View poll results: Which guitar?
Special X
2 13%
ST
10 67%
Eagle
3 20%
Voters: 15.
It's basically the same as the other thread, but with the Eagle added. I couldn't find a way to edit the poll, so I had to make another thread.
Also, I forgot to mention, is that a killswitch on the Special X? That could come in handy.
there should be a other option
start another thread..
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Nah, the Special X has no killswitch.

If you think you'll use the Floyd, then get the ST over the Special X - both are pretty classy. I don't know anything about the Eagle, though.
Quote by Flying Couch
Nah, the Special X has no killswitch.

If you think you'll use the Floyd, then get the ST over the Special X - both are pretty classy. I don't know anything about the Eagle, though.

If there's no killswitch, what is that switch for? I don't get it...

EDIT: To whoever asked about an "other" option, if there was one it would be a J5 Tele. The only problem is, it looks horrible, haha.
Last edited by i_don't_know at Nov 8, 2008,
Quote by i_don't_know

That's just the pickup selector, dude.
Quote by i_don't_know

Coil tap. Makes the 'buckers sound single coil.
Edit:
As for the guitars, they're really different.
The ST will give you a more "metal" sound and playing experience.
The Special X will have a more classic rock/hard rock sound.
The Eagle will be more for blues rock or classic rock, I'll wager.

Try them out and see which ones you like the feel of the best. Make sure the locking trem on the ST doesn't thin out the tone too much.
Last edited by Rock Pig at Nov 8, 2008,
Quote by Rock Pig
Coil tap. Makes the 'buckers sound single coil.

Special X doesn't do coil-tapping.
Quote by Flying Couch
Special X doesn't do coil-tapping.

I'm talking about the ST.

edit: oh, I see.
Would a J5 Tele be better? I'm going to be playing a lot of Muse, and some Dino Jr., RATM, and then some random stuff. Mostly Muse and Muse-like stuff, though. Not a whole lot of metal besides RATM. And I don't have $6000 for a custom Manson.

The reason I like the Mockingbird is because it can get that "crunchy yet smooth" sound that the Manson M1D1 has, but can also get a ton of other rock-centric sounds. Unfortunately, as you guys told me, there's no killswitch. The J5, on the other hand, can also get that sound, and it has a killswitch. The only problems are the looks and the fact that the other sounds it can get, while still nice and versatile, are more of the "Tele sound" (can't really describe that one any better), which isn't exactly what I'm looking for.
Last edited by i_don't_know at Nov 8, 2008,
Quote by i_don't_know
Would a J5 Tele be better? I'm going to be playing a lot of Muse, and some Dino Jr., RATM, and then some random stuff. Mostly Muse and Muse-like stuff, though. Not a whole lot of metal besides RATM. And I don't have $6000 for a custom Manson.

Both Muse and RATM get pretty fuzzy, and I haven't heard any but I would guess by their "alternative" label that Dino Jr. get pretty fuzzed up as well. Tone won't matter much then. Get something with good playability and buy a Fuzz Face :p

That aside, for your genre, just get what you like the look of best. I'd personally have the ST for all its versatility, I'd never get the J5 for the artist association and that it's UGLY. The Eagle and the Special X are just, meh.
Quote by i_don't_know
Why is the Special X meh?

Special X
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn_MmTZtBVA

ST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p9dySUZe60

Sounds about the same to me. The only difference I can spot is different pickups (which don't seem to be making that big of a difference) and Floyd Rose.

The differences in tone won't be picked up on a computer; too subtle, unless you have decent speakers. A computer can just about tell the difference between a humbucker sized P-90 and a humbucker, y'know?
But how is the Special X meh? I want something that will stay in tune. Isn't Floyd Rose bad for that sort of thing?
Quote by i_don't_know
But how is the Special X meh? I want something that will stay in tune. Isn't Floyd Rose bad for that sort of thing?

Hello, quite the opposite. The whole point is that they stay in tune no matter how many whammy acrobatics you perform.
Quote by i_don't_know
...And if I don't care for a whammy bar?

Then don't get an FR. They thin out your tone and are inconvenient, but some, like myself, can bear that because it lets us wail all over the place.
I wouldn't call the Special X worse, just designed for another purpose than the ST. The Special X is BC Rich's version of a Les Paul. Similar thickness and has the whole 1/2 maple cap thing going on. Also has 2 Vol, and 2 Tone and the pickup selector up top like the Les Paul. The ST only has maple veneer, the Special X actually has a cap on it. Thats why they cost about the same even though the ST has all the extra hardware.
The B-52 Bombers Group!
Own a B-52 amp? Join the club!

Quote by nashawa
He may be a troll, but he's an incredibly successful troll. So kudos on that.
I'd go for a regular Special in white myself.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)