to send it to you
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Had to be a pain in the ass.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Quote by Øttər
Good job man, sounds boss.

thanks, it is pretty awesome. it's like the best of both worlds, sparkling cleans and brutal distortion.
That is basically what I look for in a guitar, some massive versatility.

You know what you should do man?

Coil Tap that SH2.

Then you have:

Sweet cleans
br00talz distortion
Single coil smoothness/single coil distortion

And, what more do you really want?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
That is basically what I look for in a guitar, some massive versatility.

You know what you should do man?

Coil Tap that SH2.

Then you have:

Sweet cleans
br00talz distortion
Single coil smoothness/single coil distortion

And, what more do you really want?

good idea, that'll probably be my next move whenever i can get my hands on another dpdt, just spent my last 7 bucks on that one
Quote by maverick_137
since the emg's have a terrible freq peak do you mix the two under distortion

there's no way of mixing them. with the way i have it set up its either neck on or bridge on.
Quote by mikeyElite
good idea, that'll probably be my next move whenever i can get my hands on another dpdt, just spent my last 7 bucks on that one

Push Pull pot?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
Push Pull pot?

i originally had a push/pull pot but it was too hard to quickly engage/disengage so i went for the mini toggle instead, much more convenient.
How does mixing an Active and a Passive together sound? I was trying to help a guy out once with a wiring diagram for an active and a passive pickup but everyone was against it...
Quote by guitarcam123
How does mixing an Active and a Passive together sound? I was trying to help a guy out once with a wiring diagram for an active and a passive pickup but everyone was against it...

are you talking about blending them in the middle position or just having them in the same guitar ?