im new to guitar customizeing and was wondering what the differnce was
fight the power... with peace

Originally Posted by Cockpuncher 2.0
Fail town, population you

When God said "Let there be light", Joey Jordison said "Say please".

Man is a universe within himself
Bob Marley
Pox!
Active pickups have an onboard preamp that allows for tone shaping and more gain.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Active pickups require a 9volt battery. They have a much higher output than passive. They're used in heavier styles of music, but most certainly are not required. They're not very pleasing for cleans.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
thanks
also i understand one type uses batterise
whats the deal there
edit:already answered

Bob Marley
Pox!
Last edited by stratsrule1990 at Nov 8, 2008,
right now im looking at the dimarzio air zone and the dimarzio dp153 fred and cant find anywhere if they're passive or active

Bob Marley
Pox!
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
Active pickups require a 9volt battery. They have a much higher output than passive. They're used in heavier styles of music, but most certainly are not required. They're not very pleasing for cleans.

i have EMG-SA's in my Strat and the cleans are epic
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
If a pickup is active, it will state it QUITE clearly on the product description. Usually, it'll have a black cover over it too, but this varies. Mainly, actives are either EMGs or Duncan Blackouts. Dimarzio, surprisingly, don't do any active models.

Ignore that guy with the Strat; active cleans generally suck.
The advantages of actives are noiselessness, note articulation and monster gain.
The advantages of passives are punchy tone, versatility, range of different options, and general better-ness, although that's just my and every other non-metallers opinion.
Quote by Rock Pig
Ignore that guy with the Strat
rude and pretentious.

just don't, please.

Quote by Rock Pig
active cleans generally suck.
in the hands of a hack, anything sucks. in the hands of someone who thinks about what they're doing, an active can be made to sound abolutely lovely when clean.

Quote by Rock Pig
The advantages of actives are noiselessness, note articulation and monster gain.
the use of the term "gain" is dreadfully misused, but this is neither the time nor the place.
low noise? absolutely!
note articulation? not really.

Quote by Rock Pig
The advantages of passives are punchy tone, versatility, range of different options, and general better-ness,
better-ness.

Quote by Rock Pig
although that's just my and every other non-metallers opinion.
pretentious and assumptive.

speak for yourself, not for others in our group.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Rock Pig
If a pickup is active, it will state it QUITE clearly on the product description. Usually, it'll have a black cover over it too, but this varies. Mainly, actives are either EMGs or Duncan Blackouts. Dimarzio, surprisingly, don't do any active models.

Ignore that guy with the Strat; active cleans generally suck.
The advantages of passives are punchy tone, versatility, range of different options, and general better-ness, although that's just my and every other non-metallers opinion.

David Gilmour wants to have a chat with you.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
rude and pretentious.

just don't, please.

Calm down; what do you think I was trying to say? I'm not going "oh my god that guy with the strat is an asshole," I respect his opinion and stuff, I just, sort of, disagree with it. and am strongly opinionated >.>

in the hands of a hack, anything sucks. in the hands of someone who thinks about what they're doing, an active can be made to sound abolutely lovely when clean.

My point is that in the hands of the same player, through the same amp, good active cleans will simply not be as good as good passive cleans. There is simply no arguing with that.

the use of the term "gain" is dreadfully misused, but this is neither the time nor the place.
low noise? absolutely!
note articulation? not really.

You know what I mean by gain :p
And, I suspect you have a rough idea of what I meant by note articulation too. I couldn't quite put it into words at that point, but it's the reason EMGs are so popular with shred guitarists. Perhaps I've missed something here, or I read that off an advertisement :p

better-ness.

It's my opinion. And I am in fact very practised in proper usage of the English language. It's the internet, which is by definition a place to dick around

pretentious and assumptive.

speak for yourself, not for others in our group.

A sweeping generalisation, definitely, but it's a generalisation. I'm not trying to speak for every human on Earth, I'm just stating that an average blues or whatever player will prefer passives. There will always be deviations and things, but you can't criticise somebody for saying all agathis is crappy tonewood just because there are a couple of half-decent pieces. Same sort of thing.

I hope I haven't offended anyone with my opinions
Anyhoo I use passive pickups and play metal, they sound great. Dimarzio D-Activators, Woo!
Quote by Rock Pig
Calm down; what do you think I was trying to say? I'm not going "oh my god that guy with the strat is an asshole," I respect his opinion and stuff, I just, sort of, disagree with it. and am strongly opinionated >.>
that's entirely different than what you previously said.

"ignore him" completely dismissed his opinion.
you didn't only disagree with his opinion, you implied is wasn't even worth considering.

Quote by Rock Pig
My point is that in the hands of the same player, through the same amp, good active cleans will simply not be as good as good passive cleans. There is simply no arguing with that.
EMG 81 & 89 in a Les Paul through a Ampeg V4b and and 8-10 cab. volume on the guitar rolled back. Cleans blew away anything I could do with a LP with SD 59s.

Consider it argued.

Quote by Rock Pig
A sweeping generalisation, definitely, but it's a generalisation. I'm not trying to speak for every human on Earth, I'm just stating that an average blues or whatever player will prefer passives. There will always be deviations and things, but you can't criticise somebody for saying all agathis is crappy tonewood just because there are a couple of half-decent pieces. Same sort of thing.
just pointing out that you don't speak for me. and i'm one of those "every non-metallers" you spoke of.

Quote by Rock Pig
I hope I haven't offended anyone with my opinions
only when you presumed to speak for me. otherwise, your opinions are as valid as anyone's.

personally i find passives much easier to work with. but to dismiss actives entirely for non-metal use is throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
When I said "ignore the guy with the strat," I meant that I didn't agree with his opinion. When I said "every other non-metaller," I meant most other non-metallers.
We seem to have reached this misunderstanding through an unfortunate mincing of words on my part. If you see fit to withdraw and put this thread back on the course of civil discussion, I will do the same. I apologise for allowing my views and opinions to be misinterpreted to such an extent. Inconceivable for someone workig at A* standard in his literacy GCSEs

As for your active cleans, I'm quite surprised. Again I perhaps misworded this, but my view was not that it's impossible to get good cleans from an EMG, rather that in general they will produce inferior cleans to a guitar with passives of the same relative quality.

I hope you won't judge me falsely on this drastic miswording of my views.

TS, you can have your thread back now.
Case in point, actives are also bitches to install.
not really^
just a few more wires.
not hard at all, just gotta know what to do.
but you have to have room for the battery.
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ