so i finished building my 2x12 yesterday and hooked it up to see if i had gone anywhere as this was my first build. it didnt blow up, a plus, but i have a problem with one of the speakers. it barely drives, when there is a resonable amount of bass it makes the whole thing sound like shit, the way the other speaker is fine, just needs to break-in. my question is wat the hell is wrong wit it? i noticed that if a push the cone i little bit, it makes a noise like its pushing against something, i did this as i played n it made a feedback kinda noise. any suggetsions, ideas? thnks.
Quote by loco1rocker
so i finished building my 2x12 yesterday and hooked it up to see if i had gone anywhere as this was my first build. it didnt blow up, a plus, but i have a problem with one of the speakers. it barely drives, when there is a resonable amount of bass it makes the whole thing sound like shit, the way the other speaker is fine, just needs to break-in. my question is wat the hell is wrong wit it? i noticed that if a push the cone i little bit, it makes a noise like its pushing against something, i did this as i played n it made a feedback kinda noise. any suggetsions, ideas? thnks.

Are they two 12's in one cabinet?

Meaning, is the space behind each speaker, one space or two separate spaces?

Is the cabinet sealed or ported?

You might want to consider driving each speaker individually to see if both work on their own.
Last edited by Skeet UK at Nov 8, 2008,
Quote by loco1rocker
yes there is 2 12's in one cab.
it is neither, its is open back.

Ok so they are Free air drivers.

You need to try each one. Are you able to adjust your Amp output to power one driver (Ohm's wise)?

It's possible the other driver is fooked.
Quote by loco1rocker
no, thats the f up part

You may need to explain that further...
Quote by loco1rocker
sounds like you either fried the voice-coil or warped the frame of the speaker when you bolted it to the cabinet. a warped frame will cause the voice-coil to rub against the magnet.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
sounds like you either fried the voice-coil or warped the frame of the speaker when you bolted it to the cabinet. a warped frame will cause the voice-coil to rub against the magnet.

I would go along with that.

If you didn't have a properly round hole to insert the speaker in, when you screw it down, it can crush the cage, which as our Hero said, will make the voice coil, bind on the magnet.

That will cause it to burn out by the way...