Okay....I havnt seen one of these thread in awhile, and as christmas is coming up I need some ideas for both me and presents for others.

I am a huge fan of Chuck Palahnuik and have all his books, so no chuck suggestions, although any good authors/books of a similar genre would be great. I have also already read most of the usual suggestions of 1984, brave new world, do androids dream of electric sheep, catcher in the rye, man in the high castle, trainspotting and animal farm, is there any other real good classics that I havnt heard of/thought? And while we are at it, what about decent kind of films, im more in to the dark indie-esque films, trainspotting, requim for a dream, fightclub, where the buffalo roam, fear and loathing in las vegas etc.
Book: On the Road by Kerouac?

Film: If you're into foreign films, I just saw an absolutely fantastic movie that seems to fit in with your 'style' All About Lily Chou-Chou is the title.

Enjoy~

P.S. I'm a womanfolk! : )
sraeb

Quote by Trefellin
Show me your erection or gtfo... please.
Books: House of Leaves by Danielewski, scariest most amazing book i've ever read.
The Beach by Garland, don't see the shitty movie version.

Movies: Pi; Waking Life; Se7en; Primer
Quote by candysars
The best Pokemon is Metapod. Name him Wiener or P3n1s, and then use harden. LAWLZ everytime.

Schecter C-1 Elite EMG 81/85
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Phillip pullmans dark materials.. its an obvious answer but they are awesome!

and also Lord of the Flies is a mint book... if u get into it and understand it..
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Books

Post Office - Charles Bukowski
A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole
The Stranger/The Outsider - Albert Camus
Slaughterhouse 5- Kurt Vonnegut

Films
Being John Malkovich

EDIT: also, you'll probably like a lot of David Lynch films: Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet etc.
Last edited by xX*Zeppelin*Xx at Nov 8, 2008,
Another film: The Machinist
Quote by candysars
The best Pokemon is Metapod. Name him Wiener or P3n1s, and then use harden. LAWLZ everytime.

Schecter C-1 Elite EMG 81/85
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
Books

Post Office - Charles Bukowski
A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole
The Stranger/The Outsider - Albert Camus
Slaughterhouse 5- Kurt Vonnegut

Films
Being John Malkovich

EDIT: also, you'll probably like a lot of David Lynch films: Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet etc.

i might be in love with you
Quote by tugboat
Book: On the Road by Kerouac?

I've got that, still need to start it, it looks brilliant. I remember Russel Brand doing a great documentary on that book - so good it makes up for that Radio 2 clusterfuck.

TS, try American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by freddaahh
I've got that, still need to start it, it looks brilliant. I remember Russel Brand doing a great documentary on that book - so good it makes up for that Radio 2 clusterfuck.

TS, try American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis.

Trust me, you won't be disappointed with Kerouac... EVER.

P.S. I'm a womanfolk! : )
sraeb

Quote by Trefellin
Show me your erection or gtfo... please.
Thanks for all the great suggestions so far, half of the books I've meant to look in to and forgot all about them, so its all good.

And it seems like its just me...but I couldnt get in to On The Road....I really tried but couldnt get in to it, this was a good 3/4 years ago though, so I should probably try again.
For films try anything by Charlie Kaufman, I love him, I think Being John Malkovich was already mentioned.

If you don't mind subtitles (or if you speak french) C.R.A.Z.Y., L'Audition or The Red Violin (which is partly in english), I've watched both in french class and they were amazing, pretty much every french movie I've seen has been great, it's weird, cause I hate the language.

Magnolia and Pi are also good movies that's I've recently re-watched, I'm kind of a movie freak, I watch a couple every night...

And if you like car chase movies Gone in Sixty seconds (the original) and Vanishing Point are good, I don't really like action movies but I love both of these even though they both contain hour long (literally) car chases.
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
Films: Lantana, American History X, Shallow Grave, The Royal Tenenbaums, Collateral, Burn After Reading, Zodiac, Lucky Number Slevin, Natural Born Killers, The Usual Suspects

Those are a whole host of genres, but they're all fairly dark and odd.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Films: 8 1/2 (although it is Italian and black and white), Eraserhead, Naked Lunch, The Conformist (again, Italian though in color), Videodrome

A book you should check out is Naked Lunch (the novel). I would get it from the library if you can because it is a love it or hate it book. But if you love it, it will complete change the way you look at literature.
Dark indie films?

David Lynch - Mulholland Drive, Eraserhead, Blue Velvet etc...
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Is their any other dar/twisted films that im missing out on that arnt neccesarily indie? Im also quite interested in 'Drug films', trainspotting, fear and loathing, where the buffalo roam, requim for a dream-all drug related films and all some of my favourite films.